• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

youth basketball

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on skill level but I always just ran motion. Lots of up screens and down screens . Usually high post and a lie post with 3 out. It's easy for kids to understand and you're not giving them a lot to remember . If you've got a kid who is elite you can implenent more but at that age it's really just fundamentals so notion us ggood because it works on screening and replacing the ball with rotation .

For D I usually did 3/4 court press with a drop back to zone but a lot if your leagues now don't let you press.

Funny story . When I was 20 I coached my sister's youth team . My sister is a natural athlete. Ended up first team all state in 3 sports in hs but basketball was her best sport ( went on to play in college ). She was an amazing ball handler from an early age. Could go between her legs and behind her back at full speed at age 5. This particular team had a lot of really good players ( was a 10-12 travel team ) and we were beating people by ridiculous scores ( won one game 92-2 in a 24 minute game ). Anyway our local hs team had a camp after our season and all my girls went . My sister talked shit to one of the HS girls so they decided to "teach these kids a lesson ". My youth team best the hs team by 12 lol.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on skill level but I always just ran motion. Lots of up screens and down screens . Usually high post and a lie post with 3 out. It's easy for kids to understand and you're not giving them a lot to remember . If you've got a kid who is elite you can implenent more but at that age it's really just fundamentals so notion us ggood because it works on screening and replacing the ball with rotation .

For D I usually did 3/4 court press with a drop back to zone but a lot if your leagues now don't let you press.

Funny story . When I was 20 I coached my sister's youth team . My sister is a natural athlete. Ended up first team all state in 3 sports in hs but basketball was her best sport ( went on to play in college ). She was an amazing ball handler from an early age. Could go between her legs and behind her back at full speed at age 5. This particular team had a lot of really good players ( was a 10-12 travel team ) and we were beating people by ridiculous scores ( won one game 92-2 in a 24 minute game ). Anyway our local hs team had a camp after our season and all my girls went . My sister talked shit to one of the HS girls so they decided to "teach these kids a lesson ". My youth team best the hs team by 12 lol.
no defense until final minutes of 2 and 4 qtr and no zone allowed....but skill levels are all over the place too. this is rec so no real elites some girls still all over the place just dribbling. after first game im not sure this years coach is going to advance them much either so i see some independent work needed on my part. worst part is that team only has 6 or 7 players each so not a lot of rest through subs either.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no defense until final minutes of 2 and 4 qtr and no zone allowed....but skill levels are all over the place too. this is rec so no real elites some girls still all over the place just dribbling. after first game im not sure this years coach is going to advance them much either so i see some independent work needed on my part. worst part is that team only has 6 or 7 players each so not a lot of rest through subs either.
Ugh. No zone just leads to anarchy if the skill level isn't good. I know why leagues do it but it just ends up with a bunch of girls huddled around the girl with the ball and because they can't call a foul every play it just degenerates into slop .