• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Shanaban thread

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact he got 5 mins for an elbow that wasnt an elbow kind of puts that back in no?

The refs error in calling the penalty will not affect the errors the league makes in their rulings.
Remember they can rule there was intent. Prove there was no intent to injure. Other the the player, who's opinion is biased, the league will rely on it's judgement. So you are doomed.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spin-n-win3_000.jpg

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic that you and I just had a discussion about Rinaldo and what you felt was a physical but clean hockey player. He's a meatsack and goon. This latest cheap shot just cements it.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic that you and I just had a discussion about Rinaldo and what you felt was a physical but clean hockey player. He's a meatsack and goon. This latest cheap shot just cements it.

See what I find interesting is that you spent a whole post defending Neal cross checking someone in the face and saying that he didn't deserve a suspension after at least 5 other reviewable incidents this year. Then I come in and openly admit that Rinaldo did a dumb thing and needs to be suspended. This proves to me that you must own a pair of those rose colored glasses when it comes to your Peguins.

It's also funny that I knew you would be the one to post this, I'm actually surprised it took you this long honestly.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted it for you, buddy. I knew you would be the first one here with a reaction :ss:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet the game situation plays into the suspension as well. That's a 4-0 game in the 3rd against the worst team in the league.

Philly's playoff odds are pretty high right now (98% according to National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats) and Rinaldo has some history, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the NHL try to use him as an example and give him the rest of the regular season.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted it for you, buddy. I knew you would be the first one here with a reaction :ss:

I'm glad you did I was taking my morning dump and was hoping for something to read.

Well you got it he deserves to be suspended, see that's called an unbiased assessment. I have no issue admitting that but he did score so maybe he'll get off Scott free under the "Neal rule".

The real problem is the disciplinary committee is a joke. It needs to be totally redone and go to a 3 person panel 1 NHL rep, 1 former player & union rep and 1 retired referee. That's the only way the game will ever get cleaned up.

There is an article with Rinaldo saying how dumb it was. I'll post the quote (not sure of the source as it isn't listed) but he still needs to be forcefully sat a couple games. I also don't feel there is enough acknowledgement of how dangerous the hit was by Rinaldo.

"I had a lot of speed going at him. I put my shoulder down, and as he shot the puck my shoulder hit him clearly," Rinaldo said. "Proof is in the pudding right there. I shouldn't have done it. There's no need for it. We're up 4-0, but it's part of the game.
"That always happens with me. I get on a good streak and then something bad always happens. I try not to think about it too much."

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet the game situation plays into the suspension as well. That's a 4-0 game in the 3rd against the worst team in the league.

Philly's playoff odds are pretty high right now (98% according to National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats) and Rinaldo has some history, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the NHL try to use him as an example and give him the rest of the regular season.

This was just talked about on the Flyers board and here was my response on why I don't think it'll be the rest if the regular season.

"The league will definitely suspend him but I doubt it will be for more then 2. They'll come up with some bullshit about how the shooter had a responsibility to not put himself in that position, which is of course total crap but they've been way too lenient this year and I don't believe Rinaldo has enough of a history to get the full force of the hammer yet. Now if that was Torres who has been suspended for long periods of time for repeated disregard for players safety I could see a 50 games or so. I'm pretty sure he'll be available come playoff time, I'm not defending him just saying I don't think the league can do a huge suspension with the way they've acted all year. That whole system needs a revamp and some accountability anyway."

That also some what rehashes a point in my last post here. Discipline has been severely lacking this year after all the tough talk of the past few.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that said if he gets a lengthy suspension the season plus playoff games I won't argue it. The change in suspension mentality does need to change somewhere and enough guys have already been hurt this season and in seasons past, some have lost their careers.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh.. and i just used rinaldo as an example of how to play the pest role cleanly too.. what an asshole.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh.. and i just used rinaldo as an example of how to play the pest role cleanly too.. what an asshole.

There is a difference between a hard nosed guy who plays on edge and sometimes crosses it and a guy who is always in danger of hurting someone and occasionally crosses the line back into clean play.

That was a completely unnecessary hit at any point, but up by 4 it is doubly bad. Rinaldo plays hard and is a pest, but I don't typically fear for someone's safety when he's out there. Kind of along the David Backes line.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was just talked about on the Flyers board and here was my response on why I don't think it'll be the rest if the regular season.

"The league will definitely suspend him but I doubt it will be for more then 2. They'll come up with some bullshit about how the shooter had a responsibility to not put himself in that position, which is of course total crap but they've been way too lenient this year and I don't believe Rinaldo has enough of a history to get the full force of the hammer yet. Now if that was Torres who has been suspended for long periods of time for repeated disregard for players safety I could see a 50 games or so. I'm pretty sure he'll be available come playoff time, I'm not defending him just saying I don't think the league can do a huge suspension with the way they've acted all year. That whole system needs a revamp and some accountability anyway."

That also some what rehashes a point in my last post here. Discipline has been severely lacking this year after all the tough talk of the past few.

They have definitely been all over the board this year. That's part of why I think they might use this as their "hey look, we're not as soft on this sort of thing as you think" event.

Suspending him for 4 games is a safe move for the league on a lot of levels. The Flyers are unlikely to miss the POs (one could argue Rinaldo isn't important to that anyhow) so there's little risk to the team in hitting him for the regular season, so the Flyers are unlikely to be too upset since he's back for the POs then.

Four games also goes to the max they can do without an in-person hearing and is below the threshold that allows the player to file an appeal.

Then there's the perception of the league being able to say in their shiny video presentation that "the Dept. of Player Safety has suspended Zac Rinaldo for the remainder of the regular season" (emphasis mine).

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a difference between a hard nosed guy who plays on edge and sometimes crosses it and a guy who is always in danger of hurting someone and occasionally crosses the line back into clean play.

That was a completely unnecessary hit at any point, but up by 4 it is doubly bad. Rinaldo plays hard and is a pest, but I don't typically fear for someone's safety when he's out there. Kind of along the David Backes line.

That might be the first - and last - time that Zac Rinaldo gets compared to David Backes.