• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 12/20-12/21 Weekend Game Discussion

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of good games this weekend, but not necessarily enough fans to warrant an individual game thread for every single one.

A win for 'Cuse again Nova would be huge and help a ton with the resume (especially since we've already lost 3 non-conference games).

I'm looking forward to seeing Concinnati against VCU too, haven't gotten to watch them yet and the upset the other night makes it more enticing.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time I've seen Cincy, and they look absolutely awful right now. They're playing very, very poor offense and the coaching is even worse.

They continue to allow VCU to come down the court and hit the same 3 point shots. The coach hasn't changed anything.

Bend_The_Rim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Harvard would give Virginia a good game. I was mistaken. That game was Kentucky/UCLA ugly.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's time we admit Virginia is really, really good. That is the best team in America outside of Kentucky and Duke, and they are better than they were last year (as a 1 seed). They are gonna be #6 in offensive efficiency and #3 in defensive efficiency after today. That's the type of numbers that champions put up.

Bend_The_Rim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's time we admit Virginia is really, really good. That is the best team in America outside of Kentucky and Duke, and they are better than they were last year (as a 1 seed). They are gonna be #6 in offensive efficiency and #3 in defensive efficiency after today. That's the type of numbers that champions put up.

You may be correct. While I don't follow Virginia that closely, I do follow the ACC. It's just difficult to tell how good some of these teams are with their early tune-up type schedules. UVA going into the Siegel center and beating a young, but underrated VCU squad was certainly impressive. However, even VCU at the time was looking a bit inconsistent. UVA also beat a Maryland squad without one of their best players, so...like I said, it can be tough to gauge the quality of some teams early in the season. When UVA lost Joe Harris to the draft, a big time player, naturally many thought that may have a down year compared to last season.

I actually thought the 2015-2016 season would be the great campaign for UVA. Now I'm not so sure. At the time, I thought they may be able to keep their talented group of juniors in Anderson, Brogdon, Tobey and Gill for their senior seasons. Now it looks like they will at least lose Anderson to the draft as he looking like a certain first round selection.

We'll know more about UVA over the next 4 games. Davidson is strong and a bit of a rivalry game. @Miami, NC state and @ND will be very tough. I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped 1 or 2 of those contests. I certainly see them losing @ND.

I had UVA losing 7 this season. I will now amend that to them losing only 6 contests (@ND, Vs Duke, @UNC, Vs Louisville @Syracuse @ Louisville). Depending on how they look over the next couple of weeks, I may amend that further.

UVA shot it very well today. While I now think they are likely a top 10 team nationally, I still don't quite see them as a top 5 squad. I see some of the better offensive squads in the country overcoming their stifling defense. I don't see UVA having the offensive firepower to keep up with teams that have the ability to overcome their defense.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be correct. While I don't follow Virginia that closely, I do follow the ACC. It's just difficult to tell how good some of these teams are with their early tune-up type schedules. UVA going into the Siegel center and beating a young, but underrated VCU squad was certainly impressive. However, even VCU at the time was looking a bit inconsistent. UVA also beat a Maryland squad without one of their best players, so...like I said, it can be tough to gauge the quality of some teams early in the season. When UVA lost Joe Harris to the draft, a big time player, naturally many thought that may have a down year compared to last season.

I actually thought the 2015-2016 season would be the great campaign for UVA. Now I'm not so sure. At the time, I thought they may be able to keep their talented group of juniors in Anderson, Brogdon, Tobey and Gill for their senior seasons. Now it looks like they will at least lose Anderson to the draft as he looking like a certain first round selection.

We'll know more about UVA over the next 4 games. Davidson is strong and a bit of a rivalry game. @Miami, NC state and @ND will be very tough. I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped 1 or 2 of those contests. I certainly see them losing @ND.

I had UVA losing 7 this season. I will now amend that to them losing only 6 contests (@ND, Vs Duke, @UNC, Vs Louisville @Syracuse @ Louisville). Depending on how they look over the next couple of weeks, I may amend that further.

UVA shot it very well today. While I now think they are likely a top 10 team nationally, I still don't quite see them as a top 5 squad. I see some of the better offensive squads in the country overcoming their stifling defense. I don't see UVA having the offensive firepower to keep up with teams that have the ability to overcome their defense.

I think that UVA will probably split the Louisville games. I watched the Louisville-WKU game and WKU gave them all they could handle. Louisville had plenty of chances to turn that one into a blowout but couldn't capitalize. UVA handled the full court press from VCU very well and could probably do the same against the Cards. Syracuse definitely isn't as good as they were last year so I think UVA can pull that one off. Duke I'm not sure about because it's at JPJ arena so there could be something to having the home court there. Notre Dame and UNC will definitely be difficult games but I think if they can stick to what they're doing now, it'll be winnable.
They definitely don't get the respect that Kentucky and Duke have but both of those teams have earned that respect and deserve to be ranked in the top 2.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CAVALANCHE

Bend_The_Rim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that UVA will probably split the Louisville games. I watched the Louisville-WKU game and WKU gave them all they could handle. Louisville had plenty of chances to turn that one into a blowout but couldn't capitalize. UVA handled the full court press from VCU very well and could probably do the same against the Cards. Syracuse definitely isn't as good as they were last year so I think UVA can pull that one off. Duke I'm not sure about because it's at JPJ arena so there could be something to having the home court there. Notre Dame and UNC will definitely be difficult games but I think if they can stick to what they're doing now, it'll be winnable.
They definitely don't get the respect that Kentucky and Duke have but both of those teams have earned that respect and deserve to be ranked in the top 2.

I certainly think UVA ia better than Syracuse at this juncture. However, most teams have at least one let-down game against an opponent they would normally overcome. I simply chose the Syracuse contest as that game. In reality, I believe they should handle Syracuse, but ultimately slip-up against another ACC rival most would expect them to beat.

I see the ND contest as the first major test. I think ND at home should have the offensive chops to beat UVA. Beyond that, yes, I am likely far too enamored with Louisville at present. I can certainly see UVA taking them down at JPJ arena.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time I've seen Cincy, and they look absolutely awful right now. They're playing very, very poor offense and the coaching is even worse.

They continue to allow VCU to come down the court and hit the same 3 point shots. The coach hasn't changed anything.

VCU is the better team between the two but I took the Bearcats after an impressive win at home over SDSU. Will all do respect their head coach sat that game out, yesterday, and that certainly played a part in the outcome.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia is just abusing Seton Hall. Blocks, steals, fast breaks....I really like how UGA is playing.

51-27 in the 2nd...

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta keep an eye on this UGA team. They've got shooters, play physical and get up and down well.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Villanova win was such a treat to watch

Kentucky dismantling UCLA by allowing only 7 in the 1st was amazing :omg:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that UVA will probably split the Louisville games. I watched the Louisville-WKU game and WKU gave them all they could handle. Louisville had plenty of chances to turn that one into a blowout but couldn't capitalize. UVA handled the full court press from VCU very well and could probably do the same against the Cards.

In Louisville's defense, they played the 2nd half without (arguably) the best player in the country. I suspect the results would have been a little different if Harrell played the entire game.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St looked talented but did not play as a unit like UNC did

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Louisville's defense, they played the 2nd half without (arguably) the best player in the country. I suspect the results would have been a little different if Harrell played the entire game.

I don't think it really should have mattered if he was in there or not though. WKU gave Louisville plenty of wide open shots all game long and they couldn't connect on a lot of them.