• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zeke Elliott Reportedly Holding Out of Training Camp

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing. This is all about the franchise tag and that Zeke feels he is not going to get another big deal. The only way that Zeke is not tagged is if he does not perform......well we know that is not the case. He is an elite talent and at a minimum a top 3 running back in the NFL.

I make no illusions.....this is about money and the running back position. I am sure we agree that running backs take the most punishment and have the shortest shelf life. But......I am of the opinion that Zeke does not want to play for anyone but the Cowboys. However, he wants to get his big payday because based on current rules he does not believe he is going to get one. I am willing to bet that a big negotiating point in the new CBA is rookie deals being only 3 years.

I understand the argument for not wanting to pay him because he still has 2 years on his contract and his off the field issues. From a business perspective that makes perfect sense.
I fully agree, but it's the current CBA. Blame the player's in the league back when the CBA was ratified.
The best part is if the high end QBs and their agents weren't fucking over the league and the players before them, the rookie cap we have now probably doesn't exist.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jerry has the will power to let Elliott sit the year and Elliott knows it. That offense is offensive to watch without Elliott and I don't think Jerry will be able to stand having the season thrown away with the talent the rest of the roster has.

Elliott will have a new contract as the highest paid RB by mid-October at the latest.
Elliot cannot sit the entire year. If he does the 4th year of his contract is still in play and he'd be on the hook for that salary.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We going to pretend like 2017 didn't happen when Dak and that offense was ineffective when Elliott finally accepted his suspension?
Take a look at those numbers when T. Smith was out. The running numbers minus JUST Zeke didn't drop all that much.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliot cannot sit the entire year. If he does the 4th year of his contract is still in play and he'd be on the hook for that salary.

He has to play 6 games this season to avoid that. That means he would not have to start playing until week 12. Without Elliott until that late in the season they remove themselves from competing for the division and will be in danger of missing out on a wildcard spot.

I doubt Jerry will be willing to completely throw away a season with one of the most talented rosters they have had in decades over refusing to pay the 2nd best RB in the NFL the top contract for his position. He's trying to play chicken right now but once they start dropping games without him he will fold.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has to play 6 games this season to avoid that. That means he would not have to start playing until week 12. Without Elliott until that late in the season they remove themselves from competing for the division and will be in danger of missing out on a wildcard spot.

I doubt Jerry will be willing to completely throw away a season with one of the most talented rosters they have had in decades over refusing to pay the 2nd best RB in the NFL the top contract for his position. He's trying to play chicken right now but once they start dropping games without him he will fold.
We're going to have to disagree on Dallas being out of the playoffs without Zeke.
Yes he makes the team better, but I think the group they have can keep the numbers there as long as the OL stays intact.

Now with Zeke the team could afford a lose up front, but no Zeke and missing pieces up from that spells disaster.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team has to play without Zeke.
While we wont be as good, the running game will still be decent.

If the team plays without Dak. The team is done!

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to have to disagree on Dallas being out of the playoffs without Zeke.
Yes he makes the team better, but I think the group they have can keep the numbers there as long as the OL stays intact.

Now with Zeke the team could afford a lose up front, but no Zeke and missing pieces up from that spells disaster.

Without Elliott I see 4 sure losses for the Cowboys prior to week 12. That doesn't include any trap games or losses that they weren't expecting. Then even with (a likely rusty out of shape) Elliott they would have to finish out the season with some tough games against Patriots, @Bears, Rams, @Eagles in 4 of their 6 remaining games.

It would be an uphill battle for them to still make the playoffs if noone blinks and he does hold out until the final 6 games of the season.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We going to pretend like 2017 didn't happen when Dak and that offense was ineffective when Elliott finally accepted his suspension?
No, we are just not going to lie about it or make shit up and change history. We weren't able to prepare for Zeke's absence when it finally happened because it kept getting pushed back and was never clear if it would happen or at least happen in 2017. The OL injuries were the big problem those first 3 games Zeke was out. The last 3 we scored almost 30 PPG. We rushed for an average of 121 yards in those 6 games. Plus it's been covered that Dallas went 3-3 without Zeke (just about even with their 9-7 record) and would have gone 3-3 with Zeke. Pretending is you pretending the season ends if Zeke is out.

Maybe like Philly with Wentz we will lose one of our Offensive starters and find we have more success with the backup :noidea:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Elliott I see 4 sure losses for the Cowboys prior to week 12. That doesn't include any trap games or losses that they weren't expecting. Then even with (a likely rusty out of shape) Elliott they would have to finish out the season with some tough games against Patriots, @Bears, Rams, @Eagles in 4 of their 6 remaining games.

It would be an uphill battle for them to still make the playoffs if noone blinks and he does hold out until the final 6 games of the season.
For sure??? For sure??? Now you see the future? I should have known you just weren't very intelligent or you've never watched an NFL season unfold

It will be tough to make the playoffs with or without Zeke. This certainly isn't a team without flaws and repeating in the NFC East has been impossible lately even though it isn't a good division. And on your post from last page. Zeke is NOT the most important player on the Cowboys Offense and certainly not by far unless you are a fantasy football player. He is probably #4 behind Dak, Martin and T Smith.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure??? For sure??? Now you see the future? I should have known you just weren't very intelligent or you've never watched an NFL season unfold

It will be tough to make the playoffs with or without Zeke. This certainly isn't a team without flaws and repeating in the NFC East has been impossible lately even though it isn't a good division. And on your post from last page. Zeke is NOT the most important player on the Cowboys Offense and certainly not by far unless you are a fantasy football player. He is probably #4 behind Dak, Martin and T Smith.

100% stone cold lock losses for the Cowboys without Elliott. That's at the very least 4 although in sure they lose more than that before week 12 if the Cowboys are dumb enough to let it drag on that long.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% stone cold lock losses for the Cowboys without Elliott. That's at the very least 4 although in sure they lose more than that before week 12 if the Cowboys are dumb enough to let it drag on that long.
I have to say I enjoyed that stone cold lock of a loss to the Saints last year...

Looking at the schedule I don't see any game we absolutely can't win, but most people over the age of 11 that watch the NFL know there is no such thing. Please don't say you are counting the Philly game after last years sweep :pound::pound::pound:

5122_OutPackaging_1920x1920.jpg

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say I enjoyed that stone cold lock of a loss to the Saints last year...

Looking at the schedule I don't see any game we absolutely can't win, but most people over the age of 11 that watch the NFL know there is no such thing. Please don't say you are counting the Philly game after last years sweep :pound::pound::pound:

5122_OutPackaging_1920x1920.jpg

Well since that Cowboys-Eagles game is week 16 there is a scenario (which is more likely than Cowboys making the playoffs with Elliott sitting out till week 12) that the Eagles will have the #1 seed locked up by that point and are resting their starters for that game.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since that Cowboys-Eagles game is week 16 there is a scenario (which is more likely than Cowboys making the playoffs with Elliott sitting out till week 12) that the Eagles will have the #1 seed locked up by that point and are resting their starters for that game.
Yup. I could see that. Philly is the favorite.

The other thing in the Cowboy's favor that week would be that Wentz doesn't play in December

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. I could see that. Philly is the favorite.

The other thing in the Cowboy's favor that week would be that Wentz doesn't play in December

Except for the two of three seasons that Wentz has played in December :noidea:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for the two of three seasons that Wentz has played in December :noidea:
Tell if Wentz get hurt (again) and early in the season, which team wins the division Cowboys without Zeke or Eagles without Wentz, or other?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell if Wentz get hurt (again) and early in the season, which team wins the division Cowboys without Zeke or Eagles without Wentz, or other?
How is this not it's own thread :suds:

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm higher on the Redskins than most so I think it would be a three way battle between those three teams for 8 or 9 wins in that scenario.