• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

17 days until the draft.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would also assume that we'll be bringing in a UFL qb as our 3rd stringer if needed, most likely AJ McCarron again.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A move that most may not realize as an impact to the draft, but adding a 2nd year to the contract likely means the Bengals are not going to use a late(r) round pick on a PS QB or future backup QB this year.

I would not be shocked, however, if for the 2nd year in a row the Bengals look to draft a punter in round 6 or 7...'ol boy was very bad last year...

Signed Logan Woodside back also.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised Jake resigned for 2 years. He is a starting quality QB in this league. I am surprised Denver, Las Vegas or New England didn't ask about him. New England could have had Jake Browning and then drafted Marvin Harrison Jr.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised Jake resigned for 2 years. He is a starting quality QB in this league. I am surprised Denver, Las Vegas or New England didn't ask about him. New England could have had Jake Browning and then drafted Marvin Harrison Jr.
Well, Browning was restricted for this year - and it wouldn't make sense after last year for the Bengals to trade him and leave their backup to no-one ready in case Burrow misses time. And, frankly, it's something that has to be accounted for.

The draft pick offered likely wouldn't be worth what the backup would provide for the Bengals. Very similar to the Higgins situation - it hurts this years - and the pick isn't going to be enough to off-set the loss this year, a year in which the Bengals feel they can win the S.B. with a healthy squad - and I don't blame them.

The 2nd year is intriguing, but backups are backups for reasons - and likely having that 2nd year of security was worth more to Browning than ending up in a situation where you are having to re-learn an entire offense - and let's face it - he's not going to be the #1 guy for a starting position. These teams are going to draft a high QB draft pick and then have to play them to justify the pick.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Browning was restricted for this year - and it wouldn't make sense after last year for the Bengals to trade him and leave their backup to no-one ready in case Burrow misses time. And, frankly, it's something that has to be accounted for.

The draft pick offered likely wouldn't be worth what the backup would provide for the Bengals. Very similar to the Higgins situation - it hurts this years - and the pick isn't going to be enough to off-set the loss this year, a year in which the Bengals feel they can win the S.B. with a healthy squad - and I don't blame them.

The 2nd year is intriguing, but backups are backups for reasons - and likely having that 2nd year of security was worth more to Browning than ending up in a situation where you are having to re-learn an entire offense - and let's face it - he's not going to be the #1 guy for a starting position. These teams are going to draft a high QB draft pick and then have to play them to justify the pick.
I know. But why take a high draft pick QB when you see a guy producing at a higher rate than Burrow was during a year on the Bengals (not saying Browning is better than Burrow, not at all). Just that he was producing with injuries all around him and helping this team average damn near 30 points a game. Browning, who was producing in a short stint as a starter, versus a rookie you are investing heavily in just hoping and praying he is not the next Jamarcus Russell, don't seem doable all the time. Too many error factors, the human factor. I know that teams want these young affordable superstar QB's. Of the 5-6 potential 1st round QB's being looked at this year, which ones would you call a safe bet, which ones would you say is less of a safe bet than Browning is?

Don't get me wrong, I am glad he is here, I just really like the kid and want to see him get a chance someday soon. Sitting behind Burrow is not going to net him many chances. He needs a chance like Garoppolo did when sitting under Brady. The 49ers gave him that chance, and while things weren't perfect, he did lead them to a lot of wins during his time there. Just saying Browning needs that chance.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. But why take a high draft pick QB when you see a guy producing at a higher rate than Burrow was during a year on the Bengals (not saying Browning is better than Burrow, not at all). Just that he was producing with injuries all around him and helping this team average damn near 30 points a game. Browning, who was producing in a short stint as a starter, versus a rookie you are investing heavily in just hoping and praying he is not the next Jamarcus Russell, don't seem doable all the time. Too many error factors, the human factor. I know that teams want these young affordable superstar QB's. Of the 5-6 potential 1st round QB's being looked at this year, which ones would you call a safe bet, which ones would you say is less of a safe bet than Browning is?

Don't get me wrong, I am glad he is here, I just really like the kid and want to see him get a chance someday soon. Sitting behind Burrow is not going to net him many chances. He needs a chance like Garoppolo did when sitting under Brady. The 49ers gave him that chance, and while things weren't perfect, he did lead them to a lot of wins during his time there. Just saying Browning needs that chance.
I get what you are saying - but it's taking a 7 game stretch and suddenly declaring that this is a guy who can lead a franchise is a massive gamble. I mean - this isn't the first time a backup has come in, done really freaking well, left via F/A or trade and then shown absolutely nothing. It's happened several times recently. Foles, Menshew just to name 2 are guys who showed out - got paid, moved one, and then did nothing - and it's cost people their jobs.

Sign him as a F/A? Sure. You bring him in as insurance with drafting a top QB - but you are not trading for Browning with designs of suddenly him being "the" guy.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying - but it's taking a 7 game stretch and suddenly declaring that this is a guy who can lead a franchise is a massive gamble. I mean - this isn't the first time a backup has come in, done really freaking well, left via F/A or trade and then shown absolutely nothing. It's happened several times recently. Foles, Menshew just to name 2 are guys who showed out - got paid, moved one, and then did nothing - and it's cost people their jobs.

Sign him as a F/A? Sure. You bring him in as insurance with drafting a top QB - but you are not trading for Browning with designs of suddenly him being "the" guy.
You sign him to very low starter contract, $7-$8 million a year, 3 year deal. You may have had to trade for him, but it wouldn't have been a ridiculous haul. Then you can draft a developmental QB in the mid rounds to learn behind a vet. For a team drafting in the middle to later of the draft that is lacking a QB, this is a great plan. You don't want to sacrificing the future for a single draft pick that may or may not turn into anything. You are giving yourself a guy with potential to grow on as Browning is not exactly old.

Plus, Foles had just won a Superbowl and got over paid. Minshew has not been a bad journeyman.

However, Browning shouldn't have probably been a backup. His numbers coming out of high school and college were other worldly. So many guys with way worth stats gardening so much more respect and higher value all off combine athletic scores. Which is why Richardson from the Colts went #3, and Zack Wilson went #2 overall. This is also why Tom Brady falls to pick 199. Because when it comes to the most important position on the football field, they are putting too much value on athletic score at the combine versus intelligence, game film and the intangibles. Browning is not exactly a slouch in athleticism, but he grades out much higher in the other areas that are taken more for granted after the combine scores.

That is my 2 cents.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sign him to very low starter contract, $7-$8 million a year, 3 year deal. You may have had to trade for him, but it wouldn't have been a ridiculous haul. Then you can draft a developmental QB in the mid rounds to learn behind a vet. For a team drafting in the middle to later of the draft that is lacking a QB, this is a great plan. You don't want to sacrificing the future for a single draft pick that may or may not turn into anything. You are giving yourself a guy with potential to grow on as Browning is not exactly old.

Plus, Foles had just won a Superbowl and got over paid. Minshew has not been a bad journeyman.

However, Browning shouldn't have probably been a backup. His numbers coming out of high school and college were other worldly. So many guys with way worth stats gardening so much more respect and higher value all off combine athletic scores. Which is why Richardson from the Colts went #3, and Zack Wilson went #2 overall. This is also why Tom Brady falls to pick 199. Because when it comes to the most important position on the football field, they are putting too much value on athletic score at the combine versus intelligence, game film and the intangibles. Browning is not exactly a slouch in athleticism, but he grades out much higher in the other areas that are taken more for granted after the combine scores.

That is my 2 cents.
And then again - WHY would the Bengals do it if the draft pick isn't going to be worth keeping him as a backup?

Getting a 5th rounder doesn't do squat for the Bengals if Burrow goes down again...and at this point, you absolutely have to factor that in - it is likely Burrow will get injured again. He is worth more to them as a backup than a 5th round pick - especially this year.

My point about Foles and Menshew are that they are guys who did well as the backup, moved on - but have shown they are not starting material.

Not to mention - your QB contract is massively incorrect. That's less than 1st round rookies make. Lawrence makes $9M. Stroud.

If you are going to make him a starter, then you have to pay him like a starter in the NFL that isn't on a rookie deal. The lowest starter salary is Menshew (I think he's the starter in LV, not sure). Otherwise it's Geno Smith at $25M. Split that for arguments sake - and you are talking about giving a guy a $18M contract based on 7 games...

Man...you better be 100% sure you are getting that right, or that is a massive miss - and likely your job. Which is why likely no one has broken down the door looking to trade for him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then again - WHY would the Bengals do it if the draft pick isn't going to be worth keeping him as a backup?

Getting a 5th rounder doesn't do squat for the Bengals if Burrow goes down again...and at this point, you absolutely have to factor that in - it is likely Burrow will get injured again. He is worth more to them as a backup than a 5th round pick - especially this year.

My point about Foles and Menshew are that they are guys who did well as the backup, moved on - but have shown they are not starting material.

Not to mention - your QB contract is massively incorrect. That's less than 1st round rookies make. Lawrence makes $9M. Stroud.

If you are going to make him a starter, then you have to pay him like a starter in the NFL that isn't on a rookie deal. The lowest starter salary is Menshew (I think he's the starter in LV, not sure). Otherwise it's Geno Smith at $25M. Split that for arguments sake - and you are talking about giving a guy a $18M contract based on 7 games...

Man...you better be 100% sure you are getting that right, or that is a massive miss - and likely your job. Which is why likely no one has broken down the door looking to trade for him.
I am just saying if I was Browning, I would not have signed a 2 year deal. I would have taken the 1. If you look at what he is making now, and what 7 to 8 million is, then you can see the advantage of this. Doesn't matter what everyone else is making. You were a backup with a limited history at starting in this league. I am handing you the keys probationary, and if you excel and become a star or a quality QB we can't let go, that salary will go up. You may see escalators in that contract helping him make more in year 2 and 3. But you also gave him a contract that says, if you fail, I am giving myself an easy out or making you a backup again. This is your shot.

Sitting the bench for 2 years gives you no shot. I appreciate your feedback, but there is no way a guy hoping to be a starter in this league, is hitting his late 20's is not going to take that contract and take a chance on himself.

I fully agree with you on the Bengals. Trade value may not have been what they are looking for, but they also really like Jake and want to see him succeed. If a legit offer came their way, say a 3rd or 4th round pick with him getting a guaranteed starting job with the next team, you may let him go for that trade value and try to do the best you can to sign a quality backup QB. I mean shit, I would have taken Fields for what Chicago sold him for.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just saying if I was Browning, I would not have signed a 2 year deal. I would have taken the 1. If you look at what he is making now, and what 7 to 8 million is, then you can see the advantage of this. Doesn't matter what everyone else is making. You were a backup with a limited history at starting in this league. I am handing you the keys probationary, and if you excel and become a star or a quality QB we can't let go, that salary will go up. You may see escalators in that contract helping him make more in year 2 and 3. But you also gave him a contract that says, if you fail, I am giving myself an easy out or making you a backup again. This is your shot.

Sitting the bench for 2 years gives you no shot. I appreciate your feedback, but there is no way a guy hoping to be a starter in this league, is hitting his late 20's is not going to take that contract and take a chance on himself.

I fully agree with you on the Bengals. Trade value may not have been what they are looking for, but they also really like Jake and want to see him succeed. If a legit offer came their way, say a 3rd or 4th round pick with him getting a guaranteed starting job with the next team, you may let him go for that trade value and try to do the best you can to sign a quality backup QB. I mean shit, I would have taken Fields for what Chicago sold him for.
That 1st sentence - we agree. Until he speaks, we don't know why.

But, we'll disagree on what he would get. If you sign to compete as a backup, potential starter, then yes - the contract may be in the $10-$12 range. Menshew makes $12.5, and I don't see any QB not on a rookie deal that is brought in to start making less than that. Just not going to happen with how NFL contracts work. But more to your point - it's likely why teams aren't knocking down the door to trade for him.

The Bengals are going to value him much more than what other teams would realistically give up without naming him the starter of that team. If you are sending a 3rd or 4th round pick - that guy better be starting. He's also going to get paid, as mentioned, well more than a rookie. If teams are only going to offer a 5th or likely 6th round pick - the Bengals value him way more than a 6th rounder. So, again to the original point - this is why, likely, no other team has traded for him. Kind of the same deal with Higgins. His value to the Bengals for 1 year is vastly more than what other teams are willing to give up.

But - as to the point of why a 2 year deal? No clue. But if he didn't want to sign that contract, he didn't have to. He could have taken his 1 year ERFA contract, and been a F/A next year. He chose to stay.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, we'll disagree on what he would get. If you sign to compete as a backup, potential starter, then yes - the contract may be in the $10-$12 range. Menshew makes $12.5, and I don't see any QB not on a rookie deal that is brought in to start making less than that. Just not going to happen with how NFL contracts work. But more to your point - it's likely why teams aren't knocking down the door to trade for him.

The Bengals are going to value him much more than what other teams would realistically give up without naming him the starter of that team. If you are sending a 3rd or 4th round pick - that guy better be starting. He's also going to get paid, as mentioned, well more than a rookie. If teams are only going to offer a 5th or likely 6th round pick - the Bengals value him way more than a 6th rounder. So, again to the original point - this is why, likely, no other team has traded for him. Kind of the same deal with Higgins. His value to the Bengals for 1 year is vastly more than what other teams are willing to give up.

But - as to the point of why a 2 year deal? No clue. But if he didn't want to sign that contract, he didn't have to. He could have taken his 1 year ERFA contract, and been a F/A next year. He chose to stay.
We can agree to disagree. I respect your point of view and feel it is valid. However, I just don't see a guy who is wanting to be a starting QB not taking $7-$8 million a year on a 2 to 3 year deal with potential escalators based on personal performance and team performance allowing that to go up. If you feel you have the talent, you take that. Gardner Minshew has a lot more starts under his belt. He was going to get more and at $12.5 million it is not a ton more.

We can agree the Bengals may not even of allowed the trade because they see more value in him. That is valid. We can agree no team wanted to put up t he trade value, money and gift him a starting job. Those are all determining factors of why this never had a chance.

However, we will not agree on the salary info no matter how you present it to me. A backup doesn't make $7-8 million a year usually. A backup doesn't have a chance to be "the man" and potentially play himself into a huge contract like Geno Smith wound up doing. If you want a chance at winning the lottery, you got to play the freaking lottery, and that may mean taking a smaller starter salary with a chance to win that big pay day down the road.

If you are Joe Burrow, you dictate your own terms. If you are Jake Browning and sitting on the bench behind a top 3 QB, well, you don't.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can agree to disagree. I respect your point of view and feel it is valid. However, I just don't see a guy who is wanting to be a starting QB not taking $7-$8 million a year on a 2 to 3 year deal with potential escalators based on personal performance and team performance allowing that to go up. If you feel you have the talent, you take that. Gardner Minshew has a lot more starts under his belt. He was going to get more and at $12.5 million it is not a ton more.

We can agree the Bengals may not even of allowed the trade because they see more value in him. That is valid. We can agree no team wanted to put up t he trade value, money and gift him a starting job. Those are all determining factors of why this never had a chance.

However, we will not agree on the salary info no matter how you present it to me. A backup doesn't make $7-8 million a year usually. A backup doesn't have a chance to be "the man" and potentially play himself into a huge contract like Geno Smith wound up doing. If you want a chance at winning the lottery, you got to play the freaking lottery, and that may mean taking a smaller starter salary with a chance to win that big pay day down the road.

If you are Joe Burrow, you dictate your own terms. If you are Jake Browning and sitting on the bench behind a top 3 QB, well, you don't.
I agree that if he left and went to a team where he was a backup competing - he would likely get a much smaller amount.

My angle was more towards: If a team traded for him, and gave up a 3rd or 4th rounder - then he's not a backup competing for the spot...he's the bona-fide starter - and he's going to get a contract that is equal to other starters in the league. Certainly not the top, or even the middle - but the worst starting contract is, again I think, Menshew at $12.5. Next is $25M in Geno. He's likely end up somewhere between those numbers, IMO. Again - though - that's coming in expecting to be THE guy...not a backup.

I think we've gone around a bit due to that distinction - you focusing more on his backup role in where he lands vs my angle of being the sure fire starter IF a team were to trade for him.

Certainly - if he stayed 1 year here, and left via F/A - it likely would be as a backup with an opportunity to start - and that salary range is not the same as being "the" guy.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was not going to be an unrestricted free agent next year. He does not have enough time on active rosters in the NFL to qualify for unrestricted free agency. He would have either been an exclusive rights free agent again or a restricted free agent (which is a little better for the player). By giving him a 2-year deal, the Bengals can give him a little more money than they would have if they did 2 different ERFA deals in each season, knowing that they are still getting a big bargain at back-up QB.

Is it optimal for Browning? Not really. I mean, he won't really be a free agent until he is 30. But, most guys never get off practice squads. He has essentially assured himself of two more years of salary, probably above minimum, and is on a team that he can succeed with if something happens to Burrow. At the end of all of this, he can look for another opportunity. But at the very least, he is now positioned to have a long career as a back-up (could be a Chase Daniel type) and he has some financial stability for the foreseeable future. I'm sure he would have taken it if this was offered last year at this time.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was not going to be an unrestricted free agent next year. He does not have enough time on active rosters in the NFL to qualify for unrestricted free agency. He would have either been an exclusive rights free agent again or a restricted free agent (which is a little better for the player). By giving him a 2-year deal, the Bengals can give him a little more money than they would have if they did 2 different ERFA deals in each season, knowing that they are still getting a big bargain at back-up QB.

Is it optimal for Browning? Not really. I mean, he won't really be a free agent until he is 30. But, most guys never get off practice squads. He has essentially assured himself of two more years of salary, probably above minimum, and is on a team that he can succeed with if something happens to Burrow. At the end of all of this, he can look for another opportunity. But at the very least, he is now positioned to have a long career as a back-up (could be a Chase Daniel type) and he has some financial stability for the foreseeable future. I'm sure he would have taken it if this was offered last year at this time.
And there you have it.

I am not familiar with the ERFA process - so wasn't sure. By the time I looked up his contract it had already been moved to the 2 year deal so I couldn't go back and see if he would still be an ERFA next year or not.

Makes sense then for him to sign.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think other teams have a very high impression of Jake Browning as a starter. maybe if we had made the playoffs.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think other teams have a very high impression of Jake Browning as a starter. maybe if we had made the playoffs.
I think he raised eyebrows - but it was 7 games...what happens in a full season? What happens when you don't have Chase/Higgins? What happens when teams have film and tape to really study?

7 games just isn't enough.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he raised eyebrows - but it was 7 games...what happens in a full season? What happens when you don't have Chase/Higgins? What happens when teams have film and tape to really study?

7 games just isn't enough.
I agree. If Browning was an unrestricted free agent, it's possible that a team would take a chance on him.... But it would be a situation where they also have a rookie or other option.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If Browning was an unrestricted free agent, it's possible that a team would take a chance on him.... But it would be a situation where they also have a rookie or other option.
Right. To the Bengals he's worth more than a 5th or 6th round pick.

To other teams, he's only worth, at most a 5th or 6th round pick. Any higher and they'd have to name him "the guy" - and then pay him accordingly.

Neither was going to happen.