• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zaidi and Ownership Group Considering Moving Fences at Oracle Park

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally:

Exclusive: Giants acknowledge it's finally time to explore...

Lots of Giants' personnel sounded off on this and it seemed liked the overwhelming majority are in favor of moving the fences in at the Cove.

“It’s worth it, I think, for all of us to sit down and talk about it and do what we think is the best thing for our team,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy told The Athletic. “(Triples Alley) would be a great place to put the bullpens. There’s room out there. Personally, I feel if you hit a ball 400 feet, it should be a home run. So yeah, I think we should all be open minded to making a change.”

This is not a rogue or reckless opinion. Zaidi is not alone. Acting CEO Rob Dean, citing the concussion that outfielder Mac Williamson sustained last year while tripping in foul territory, also has expressed a desire to look at moving the bullpen mounds to a safer location. And after two decades of watching 400-foot drives settle into the gloves of outfielders, there is a growing sense at all levels of the organization that their gem of a ballpark in China Basin, which served them so well through the franchise’s most glorious stretch, might now be impeding them as they seek to build the next winning wave of talent in this launch-angle obsessed era.

This really an expansive article. Don't expect anything to happen soon, or anything at all. It does sound like they are taking it very seriously.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some suggestions from the article were simply lowering the yellow homerun line to 8 feet along the arcade, which is the height of the LF wall. It's what the Angels did for their ballpark last year with their huge wall in RF. They lowered the line from 18 feet to 8 feet without reconstructing anything. The Giants could do that with their 25 foot wall in RF.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to find a way to move the bullpens to somewhere safer for players. It may be "cool" to have bullpens out in the open like that, but the bullpen mound is terrible for players chasing foul balls. The article showed a clip of Bryce Harper a couple of years ago having a really scary moment stumbling over one of those mounds. Wonder if that factored into his not signing.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to find a way to move the bullpens to somewhere safer for players. It may be "cool" to have bullpens out in the open like that, but the bullpen mound is terrible for players chasing foul balls. The article showed a clip of Bryce Harper a couple of years ago having a really scary moment stumbling over one of those mounds. Wonder if that factored into his not signing.

The article did mention that it actually was a major factor in him ruling out SF. He didn't care as much about the fences, but the mounds.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article did mention that it actually was a major factor in him ruling out SF. He didn't care as much about the fences, but the mounds.

I read in a biography of Willie Mays that if he had not played at Candlestick, he would have wound up with something like 800 homers. I am sure the fences mattered, even a little, for Harper. Still, if you get injured tripping over a bullpen mound, fences matter not at all.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That "cool" location may have ended Mac Williamson's fledgling career.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That "cool" location may have ended Mac Williamson's fledgling career.

I'm honestly okay moving the bullpen to triples alley and cutting off the gap. It'll make the dimensions more fair, sure, but the wind won't change and that's still what knocks so many balls down. You could make it a short little fence over there so guys are able to scale the wall and may rob homeruns (kinda like Fenway).

Basically the Cove is far and away an extreme pitchers park, way more dramatic than all other parks. The Giants don't have to make it a hitter's park. Just go from absolute pitcher's park to like top-10 pitchers park or something.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk how to feel about this, honestly. while it'd be nice to make it more hitter friendly, I like having triples alley. I also dont like the idea of making the line on the arcade lower, because it totally defeats the purpose of having the brick wall to begin with.

i'm all for moving the bullpens out of the field though. it wouldn't break my heart to lose the garden and put the pens out there

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving the pen should be the first priority. Seen too many players almost hurt themselves as well as Mac probably having his future derailed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving the pen should be the first priority. Seen too many players almost hurt themselves as well as Mac probably having his future derailed.
This is the deal breaker, IMHO.

I love triples alley, but if it has to go in order to get the bully’s off the field, I can be sold.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk how to feel about this, honestly. while it'd be nice to make it more hitter friendly, I like having triples alley. I also dont like the idea of making the line on the arcade lower, because it totally defeats the purpose of having the brick wall to begin with.

i'm all for moving the bullpens out of the field though. it wouldn't break my heart to lose the garden and put the pens out there

The CF garden makes sense on so many levels, but it seems like it's never talked about among the media