• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bob Myers Effect?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the former agent for Deandre Jordan and Brook Lopez. With the Warriors in the market for a big man I think we can pull off a deal. I like what Jordan showed last season. I know his free throwing isn't good, but he's got the athleticism, size and timing that we need in the paint.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan is restricted. I don't see us getting a stud center via free agency. Even if we amnesty Bell we probably won't have enough nor should spend the amount needed to sign Nene. We are going to have to hope Bieds finds his game or gets traded. The saddest thing is we are tied down to an overpaid David Lee.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that if the Warriors want a big man other than Biedrins, they are going to have to acquire that player through trade. Right now, if my calculations are correct, the Warriors only have about $6-7 million under the cap (depending on how much Klay Thompson's contract is).

My guess is that the Warriors will go into the season with Biedrins as their #1 center and will use a combination of Udoh, Amundson and Lee as backups. I think they'll start Jeremy Tyler down int he D-League and I honestly don't think they'll use him his rookie year unless he dominates the D-League for the first month of the season.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan is restricted. I don't see us getting a stud center via free agency. Even if we amnesty Bell we probably won't have enough nor should spend the amount needed to sign Nene. We are going to have to hope Bieds finds his game or gets traded. The saddest thing is we are tied down to an overpaid David Lee.

Ray, I have to respectfully disagree with you about Lee being so overpaid. True, I wish we could have acquired him for less, however the Lee we seen in the last part of the season is who could expect to see this season. Last season got thrown out of wack due to Wilson Chandler's tooth keeping him out of the lineu for so long as they were trying to build chemistry. Lee is a very good rebounder, passer and shooter. Lee is also capable of playing so very good defense (as long as the op isn't uber athletic), as he showed against Love and Aldridge. Lee's midrange jumper seems to be underrated in this conversation too. I think he'll have an all star type of season this year.
You guy's are right about Biens needing to be traded, I think the only way to trade him and get a quality big back is in a three way that includes Monta and Udoh.

David Lee- Passionate Warrior - YouTube

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ray, I have to respectfully disagree with you about Lee being so overpaid. True, I wish we could have acquired him for less, however the Lee we seen in the last part of the season is who could expect to see this season. Last season got thrown out of wack due to Wilson Chandler's tooth keeping him out of the lineu for so long as they were trying to build chemistry. Lee is a very good rebounder, passer and shooter. Lee is also capable of playing so very good defense (as long as the op isn't uber athletic), as he showed against Love and Aldridge. Lee's midrange jumper seems to be underrated in this conversation too. I think he'll have an all star type of season this year.
You guy's are right about Biens needing to be traded, I think the only way to trade him and get a quality big back is in a three way that includes Monta and Udoh.

I will agree that David Lee is a good rebounder. But his defense is non-existent and his lack of anything even remotely resembling a defensive presence is part of the reason that Biedrins got so messed up. Besides having to shut down his own man defensively, last season and the season before Biedrins had to also keep an eye on the other side of the court because when the other team's power forward blew past Lee like he wasn't even standing there, Biedrins had to rush over and cover for Lee''s mistake.

David Lee is nothing more than a glorified 6th man. He is not an especially gifted scorer, although he can hit the mid-range shot. Most of his rebounds come because he's so far out of position trying to defend his man that he has all kinds of room to grab the board.

He is vastly overpaid for what he does. Sure, everyone loves his hustle, his heart and determination. But we all loved Brian Cardinal for that stuff and he was only getting paid the lid-level when he played for the Warriors. Granted, Lee is a better athlete than Cardinal, but he's not $12 million per year better.

It's too bad that the new owners are so in love with Lee because that guy is the PERFECT amnesty candidate. David Lee will hinder the Warriors' attempts to build a winner every year until his deal expires.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree that David Lee is a good rebounder. But his defense is non-existent and his lack of anything even remotely resembling a defensive presence is part of the reason that Biedrins got so messed up. Besides having to shut down his own man defensively, last season and the season before Biedrins had to also keep an eye on the other side of the court because when the other team's power forward blew past Lee like he wasn't even standing there, Biedrins had to rush over and cover for Lee''s mistake.

David Lee is nothing more than a glorified 6th man. He is not an especially gifted scorer, although he can hit the mid-range shot. Most of his rebounds come because he's so far out of position trying to defend his man that he has all kinds of room to grab the board.

He is vastly overpaid for what he does. Sure, everyone loves his hustle, his heart and determination. But we all loved Brian Cardinal for that stuff and he was only getting paid the lid-level when he played for the Warriors. Granted, Lee is a better athlete than Cardinal, but he's not $12 million per year better.

It's too bad that the new owners are so in love with Lee because that guy is the PERFECT amnesty candidate. David Lee will hinder the Warriors' attempts to build a winner every year until his deal expires.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same team here? Lee has only played with the Warriors for one season. On top of that, Biens has been messed up, before Lee was even thought of being in the picture. Last season Biens was still terrible when Lee was out for all that time. Lee started to play very well towards the latter part of the season, when they formed chemistry (with Udoh at the 5). I'm sure you'll like Lee's game come this season, especially if we can get a big defensive 5 in the paint.
We'll amnesty Biens contract and it will give us the same room to breathe, while keeping a way more talented player.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You are right that Lee has only played here for one season. That was a brain fart. I still stand by my assertion that Lee's lack of defense has caused Biedrins problems.

If the Warriors amnesty Biedrins, it will not solve the team's salary problems because the overpaid Lee will still be a part of the club.

I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree about Lee.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that made me laugh when I looked at Lee's stats from last season is that he went 16ppg, 9.8rpg, 3ast, while shooting 80+% from the line on a down season. We all seen how much better he can and will play. He also had some really good defensive games towards the later part of the season where he demanded to guard top flight pf's 1 on 1. He'll be healty, as well as have team chemistry from the bstart of this season. I expect him to be an All Star.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right that Lee has only played here for one season. That was a brain fart. I still stand by my assertion that Lee's lack of defense has caused Biedrins problems.

If the Warriors amnesty Biedrins, it will not solve the team's salary problems because the overpaid Lee will still be a part of the club.

I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree about Lee.

We agree on one more thing too, my friend. SURE ARE GLAD THE SEASON IS GETTING UNDERWAY. You should try to get Billinder 3000 over here too, that ESPN board format is tired.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We agree on one more thing too, my friend. SURE ARE GLAD THE SEASON IS GETTING UNDERWAY. You should try to get Billinder 3000 over here too, that ESPN board format is tired.

When the ESPN boards changed formats, I went over there once to see what the new format looked like. I have not been back since. I will head over there later and send messages to a few of the regs to see if I can get them to come over here.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee's overall stats were dramatically affected by Wilson Chandler almost turning him into a zombie last year with that bite and infection. In terms of production, I think he'll be much more effective on offense this upcoming year. Defense is where he needs to show a lot more. I think the Warriors were relying on Biedrins being the complimentary player to Lee, but we see that there is a massive need for production at both big men spots.

The Warriors really don't have any chance at a top tier prospect (or even a guy like DeAndre) and I think they'll let it ride this season. If anything I would wholly expect them NOT to amnesty Biedrins this year, and see if he can raise his play and/or trade value. If not, there's always next year to amnesty him.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow Steinmetz brings to light a fantastic component that I wasn't aware of. Lacob wouldn't have to pay the full amount to Lee if he gave him the axe. The next team that signs him takes a chunk out.

Lee a better candidate for amnesty than Biedrins

Yeah. That is a new component that was put in to prevent teams from waiving players and having the player be able to choose their destination. I think it was a nice move by the NBA.

And I agree totally with Steinmetz's column. If the owners are serious about fielding a championship team, Lee has to go.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've vacillated between wanting to amnesty Biedrins or Lee..... I knew all the particulars, but like how Steinmetz pulled it together.

Lee would have to be the guy to amnesty, because (a) the cap hit for his contract is so much bigger and so much longer, and (b) his market value is way, way above Biedrins, so the residual pay-out by the Warriors may not be all that much more to let him go as opposed to Biedrins.

I actually think that if the Warriors amnesty Lee, Nene would be far more interested in coming here. I couldn't find the source, but recall that he went on-the-record within the last few months with a comment that he'd rather play PF than C. I'm sure everywhere else he's talking to has him in the line-up as C - if we tell him he's going to play primarily PF next to Biedrins at C, he probably jumps at the chance. With a rotation of "swing" PF/C's in Udoh, Amundson, and Tyler, there's a lot of flexibility of who plays where up-front.

But (slightly off-topic) there is a risk to going after Nene, or being the ones to sign any of the amnesty guys (including Roy) - you're almost inevitably overpaying. Seeing as you're outbidding everybody else for these guys, you paid more than anybody else wanted to..... and probably that's too much.

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

the david lee signing gutted this team. i saw a lot of his games as a NYK and there's one huge reason why he's a double double guy - absolutely no interest in defense. in addition, his actual rebounding numbers are deceiving. he's not a great rebounder like camby, gasol, howard, et al because while being a great team rebounder [meaning, on a midget team like the knicks of yore, or today's warriors, he'll eat up all the easy defensive boards and is sneaky on the o-glass], if he has to win a positioning battle or out-jump his man, he's pretty much toast.

the biggest problem, however, is his atrocious defense. no lateral quickness, no hops, no real length at the 4 spot are devastating in today's uber athletic NBA. anyone can put together a highlight reel; a lowlight reel of david lee's defense would run for days. i love him as a team guy, a leader, the first big man off the bench, a change of pace at the 4, a stretch the floor type of big man. but as a starting PF, on an already undersized team, he's a huge drag. we have the shooters, we have the offense, what we don't have, is a great rebounder, shotblocker, and defender. replace david lee with deandre jordan, camby, nene, chandler, ibaka, kaman, josh smith, kirilenko [of three years ago] et al, and we're a much better fit. i know half those guys play center. they can easily play the 4 next to beans or the 5 next to udoh. i didn't even mention players like perkins, aldridge, howard, and the two gasols... in fact, of everyone in the FA pool right now, i really want marc gasol the most [with a surgically attached personal trainer]..

i would definitely amnesty lee and then offer a near-max deal to gasol. he stretches the d while providing pretty good defense and a solid low post game. EXACTLY what this team needs. short of that, i'd try to trade lee to utah [they love white guy, right?] for anyone like AK, okur, or their 2015 3rd round pick..

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the david lee signing gutted this team. i saw a lot of his games as a NYK and there's one huge reason why he's a double double guy - absolutely no interest in defense. in addition, his actual rebounding numbers are deceiving. he's not a great rebounder like camby, gasol, howard, et al because while being a great team rebounder [meaning, on a midget team like the knicks of yore, or today's warriors, he'll eat up all the easy defensive boards and is sneaky on the o-glass], if he has to win a positioning battle or out-jump his man, he's pretty much toast.

the biggest problem, however, is his atrocious defense. no lateral quickness, no hops, no real length at the 4 spot are devastating in today's uber athletic NBA. anyone can put together a highlight reel; a lowlight reel of david lee's defense would run for days. i love him as a team guy, a leader, the first big man off the bench, a change of pace at the 4, a stretch the floor type of big man. but as a starting PF, on an already undersized team, he's a huge drag. we have the shooters, we have the offense, what we don't have, is a great rebounder, shotblocker, and defender. replace david lee with deandre jordan, camby, nene, chandler, ibaka, kaman, josh smith, kirilenko [of three years ago] et al, and we're a much better fit. i know half those guys play center. they can easily play the 4 next to beans or the 5 next to udoh. i didn't even mention players like perkins, aldridge, howard, and the two gasols... in fact, of everyone in the FA pool right now, i really want marc gasol the most [with a surgically attached personal trainer]..

i would definitely amnesty lee and then offer a near-max deal to gasol. he stretches the d while providing pretty good defense and a solid low post game. EXACTLY what this team needs. short of that, i'd try to trade lee to utah [they love white guy, right?] for anyone like AK, okur, or their 2015 3rd round pick..

Lee has plenty of hops. Again, the Lee that we seen in the latter part of last season in the Lee that we'll see this season. I don't want him going anywhere (hopefull Lacob feels the same way). The same Lee that broke Love's streak, the same Lee that single handely shut down Aldridge. The injury hurt his production in the start of the season in terms of chemistry, shot and timing. There are only a couple better passers than Lee at the 4, not many more with a better free throw % and you were talking about stretching the defense, come on, Lee has a great jumper. Lee will be in All Star conversations this upcoming season with just Curry facilitating, as well as running pick and rolls. As I mentioned in this thread earlier, Lee 16ppg,9.8rpg,3ast pg, 80+% ft on a bad season. He'll have a year under his belt with this team now.

Warriors' David Lee takes on 1-on-1 challenge of guarding Trail Blazers' LaMarcus Aldridge | OregonLive.com
David Lee Dunks on Amare Stoudemire - YouTube
Defense is mostly about desire, he has a big enough body to hold his own, especially with a coach that I know will REALLY preach defense.

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lee has plenty of hops. Again, the Lee that we seen in the latter part of last season in the Lee that we'll see this season. I don't want him going anywhere (hopefull Lacob feels the same way). The same Lee that broke Love's streak, the same Lee that single handely shut down Aldridge. The injury hurt his production in the start of the season in terms of chemistry, shot and timing. There are only a couple better passers than Lee at the 4, not many more with a better free throw % and you were talking about stretching the defense, come on, Lee has a great jumper. Lee will be in All Star conversations this upcoming season with just Curry facilitating, as well as running pick and rolls. As I mentioned in this thread earlier, Lee 16ppg,9.8rpg,3ast pg, 80+% ft on a bad season. He'll have a year under his belt with this team now.

Warriors' David Lee takes on 1-on-1 challenge of guarding Trail Blazers' LaMarcus Aldridge | OregonLive.com
David Lee Dunks on Amare Stoudemire - YouTube
Defense is mostly about desire, he has a big enough body to hold his own, especially with a coach that I know will REALLY preach defense.

sorry, but you lost me after the 'lee has plenty of hops' part. the amare dunk, while impressive at first glance has a few mitigating factors. a. amare isn't exactly a defensive presence. b. it was on a pick and roll and amare was late getting over. c. who hasn't dunked on amare?

lee does stretch the defense, but that's his only above-average trait. we have guys who can stretch the floor. we have scorers, we have shooters. that is NOT what we need from the 4 spot. we need paul millsap at PF. we need tyson chandler. hell, at this point, i'd take brandon bass an improvement [tongue in cheek]...

defense is mostly desire, but its also size, quickness [especially of the lateral variety] and athleticism. particularly in today's NBA. the fact that you mentioned two of most unathletic PFs in the L when bringing up lee's defensive prowess should be a sign. can he guard 4s with no first step and a good face up game but few low post moves? yes. most of the league, however, works the other way around. i don't really feel like going to check last year's box scores, but i seem to recall quite a few PFs going off on the warriors [at a quick glance, love went for 37/23 on us in late feb, kris humphries had 15 boards in early march]. i give him a mulligan for the first 30 or so games, but i also saw him play A LOT in NY [my roommate in college was a bball junkie, and a knick fan] and its not so much the zombie-like arm that was the issue last year. his whole career has been on the back of a small team with no center. you pair him with camby and the team plays better but he's no longer a 20/10 guy.. more like a 15/7.

the bigger point is, he is a terrible fit for this team. i think you're right, marc jackson will have this team playing better. we should contend for the 8th seed. but i don't want that. in the NBA that's a curse, not a blessing. its purgatory and its hard as hell to get out of. we need massive upgrades in the frontcourt. lee's 12 mill makes it impossible for us to do so. i say cut the cord now, and put pieces in place over the next year or two that make this a championship team. we have a dynamic, and young, backcourt. we have enough talent on the bench in the frontcourt to compete. we really need 1 TRUE big man with real big man skills, not a 18ft jumper.

the only hope at this point is moving/cutting lee and going after a premier big man. or the futile hope that jeremy tyler becomes the next great 2nd round pick.. a big man's version of manu.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors get back to work, ready to improve roster - Houston Chronicle
I think we're on a path of being good for a long while.

New assistant general manager and eventual successor Bob Myers took a flight to Los Angeles to talk to agents at his old stomping grounds at the Wasserman Media Group and new executive board member Jerry West stayed in contact with everybody.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors won't make hasty roster moves

All of the sudden Deandre Jordan is in our sights. :dance:

assistant general manager Bob Myers is in Los Angeles talking to representatives about free-agent players.

Read more: Warriors won't make hasty roster moves

Restricted free agent DeAndre Jordan, a 23-year-old center who averaged 7.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.8 blocks a game last season for the Clippers, is represented by Myers' old firm (Wasserman Media Group).

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors won't make hasty roster moves

All of the sudden Deandre Jordan is in our sights. :dance:

assistant general manager Bob Myers is in Los Angeles talking to representatives about free-agent players.

Restricted free agent DeAndre Jordan, a 23-year-old center who averaged 7.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.8 blocks a game last season for the Clippers, is represented by Myers' old firm (Wasserman Media Group).

I hate speculating on restricted free agents, because it's really up in the air as to whether or not their current teams will match any contract offers. In general you have to overpay to pry a restricted free agent away from the team, and it's even more scary in these type of situations regarding young talent having a good year.