• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #10 Oklahoma State at #23 Texas (FOX)

y2ktors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never wrote that he was 'a formidable head coach'. You're the one pushing BS. I wrote only one thing about Chizik and that was he was an excellent DC.

When u used "excellent defensive HC" that phrase implied to me excellent defensive-minded head coach. Regardless, he wasn't a great coach but still won a national championship.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are confusing those losing seasons with Mack's WINNING seasons

Mack went 8-5 in 2011
Mack went 9-4 in 2012
Mack has a reasonable shot of going 10-3 in 2013.
It think TT is a likely win and Mack does win bowl games.

That is a lot different than all those other coaches leaving after having losing seasons.

Mack should be the coach of Texas.
I hope he stays at Texas.
He does a lot of things extremely well.

But, he does need to address his assistant coaches.
This emphasis should be particularly on defense where he needs a good assistant.

His biggest failing in his career has been gushing loyalty to weak assistants.
Mack is always the last one in the room to realize his assistants are not helping.

I think Texas goes out and gets the best possible DC....and....at least shops around for a good OC.
I would even bring Muschamp back if he is available.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mack went 8-5 in 2011
Mack went 9-4 in 2012

That is a lot different than all those other coaches leaving after having losing seasons.

This emphasis should be particularly on defense where he needs a good assistant.

Mack is always the last one in the room to realize his assistants are not helping.

I think Texas goes out and gets the best possible DC....and....at least shops around for a good OC.

I think his biggest weakness is his need to rely on Assistant coaches and not to have a consistent strategic view for the program. Texas is defined by its OC/DC, not by the HC. It is a stark difference to people like Urban and Saban.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban is a very poor example.
He coaches a lot like Mack Brown.
Saban literally acknowledges it and is very proud to coach that way.
Nick Saban himself said when hired by Alabama:

"You didn't hire a good coach, but you hired the best darn recruiter ever."

Texas operates the same way.
Mack handles the press conferences.
Mack handles the Alumni cash soliciting.
Mack handles the major game decisions like challenges, 4th downs, and penalties.
Mack handles the NCAA and player conduct stuff.
Mack recruits.
Mack leaves the Xs and Os to his assistant coaches.
That is eerily similar to Nick Saban.

The difference is that Saban will step up and make changes if his assistants start going off the rails.
Mack waits far too long and is too nice to ever hold them accountable.

Mack probably agonized for weeks about Diaz. He still probably loses sleep about it.
Saban would have sent him packing and forgotten he even existed an hour later.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban is a very poor example.
He coaches a lot like Mack Brown.
Saban literally acknowledges it and is very proud to coach that way.
Nick Saban himself said when hired by Alabama:

"You didn't hire a good coach, but you hired the best darn recruiter ever."

Texas operates the same way.
Mack handles the press conferences.
Mack handles the Alumni cash soliciting.
Mack handles the major game decisions like challenges, 4th downs, and penalties.
Mack handles the NCAA and player conduct stuff.
Mack recruits.
Mack leaves the Xs and Os to his assistant coaches.
That is eerily similar to Nick Saban.

The difference is that Saban will step up and make changes if his assistants start going off the rails.
Mack waits far too long and is too nice to ever hold them accountable.

Mack probably agonized for weeks about Diaz. He still probably loses sleep about it.
Saban would have sent him packing and forgotten he even existed an hour later.

Saban is very involved in the schemes. He may not call the plays, but much of what Bama is doing can be traced to Saban's schemes at Cleveland. He controls the process, probably as much as any coach. Every yr you know exactly what you are getting from Bama. Tough defense and a pro system relying heavily on the run. There is no spread, SEC offense, and back to hurry-up spread. HE draws the outline and coaches work within that frame. You can blame assistants, but they are the responsibility of the Mack. I would bet Diaz would have been a huge success with Saban.

y2ktors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about UT is that they could compete for championships yearly without ever having to recruit out of the state. They have missed on The QB position since VY. Yeah they had Colt McCoy but he was an afterthought. get this part fixed and you can actually have something to build on.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you one big difference between Mack Brown and Nick Saban. Saban delivers! Maybe it's been all luck, but I highly doubt it. He's been to 4 BCS bowl games in 6 years, and probably 5 in 7. I know it's a shorter time frame than Mack Brown and Saban will certainly have his downs. So far I would take his record in a heartbeat over Mack Brown's and so would most Longhorns.

It really doesn't matter anymore. After Baylor hangs 70 on us, he will have a press conference on Monday or Tuesday morning after saying he is stepping down. Just a hopeful prediction. Flippin Baylor. Now that's hard to swallow.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you one big difference between Mack Brown and Nick Saban. Saban delivers! Maybe it's been all luck, but I highly doubt it. He's been to 4 BCS bowl games in 6 years, and probably 5 in 7. I know it's a shorter time frame than Mack Brown and Saban will certainly have his downs. So far I would take his record in a heartbeat over Mack Brown's and so would most Longhorns.

It really doesn't matter anymore. After Baylor hangs 70 on us, he will have a press conference on Monday or Tuesday morning after saying he is stepping down. Just a hopeful prediction. Flippin Baylor. Now that's hard to swallow.

Vegas has Baylor as a 24.5 pt favorite over Texas as of today

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I think Baylor was a 16 point pick vs OU.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas has Baylor as a 24.5 pt favorite over Texas as of today

Unbelievable. Who would have thought Texas would have ever been a 24.5 point dog to anybody much less Baylor. This pretty much says it all for me about Mack Brown. Unf*&^ing believable.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At home Baylor is crazy good. On the road, they have been mediocre for 5 years.
They have beaten one winning Big 12 team on the road in 5 years.

Baylor would be at least double digit home favorites over every single team in the top 10 except Bama....and maybe Florida State.

Let's not make it some indictment about Texas.

That is what Baylor does at home.....when they win, they pour it on with everything they got.

They don't slow it down. They show almost no regard for being classy.

Even Bama puts on the breaks with 3rd stringers.

The point spread has to be that high to go with the style.

Conventional wisdom designs large point spreads with the idea that the better team will start benching the starters and go into a slow down.

Not so much with Baylor at home...

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another difference between Saban and Mack is that Saban signs 25 players every February, occasionally oversigns and has reneged on scholarships.
Bashers note that this is not against the NCAA rules.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Baylor would be at least double digit home favorites over every single team in the top 10 except Bama....and maybe Florida State.":

Not to be arguementive, but I don't think Ohio St. Oregon, and Auburn would agree with you on being a double digit dog and neither do I. Come on, lets be real here. It doesn't matter. We have the same right to leave our starters in as well. It won't matter. On paper we are going to get killed even if we do. The great thing about football is that it isn't played on paper. It's played on grass. Sometimes you catch a team a little down because they know they are suppose to win. Then you catch some breaks and the ball bounces your way. Things snowball in your direction. Who knows? Upsets happen. That's our only hope. My point is that I'm just shocked that we are this big a dog for any reason. I'm just done. Emotional, yes, but done done done.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Argumentive. Sorry.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of lines, what's the line against Texas Tech?

y2ktors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mack went 8-5 in 2011
Mack went 9-4 in 2012

Pinkel is the same way, concerning his assistants. At some point, you have to do what's best for the program. he's He's to fire an assistant as the head coach.