• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions crush the Stafford trade

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford trade negotiations: He and Sean McVay get what they want - Sports Illustrated

n Holmes’s first interview with Detroit, he explained the process of picking Goff, and how the Rams had decided to take him over Carson Wentz five years ago. Back for a second interview, after being apprised of the situation with Stafford, rather that recoil, his excitement reverberated—not to move the team off Stafford, but for how he’d handle such a big-ticket situation, from getting value for the quarterback to finding his replacement.

BB_72; Goff isn't going anywhere, anytime soon - at least not for the next two years. That time is Goff's to prove if he can become a reliable starter and whether he stays or goes after 2022.

I like that a lot. 2 years to try and prove he is improving, after that he can be cut or traded with no dead money.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford trade negotiations: He and Sean McVay get what they want - Sports Illustrated

The Niners talked to the Lions in Mobile, but at the time were a little lukewarm and never made an official offer. They’d planned to circle back with Detroit after the weekend, but when things escalated Saturday and the Lions called back, the price had gone beyond what they were willing to offer (in part because they’re fine going forward with Jimmy Garoppolo). My sense is the 12th pick was never going to be offered.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that a lot. 2 years to try and prove he is improving, after that he can be cut or traded with no dead money.

yes sir.

Plus, the future picks allows for Holmes, Agnew and the entire coaching staff to settle into their jobs and make better decisions.

Hell, Holmes doesn't have a clue as of yet on who he'll keep or let go of personnel in the scouting department.

The covid ordeal could have made this past cfb season difficult for the scouts. Most of the scouts contracts end after the draft as that's normally where their fiscal year begins/ends. That's why, imo, the future 1st round picks could become even more lucrative.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meanwhile, once the deal was agreed to, some 1,100 miles south of L.A., McVay and Stafford were sitting down for dinner to celebrate a fresh start of their own, near the Chileno Bay Resort in Los Cabos, Mexico, with Stafford’s wife Kelly and McVay’s fiancé Veron ika. The coach and his new quarterback happened to be among a number of NFL people in Cabo last week—Saints coach Sean Payton and QB Drew Brees, Rams LT Andrew Whitworth and others were nearby, too, over the last few days.

BB_72; what a happy foursome that must've been.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Broncos discussed a pick swap with the Lions that would have equated to a late first-round pick, but it wound up becoming clear to Denver that they weren’t playing in the neighborhood where this was going.

From all of these, the 8th and a late round, or 19th and a third both seem like they also would have been good options. The 8th in particular could have opened the door to Fields/Chase or some kind of pairing that could be built into a very good offense. Where the Oline is already above average, and Hock as a great outlet.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford to Lions: Trade me anywhere but the Patriots - Pride Of Detroit

But according to one report, Stafford would have pretty much been fine going anywhere... expect for one place. Per NBC Sports Boston’s Tom E. Curran, Stafford specifically asked the Lions not to trade him to the New England Patriots.

“Stafford told the Lions they could send him anywhere but New England,” Curran wrote on Sunday.

After a three-year stint of Matt Patricia’s mutated version of the Patriot Way in Detroit, that should come as little surprise. Patricia not only turned the team into an even bigger loser on the field, but he lost the respect of several of the leaders in that locker room. There were even reports that Stafford and Patricia clashed at times. Remember this from Kyle Meinke of MLive.com?

“The veteran, franchise quarterback wasn’t a fan of Patricia’s talking-down style, according to multiple sources in a position to know,” Meinke wrote in December.” I believe there is more to the story, but that’s what I have confirmed and feel comfortable reporting at this time.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From all of these, the 8th and a late round, or 19th and a third both seem like they also would have been good options. The 8th in particular could have opened the door to Fields/Chase or some kind of pairing that could be built into a very good offense. Where the Oline is already above average, and Hock as a great outlet.

I get your point however, having two future 1st round picks gives the entire organization to get their vision together.

Lot's of 2020 opt outs. Better scouting in the future when Holmes gets his guys.

Many of the current scouts have been with the organization for more than a decade.

From a fans perspective, of course, we want current 20201draft picks available to draft players this year.

We're not going to be competitive this year and lot's of back and forth will be going on to evaluate current player's on who stays and who goes. It's easy for us to state who should stay and who should be cut.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point however, having two future 1st round picks gives the entire organization to get their vision together.

Lot's of 2020 opt outs. Better scouting in the future when Holmes gets his guys.

Many of the current scouts have been with the organization for more than a decade.

From a fans perspective, of course, we want current 20201draft picks available to draft players this year.

We're not going to be competitive this year and lot's of back and forth will be going on to evaluate current player's on who stays and who goes. It's easy for us to state who should stay and who should be cut.

I agree, I like what they did a lot. I am also hoping Fields or Wilson slip to 7 and some QB needy team looks to trade up where we can add even more future draft picks. Our new GM has a history of being very solid in the draft. I am all for tearing down this team to the frame acquiring all the picks they can, and build it up from scratch into a new team.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where the Oline is already above average,

This years OT is better than the previous two drafts and quite possibly better than the last two drafts combined. Don't be surprised to see the Front Office draft an OT to play the RT position at some point this year early on (day 1 or day 2).

1. Crosby is on his last year of his contract and prior to this past year he's only been serviceable. He's had concussion issues and some injuries this year which led the team to use Matt Nelson as his replacement.

2. Vaitai injured his foot early on in camp and that injury had an affect to his play. We all know he's not the answer at RT for the future even when he recovers. Is his injury a lisfranc ? IDK

3. This trade was made, in part, to acquire Goff and knowing he's not all that mobile and more pocket passer than scrambling outside of the pocket, the FO may very well want to upgrade that right side to protect Goff and build for the future whether or not he's here after 2022.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our new GM has a history of being very solid in the draft.

Let's hope it continues.

It's why I'm not concerned about having other teams 1st round picks this year. I'd rather Holmes, Agnew and the coaching staff settle in for this upcoming season and having 15 months to spend that extra 1st round pick coming from that trade where it makes the team better.

I have an article somewhere in which this upcoming draft doesn't allow for in person contact from the front office etc. The rules this year are extremely limited versus the norm. No player to come in for private workouts. No team can have player x do more than 3 reps at players pro day.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am also hoping Fields or Wilson slip to 7 and some QB needy team looks to trade up where we can add even more future draft picks

It's my hope or wish also. Quite a few players I would like in those first 50-75 draft picks and possibly throughout the entire 3rd round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for tearing down this team to the frame acquiring all the picks they can, and build it up from scratch into a new team.

It has to start with going back and reviewing lots of game film for players who are becoming FA and those whose contracts don't match their play on the field. This has to happen long before considering draft options. The two tie in together but the former currently outweighs the latter.

It's easy for us fans to state who we think should stay or go.

The entire coaching staff have to figure out what systems, offensively and defensively, they're going to run and which current players fit those systems.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the heck happened to Jared Goff? - Pride Of Detroit

interesting read pertaining to Goff's rapid decline statistically. Int's and fumbles but also how that change in O-Line after the 2018 season has some relevance. Less time in the pocket and the absence of a run game in 2019 as the latter changed with the arrival of Cam Akers in 2020 but those deep shots in the passing game decreased significantly over the last two years.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the heck happened to Jared Goff? - Pride Of Detroit

interesting read pertaining to Goff's rapid decline statistically. Int's and fumbles but also how that change in O-Line after the 2018 season has some relevance. Less time in the pocket and the absence of a run game in 2019 as the latter changed with the arrival of Cam Akers in 2020 but those deep shots in the passing game decreased significantly over the last two years.

He lost his RB that was scoring 20+ TDs a season