• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: 1) Celtics vs 4) Cavs

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is interesting.

And you were a post player I take it?

I was

Not a ton of call for 6-3 centers but others saw something

I did have a football coach also recruit me after seeing me play hs basketball lol

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was

I did have a football coach also recruit me after seeing me play hs basketball lol

So ironically,

You pine for the lost art of post play at least in part because that is what you were.

However, the truth is that your coaches back then did you a tremendous disservice, vastly limiting your ceiling in the game of basketball by employing you as a post player.

Had you come up in today’s basketball landscape, you would surely not be used that way even if you were the tallest player in your team. You would be empowered to handle the ball and develop perimeter skills.

And I am betting it would have made you a much better player overall.

Even if maybe less of a big fish in that small pond from your high school experience.

Like you say, not a lot of call for 6’3” big men at higher levels of basketball.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was

@The Q is a founding member of the NGFFL.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ironically,

You pine for the lost art of post play at least in part because that is what you were.

However, the truth is that your coaches back then did you a tremendous disservice, vastly limiting your ceiling in the game of basketball by employing you as a post player.

Had you come up in today’s basketball landscape, you would surely not be used that way even if you were the tallest player in your team. You would be empowered to handle the ball and develop perimeter skills.

Even if maybe less of a big fish in that small pond from your high school experience.

Like you say, not a lot of call for 6’3” big men at higher levels of basketball.
One thing I learned from that New Yorker article on Jokic is that in Serbia they coach ALL players as “positionless”, everyone on the team learns to do everything….dribble, pass, run point, shoot long distance, post up, etc no matter how big or small you are. Which explains why even big men like Jokic can run point and pass and so on. Even back to Vlade Divacs, Serbian bigs can pass and dribble, which is what makes Jokic and others so suited for the modern game

And this is not uncommon in other parts of Europe hence Luka and Wemby on back to Sabonis

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I learned from that New Yorker article on Jokic is that in Serbia they coach ALL players as “positionless”, everyone on the team learns to do everything….dribble, pass, run point, shoot long distance, post up, etc no matter how big or small you are. Which explains why even big men like Jokic can run point and pass and so on. Even back to Vlade Divacs, Serbian bigs can pass and dribble, which is what makes Jokic and others so suited for the modern game

And this is not uncommon in other parts of Europe hence Luka and Wemby on back to Sabonis

Europe has always been way ahead of the US in terms of player skill development.

By always, I mean since the Dream Team.

But they do it right.

Having skills will help any player at any position.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was

Could you dribble and shoot?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ironically,

Could you dribble and shoot?

I wasn’t a good enough Athlere to play Bb at a higher level.

I had a solid vert and broad jump but less quick twitch (ironic since hitting was my specialty in baseball)

But I always gravitated to the post player stuff in basketball. Including rebounding and rim protection.

I could chase down rebounds forever. Why i was so damn good at it. Despite giving up a few inches in the post

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn’t a good enough Athlere to play Bb at a higher level.

I had a solid vert and broad jump but less quick twitch (ironic since hitting was my specialty in baseball)

But I always gravitated to the post player stuff in basketball. Including rebounding and rim protection.

I could chase down rebounds forever. Why i was so damn good at it. Despite giving up a few inches in the post
So much of rebounding is wanting it. Dennis Rodman wasn’t super big. Today Josh Hart is that guy

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much of rebounding is wanting it. Dennis Rodman wasn’t super big. Today Josh Hart is that guy

You’re damn right it is.

Add a little positioning/anticipation and technique and you can be a decent rebounder without any real size or athleticism