• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

You're GM Of The Knicks, Who Do You Hire?

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it hasn't worked mainly due to the fact they've been lacking a legit floor general...(point guard)

Point guards shouldn't matter with the triangle. Fischer is one of the best examples of that -- it extended his career by a few years. And the Bulls' PGs were average at best. (Paxson, Kerr)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the Knicks, I go with Mark Jackson. As GSW fans have pointed out, he did a great job of changing the culture of the organization and that's something the Knicks need, especially if Phil intends to return to LA.

Then, like GSW, when he's changed the culture and taken the team as far as he can, you bring in someone else to get them to the next level.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point guards shouldn't matter with the triangle. Fischer is one of the best examples of that -- it extended his career by a few years. And the Bulls' PGs were average at best. (Paxson, Kerr)

I meant that in the context of a PG being a great passer with the vision needed for the triangle to succeed, as well as being a 3 pt. threat....that the Knicks currently do not possess. Paxson & Kerr had those qualities...which opened up the floor for their other teammates....whenever they were within the offense.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the Knicks, I go with Mark Jackson. As GSW fans have pointed out, he did a great job of changing the culture of the organization and that's something the Knicks need, especially if Phil intends to return to LA.

Then, like GSW, when he's changed the culture and taken the team as far as he can, you bring in someone else to get them to the next level.

Maybe... Maybe go with a players coach there. No idea who that would be. (Scott Brooks? Luke Walton? Del *****?) But the last thing you want is a coach free agents look at and question if that's who he wants to play with.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant that in the context of a PG being a great passer with the vision needed for the triangle to succeed, as well as being a 3 pt. threat....that the Knicks currently do not possess. Paxson & Kerr had those qualities...which opened up the floor for their other teammates....whenever they were within the offense.

I don't know... to me, more the 3and D point with the vision/handler/passer 2 and 3. Melo is as far from that as you can be.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got a legend head coach right there in the mirror. You hire yourself, Phil Jackson.

Just like Pat Riley returned for a brief moment to lead the Heat and catapult them back to the top in the East. Phil should do the same, meanwhile searching for his replacement.

But also go get Luke Walton if you can.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got a legend head coach right there in the mirror. You hire yourself, Phil Jackson.

Problem is, according to Phil, he's done coaching. With his hips and back, the travel involved in being the coach is very difficult for him. He was trying to get the Lakers to let him coach only home games and selected games in the West when he was the coach 6 years ago. Can't imagine he'd be able to handle the travel any better now.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe... Maybe go with a players coach there. No idea who that would be. (Scott Brooks? Luke Walton? Del *****?) But the last thing you want is a coach free agents look at and question if that's who he wants to play with.

True. But the problem is, FA's aren't exactly beating down the Knicks door as it is and I'm not sure what their cap situation is. First thing, imo, is to change the culture so that they are more stable and winning more games.

Mark Jackson has shown he can do that. When they start winning more games, they can worry about whether or not they have a coach FA's want to play for.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, according to Phil, he's done coaching. With his hips and back, the travel involved in being the coach is very difficult for him. He was trying to get the Lakers to let him coach only home games and selected games in the West when he was the coach 6 years ago. Can't imagine he'd be able to handle the travel any better now.
I forgot about that, you are right.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about that, you are right.

Everyone does, even Lakers fans. People start thinking about all of those rings and forget that he's 70 and has been battling hip and back problems for awhile. It's part of why I didn't have too much of a problem when the Lakers didn't hire him back a couple of years ago.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blatt or Lue ( in about 4 months).

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Jackson isn't going to return to coaching. Period.
2. Walton will be retained by the Warriors, due to Kerr's lingering back issues which may force him out again..or retire.
3. No more ex-Lakers thank you very much. Sheeeeesh.
4. Dark horse candidates may include Mark Jackson, Scott Brooks, & George Karl (who will be done in sacramento soon)
5. Thibs should be the front runner...both from a recruiting standpoint and his defense first philosophy.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mark Jackson?

he got fired because he was awful at handling the locker room. There is a reason why he is still a broadcaster and likely to be one for a long while. culture change? the culture changed the next year when they became freaking awesome! lol. I think he was holding them back.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Jackson isn't going to return to coaching. Period.
2. Walton will be retained by the Warriors, due to Kerr's lingering back issues which may force him out again..or retire.
3. No more ex-Lakers thank you very much. Sheeeeesh.
4. Dark horse candidates may include Mark Jackson, Scott Brooks, & George Karl (who will be done in sacramento soon)
5. Thibs should be the front runner...both from a recruiting standpoint and his defense first philosophy.
I get the feeling that there is more to Kerr's health that hasn't been made public yet.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the GM of the Knicks, I completely abandon the Triangle and go from there

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Jackson?

he got fired because he was awful at handling the locker room. There is a reason why he is still a broadcaster and likely to be one for a long while. culture change? the culture changed the next year when they became freaking awesome! lol. I think he was holding them back.

He got fired after he turned the culture around. GSW fans give him credit for that. They didn't suddenly become "freaking awesome" the very next year after Jackson was fired. They had already become a good team.

They had a losing culture, Mark Jackson changed that and took them as far as he could. Kerr took over, essentially turned them loose and they were able to take the next step. You would know all of this if you actually watched games.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Jackson was a terrible tactician and had communication problems with the front office and coaching staff.

That being said, all the players (minus Bogut) universally loved him. They ran through walls for him. He turned the locker room around first. The mistakes he made at the end came from a result of him being on the hot seat and he was constantly worried about losing his job. His insecurity actually lead to his firing, more than anything.