• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Top 5 Available Coaches

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bleacherreport.com

I would've come up with my own analysis, but am to lazy at the moment, and I thought this would be a nice topic to discuss. They have like 10, but I thought I'd narrow it down to five in my order and plagerize their article... :P Jackson and Sloan don't count because I doubt either of them are going to coach again.

5) Mike Budenholzer

Having already interviewed with both the Atlanta Hawks, per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and the Detroit Pistons, per Yahoo! Sports, San Antonio Spurs' assistant Mike Budenholzer is firmly on the league's head coaching radar.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Budenholzer has earned his stripes as Gregg Popovich's right-hand man:

He's considered one of the NBA's top assistant coaches, and could ultimately be Popovich's successor should he decide to stay until the Spurs' future Hall of Fame coach retires.
Budenholzer has been on Popovich's staff for 16 years, including the past five as his top assistant.

With an education from arguably the league's best coach, Budenholzer feels like a rather safe bet for a young team that's on the cusp of playoff contention.

4)Nate McMillan

Of all of the high-profile coaches available, Nate McMillan has received the most substantial interest league-wide.

Not only have the Atlanta Hawks interviewed McMillan, per Yahoo! Sports, but he's interviewed with the Milwaukee Bucks as well, according to CBS Sports. He was once reportedly the front-runner for the Detroit Pistons' job, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Although McMillan's career winning percentage is just over .500 (.514 to be exact), he's shown patience in the past, building the Portland Trail Blazers up from a lottery team into a legitimate playoff contender (21-61 in 2005-06, 54-28 in 2008-09).

With younger teams like the Pistons and Bucks taking hard looks at McMillan, he could prove to be a nice fit with one of those Central division franchises

3)Jeff Van Gundy

Rumors surrounding the return of Jeff Van Gundy to the bench have been prevalent for a while now, but thus far there has been no definitive connection between the current ESPN commentator and a specific franchise.

Van Gundy had previously told Yahoo! Sports that he wouldn't consider taking the Brooklyn Nets job unless there was an opening long term, and that time has come with the departure of P.J. Carlesimo.

While chatter regarding Van Gundy has died down recently, there's no doubting that the former New York Knicks head man would be an intriguing fit in Brooklyn.

With experience coaching in a large media market and a compelling personality, Van Gundy has a career .575 winning percentage that would be welcomed with open arms by Mikhail Prokhorov.

In Van Gundy's last season as a head coach, he led the Houston Rockets to a 52-30 record (.634 winning percentage), but they were ultimately bounced in the first round of the playoffs by the Utah Jazz.

2)Stan Van Gundy

There's no denying Stan Van Gundy is the best available head coach at this point and time.

With a career winning percentage of .641, Van Gundy has been more than steady in his time as a head coach with the Miami Heat and Orlando Magic, winning 50 or more games in five of the six full seasons he's coached at the professional level.

To this point, Van Gundy has been linked most significantly with the Atlanta Hawks, as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported the former Magic coach has interviewed with the team.

However, with the Hawks apparently looking elsewhere, according to Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski, it will be fascinating to see which teams express interest in Van Gundy moving forward.

1)Brian Shaw (Sarver get your ass up and get him now!)

As far as assistant coaches go, Brian Shaw is the pre-eminent name among a rather deep group vying for head coaching jobs.

Alongside Mike Budenholzer and Kelvin Sampson, Shaw has established himself as an intelligent basketball mind. He has the potential to become a fantastic head coach in just a few years.

Having served as an assistant to Phil Jackson in his days on the Los Angeles Lakers bench, Shaw has a wealth of knowledge that will be put to good use once he's hired for a starring gig.

Now an assistant under Frank Vogel in Indiana, Shaw has plenty of strategies stored in his head, both offensively and defensively, that could make him a a great hire for either a young team on the rise or an established contender.

It's been speculated in the past that Shaw's commitment to the triangle offense has scared off teams from utilizing his services, but at some point, a team in need of an intelligent basketball mind will take a chance on the experienced assistant.

Discuss.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My number 1 is a tie with Lionel Hollins(more likely that he stays with Mem) and Brian Shaw. If by some weird occurence that Memphis lets him walk, Hollins if put in a situation with a team focused on using their bigs would be a great fit. It ticks me off that B-Shaw is even on such a list, considering the fact that the Lakers should've hired him when Phil retired. The triangle wasn't an exciting enough offense they say......only won us 5 titles. B-Shaw never had a fair chance because Jim Buss wanted to rid everything Phil Jackson related. Hope Shaw gets a fair shake somewhere else.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your list lost credibility when you did not have Vinny Del ***** on your list....Disappointed in you Chrisper

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see VDL on the list but I hope the Nets could get JVG. I think he would be perfect for the job, and could develop Lopez into a truly elite player in todays league. Also he would have them playing with heart and hopefully more old school with hard fouls.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would have lost credibility if VDL was on the list.

Also, I don't think Lopez will ever be an elite big man. He is way too soft. The man can score with the best, but any GM would take a Roy Hibbert, Tyson Chandler type player over Lopez any day.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your list lost credibility when you did not have Vinny Del ***** on your list....Disappointed in you Chrisper
The only thing his teams were known for is getting bounced out of the 1st rd of the playoffs, and when the one team he did coach that got past flamed out. Not a coach I'd want to lead my team.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would have lost credibility if VDL was on the list.

Also, I don't think Lopez will ever be an elite big man. He is way too soft. The man can score with the best, but any GM would take a Roy Hibbert, Tyson Chandler type player over Lopez any day.

Lopez isn't soft at all, just because he isn't a good rebounder doesn't mean he is soft. I would take Lopez over Hibbert or Chandler any day without thinking twice. Lopez's stats would be better if the Nets didn't play such a slow pace. If you look at his PER it is around 5th or 6th in the league (not sure but I'm pretty sure its around there).

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing his teams were known for is getting bounced out of the 1st rd of the playoffs, and when the one team he did coach that got past flamed out. Not a coach I'd want to lead my team.

I was being sarcastic

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez isn't soft at all, just because he isn't a good rebounder doesn't mean he is soft. I would take Lopez over Hibbert or Chandler any day without thinking twice. Lopez's stats would be better if the Nets didn't play such a slow pace. If you look at his PER it is around 5th or 6th in the league (not sure but I'm pretty sure its around there).

Yep Lopez was 5th in PER this year and was actually the top PF/C in PER as the other 4 in front of him were 3 SF and 1 PG

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't GSW have a top assistant who may get a job as well?

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your sarcasm is worse than reading a Prisco article. :p

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1