• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1st Round Grade for 49ers

1st Rd Grade for 49ers?

• A

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • B

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • C

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • D

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • F

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid pick in my opinion, but certainly not a homerun. Could be the 9ers nickel corner, while backing up safety, and being a beast on special teams. Maybe in the future he moves into the starting lineup at safety or corner. Nice to get to get a guy at 30 who may be able to contribute right away for this talented 9er team.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't look great against FSU. I put up a video in another Thread I think.

I thought he looked pretty good in that video you posted against a very good FSU offense. He showed great tackling form, stuck to WR's like glue for the most part when asked to cover, and was disruptive when he blitzed.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the DT from Florida that NE picked? Could be HUGE in the NFL. He was also a senior, means nothing!

Linemen are different. They stay because size is a huge factor in the NFL and those kids are still growing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is no reason to have him as your target in the 1st rd. We don't need a safety. We have other needs at CB and WR.

The GM who drafted him, the coach, and his college tape all say that he will play a substantial number of snaps at nickel CB. He is not just a safety.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The fact that he was still in school as a senior, tells you something right there. How the fuck could they have passed on Marquise Lee?

Seriously? That's maybe the dumbest argument I've seen re: this draft pick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A big, fast receiver was a necessity for this team. He goes up and catches bad balls like Boldin does. We all know how inaccurate kaepernick is. He could use another big guy who is fast and has great hands.

Lee is under 6', 192 pounds, and ran a 4.5+. He's neither big nor fast.

And a slot corner was CLEARLY a more immediate need for this team than WR.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee is under 6', 192 pounds, and ran a 4.5+. He's neither big nor fast.

And a slot corner was CLEARLY a more immediate need for this team than WR.

Rumor I heard laat night was the 49ers didnt think the quality of the Corners that went early were worth giving up picks to trade for. Maybe teams wanted too much to trade up

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
yea.. They tried to lowball the Cowboys at a first and third, and Dallas basically laughed them off the phone..

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners will have the last laugh when they beat the Cowboys on opening week. Their defense has more holes than Swiss cheese.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
After the initial surprise of the pick it's does fill a glaring need in having a CB that can cover the slot.

Quality slot WR have killed us in the past. Cruz destroyed Rogers in the NFC Championship game and has had a good game every time we played the Giants since 2011. Harvin burned us in the Vikings loss in 2012 and Amendola blew us up in that tie against the Rams also in 2012.

So consider our division in that we'll be seeing Harvin and Austin twice a year not to mention we could see the Packers or Saints in they playoffs it's clear the slot CB spot was a spot that really needed to be addressed.

As far as his issues goes it does seem like they are fixable and I do have faith in Donatell to coach him up.

I'm not in love with the pick but if he does pan out as a great slot CB and maybe eventual starter at FS I think a 30th is justified for him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh, and having seen what the Hawks got for the 32nd pick, I think we made the right move not to trade back. Not only did we secure the guy who Baalke says was the last guy with a first-round grade on his board (not that that's worth all that much), but we can keep that guy with the 5th-year option if he pans out. That's worth more than the 4th rounder assuming we made the right pick (obviously that still remains to be seen).

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first reaction was who? After watching some tape the guy looks legit but I really wanted that receiver from Vanderbilt Jordan Mathews who will be a star. Also the receiver form USC Marqise Lee is a stud. I hope the 49ers move up and get at least one of these guys.

After pick #1 I give Miller a B grade but he has the potential to be a A. Today's 2nd (2 picks ) and 3rd (3 picks) rounds will be the money picks.

This dude Jordan Mathews is the real deal.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first reaction was who? After watching some tape the guy looks legit but I really wanted that receiver from Vanderbilt Jordan Mathews who will be a star. Also the receiver form USC Marqise Lee is a stud. I hope the 49ers move up and get at least one of these guys.

After pick #1 I give Miller a B grade but he has the potential to be a A. Today's 2nd (2 picks ) and 3rd (3 picks) rounds will be the money picks.

Correction... I meant # 1 pick Ward instead of Miller.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Oh, and having seen what the Hawks got for the 32nd pick, I think we made the right move not to trade back. Not only did we secure the guy who Baalke says was the last guy with a first-round grade on his board (not that that's worth all that much), but we can keep that guy with the 5th-year option if he pans out. That's worth more than the 4th rounder assuming we made the right pick (obviously that still remains to be seen).

I agree and even moreso for us who have more picks than they know what to do with.

I mean if I'm in Seattle and in a situation where the cap is going to have to be carefully managed I would much rather the 5th year option on a guy and keep him on the cheap that much longer before he gets his long term deal.

Of course sliding down and grabbing another pick in the 4th round isn't a terrible move by any means especially if you get quality depth or even a starter out of it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's why I'm glad we didn't go WR, though. There are a lot of talented WRs left on the board. I do expect something of a run on them, so I'm all for moving up for one, but I love the remaining WR crop and we should be able to get a good one. It remains to be seen if we can coach him up and implement a scheme that appropriately utilizes him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree and even moreso for us who have more picks than they know what to do with.

I mean if I'm in Seattle and in a situation where the cap is going to have to be carefully managed I would much rather the 5th year option on a guy and keep him on the cheap that much longer before he gets his long term deal.

Of course sliding down and grabbing another pick in the 4th round isn't a terrible move by any means especially if you get quality depth or even a starter out of it.

I generally agree, but they were saying all their first round guys were gone. In that case, trading back is probably fine. They could use some more picks anyway. They're looking at OL, and they've been a little shaky adding talent there lately. A 4th round pick could develop into a starting OG or RT.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Mathews is the cousin of Jerry Rice. This guy should be a 49er. Go watch the tape of this guy. He is a great player.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Mathews is the cousin of Jerry Rice. This guy should be a 49er. Go watch the tape of this guy. He is a great player.

I still think Niners will still draft a WR. Must look beyond 2014 with Crabs being a FA in 2015. Matthews would be a great addition to the team. Niners may look to address pass rush with the uncertainties of Aldon Smith.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to read up a bit on Ward before commenting. I was at a draft party and was surprised on the pick. He seems to be a good fit for a nickel defense. In the end I have to give the grade a B- ,so a B for this poll. I have to wonder if after trading up to pick Watkins that the Bills were looking to trade Johnson during that time and did this have an impact on the 9ers'decision to stay put at 30? I also wonder if the 9ers even tried to trade up or back at all. So far I like our situation with two positions filled and we haven't even started the 2nd round.:10:Maybe a trade back? DE comes to mind now as well as a CB and WR still ,but some of the pressure is off.