• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Official Seahawk Draft thread

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played the outside extensively last year.

The article is from late October so not complete but at the time, Spoon had 199 snaps on the outside and 122 on the inside.

He played inside mainly to get him involved in the plays more, not because he was better suited there.

Not to play the tug of war game, but that's not really what I asked, do you think he's going to be on the outside exclusively?

I know that's not easy to answer given how much Mac likes to shift his secondary, but curious for your thoughts or if I missed something that was already published by Seattle.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to play the tug of war game, but that's not really what I asked, do you think he's going to be on the outside exclusively?

I know that's not easy to answer given how much Mac likes to shift his secondary, but curious for your thoughts or if I missed something that was already published by Seattle.

I have no idea where he is going to play. Whether he plays on the outside or at the slot he's one of our top 2 corners.

My guess will be he plays outside on 2 receiver sets and it will be situational on 3 receiver sets. But Macdonald is a big fan of deception so who really knows what he will do.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea where he is going to play. Whether he plays on the outside or at the slot he's one of our top 2 corners.

My guess will be he plays outside on 2 receiver sets and it will be situational on 3 receiver sets. But Macdonald is a big fan of deception so who really knows what he will do.

Yah... going to be fairly interesting to see where he lines up.

To both our points, he played inside more than outside:

1714956861644.png

He also mentioned to the media he liked playing inside (probably because it was easier but who knows) so I'm curious where you get the "Because he's better suited there" with regards to him playing outside.

Genuine question, not trying to call you out.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 361446

He also mentioned to the media he liked playing inside (probably because it was easier but who knows) so I'm curious where you get the "Because he's better suited there" with regards to him playing outside.

I wouldn't say playing the slot is easier as much as it's just different. I think his smaller size and quickness allows him to negotiate the traffic inside a little better and the ball usually comes out quicker on those routes which also play to Witherspoon's strength. He has good instincts and tends to diagnose quickly which helps. Gonna be interesting to see how McDonald uses him. The kid's a bit of a swiss army knife out there. Reminds me a lot of Rhonde Barber. Can only hope we get close to that type of career from him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 361446

I didn't say he was better suited to play on the outside. I also didn't say he was better suited to play on the inside either. I think he has the versatility to play both, which not every corner can do.

He has said that he likes playing on the inside because he is closer to the action. He clearly likes playing on the line of scrimmage and be able to provide run support, rush the passer or cover his man.

It's not surprising to me that he played the slot more than the outside. He might do that again this year. As I said, I think it will be situational. If we are playing a team like the Broncos they may play him a lot on the inside as they don't have a lot of outside threats. If they are playing a team like the Dolphins he may shadow whichever of Waddle/Hill that is playing on the right.

For the corner blitz to work with Spoon he needs to play the slot frequently enough that the offense won't know it is a corner blitz ever time he lines up in the slot.