• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#1 History Comp - Joe DiMaggio & Ted Williams

Have at it!

• DiMaggio

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Williams

Votes: 23 88.5%

• Total voters

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did I ever say that? You're putting those words in my mouth.

We know how he performed in his career. Now we try to speculate what would've happened had he played a few years longer. We can't act as if the injuries didn't happen, because they did happen. If Mantle's career, as is (those are the key words: as is), were extended for a few more years (he held on to reach milestones or needed the money or whatever), what would've/could've/likely happened in that extra playing time? That's the point I'm trying to argue.

You're misinterpreting my argument.

I would stick with the Buccholz vs Kershaw argument, if I were you.

I think that one is your keeper.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but you're probably in the very, very small minority of people who feel Mickey Mantle's numbers would have declined had he not had so many health issues. "What if The Mick had been healthy?" is a common question asked by baseball fans but this is the first I've ever heard anyone speculate how bad he could have been.

If I was trying to make that point, don't you think I would've also brought up Mays losing virtually 2 years to the war? But I didn't bring that up...so doesn't that lead you to believe that you probably misinterpreted my entire point?

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was trying to make that point, don't you think I would've also brought up Mays losing virtually 2 years to the war? But I didn't bring that up...so doesn't that lead you to believe that you probably misinterpreted my entire point?

I got your point just fine. I just thought it was dumb.

I would lead with the Buccholz vs Kershaw argument from here on out. I think that's a frighteningly accurate comparison between the two and single handedly ends all debate.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got your point just fine. I just thought it was dumb.

I would lead with the Buccholz vs Kershaw argument from here on out. I think that's a frighteningly accurate comparison between the two and single handedly ends all debate.

So all this thread, have you been arguing objectively or as a Mantle fan? Considering you seem to just dismiss every stat/claim that goes against Mantle, I'll go with the latter.

I just looked up Bill James' Baseball Abstract's top 100 players in history just to see...Mays at #3, Mantle at #6. But of course, you'll dismiss it.

I'm a Yankee fan, but I can be objective as well. Mays' career value was greater than Mantle's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all this thread, have you been arguing objectively or as a Mantle fan? Considering you seem to just dismiss every stat/claim that goes against Mantle, I'll go with the latter.

I just looked up Bill James' Baseball Abstract's top 100 players in history just to see...Mays at #3, Mantle at #6. But of course, you'll dismiss it.

I'm a Yankee fan, but I can be objective as well. Mays' career value was greater than Mantle's.

I'm plenty of objective.

I just happen to think Mantle was better than Mays. I also just happen to think equating Mantle vs. Mays to Buccholz vs Kershaw is really, really, really dumb.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm plenty of objective.

I just happen to think Mantle was better than Mays. I also just happen to think equating Mantle vs. Mays to Buccholz vs Kershaw is really, really, really dumb.
Just read the whole Mays vs Mantle debate. I think you began the morphing into a troll around page 3 and went full troll in page 4.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read the whole Mays vs Mantle debate. I think you began the morphing into a troll around page 3 and went full troll in page 4.

Maybe but what kind of response can you really give someone comparing Mickey Mantle to Clay Buchholz?

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams hands down.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but what kind of response can you really give someone comparing Mickey Mantle to Clay Buchholz?

He clearly had a legitimate point, he picked a poor example and admitted it. His point remained the same. You just decided to hold on to it because the rest of your argument was falling apart and you had nothing else

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm plenty of objective.

Mantle grew up in the same state (Oklahoma) I did but I'd still take Mays ahead of Mantle.

If your talking only about natives of Oklahoma I'd take Johnny Bench ahead of Mantle.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He clearly had a legitimate point, he picked a poor example and admitted it. His point remained the same. You just decided to hold on to it because the rest of your argument was falling apart and you had nothing else

Comparing Mickey Mantle to Clay Buchholz will never be a legitimate point.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams hands down.

Anti-Yankee as I am I have to disagree.

What I said earlier about DiMaggio being a much more complete ballplayer than Williams still applies.

Even a dash of objectivity compels a vote for the Sinstriper in this poll.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anti-Yankee as I am I have to disagree.

What I said earlier about DiMaggio being a much more complete ballplayer than Williams still applies.

Even a dash of objectivity compels a vote for the Sinstriper in this poll.

And a couple pints of Guinness.

Last edited by a moderator: