• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1968 Sugar Bowl

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]kUHiAfps--s[/YOUTUBE]

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at losing to an unranked LSU team....

andyham7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at that game, just about 8 or 9 years old, but I remember Nelson Stokely and Glen Smith, however My family had season tics during those years and I dont remember Smith in any other game but the Sugar and he was MVP. I went to every home game plus a few others that year. (My dad was a die hard his whole life, he played in the Golden Band from Tigerland when Huey Long was the bands and football teams main supporter. I am sure he still cheers the purple and gold from up above now) The only explanation for Smith that year must have been someone got hurt in the regular season, I dont know(will look up) I do remember Wyoming had Jim Kiick of the Miami Dolphins fame. He ran the ball for that undefeated super bowl champ team that every NFL team now shoots to knock out the record books. They also had the best Place Kicker in the nation that could BOOM EM! I think he held the record for longest FG back then for quite a while, he made that kick that year during reg season and he made a pretty long one against LSU as time expired in 1st half if memory serves. It was pretty good game that was memorable cuz it snowed in New Orleans the day before and snow was in stands and on ground the day of game. Very unusual to have snow on ground for any period of time in New Orleans, but it snowed hard!

andyham7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldnt find out why Smith was non existant with his play that year, but did find and remember all too well the other backs playing and returning kicks for LSU. "Trigger" Allen and Sammy Grezaffi (not sure about spelling) they were awesome, add to that a freshman wide reciever named Tommy Morel with Stokeley throwing it to him and you have a team that should have been playing for the NC, or at least the SEC Champ. They had a guy named John Garlington on D, plus a host of others. Back in those years when Screen, Stokeley, Bert Jones, Woodley, Ensminger, Paul Lyons and Freddie Haynes were QBing LSU, Charlie Mac missed a Buttload of opportunity(from 1963 to about 1976) to claim more championships than he did. In fairness, he was going up against BEAR every year, not many teams can say they bested him in that era. LSU beat him only 3 times, only twice while Mac was HC!