• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your rituals and/or superstitions, before sporting events!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This belongs in the "Off Topic" thread!

Do you "dress" for the game? Own a good luck charm that is with you as your favorite team is playing? Are you convinced that there's something that you can do on game day that's going to alter the outcome? I know that, there's plenty of apathy here in regard to our football team, but what about the time prior to your current reign of disinterest? This doesn't have to be about football either, all sports related rituals are welcome! Although I suspect that there's going to be some reticence in wanting to post on the subject, because it might seem a bit cra-cra, keep in mind we all have them, check out the article below!

Why people love to delude themselves with sports rituals ...

https://phys.org/news/2016-12-people-delude-sports-rituals-superstitions.html

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you "dress" for the game? Own a good luck charm that is with you as your favorite team is playing? Are you convinced that there's something that you can do on game day that's going to alter the outcome? I know that, there's plenty of apathy here in regard to our football team, but what about the time prior to your current reign of disinterest? This doesn't have to be about football either, all sports related rituals are welcome! Although I suspect that there's going to be some reticence in wanting to post on the subject, because it might seem a bit cra-cra, keep in mind we all have them, check out the article below!

Up until the last couple of years I wore a Redskin jersey or tshirt but not anymore. I am not very superstitious. I have a butt load of jerseys though. I have a Cousin's Viking jersery, a Franco Steeler jersey. Two Penn State jerseys one blue and one white, two Navy football jerseys and a lacrosse jersey and a copy of my old HS football jersey. Sort of DLine size now and not in scatback/CB size. :pound:

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Nats, I didnt shave, but thats because I hate shaving more than the “playoff beard” look I rocked for the Caps historic Stanley Cup run.

since they broke the DC course, and now the District will officially be known as tge District of Champions (minus the redskins, of course), I dont feel as though superstitions are necessary.

A perhaps more interesting question is this: who wins a world championship first - the Redskins or the Wizards.

My money is on the Wizards because Leonsis has won before...

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up until the last couple of years I wore a Redskin jersey or tshirt but not anymore. I am not very superstitious. I have a butt load of jerseys though. I have a Cousin's Viking jersery, a Franco Steeler jersey. Two Penn State jerseys one blue and one white, two Navy football jerseys and a lacrosse jersey and a copy of my old HS football jersey. Sort of DLine size now and not in scatback/CB size. :pound:
Sport, did you play HS football in or near the DMV? What years?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, a little before my time. Courtland HS 84-87

Yep me and another guy on here I won't call any names (Sty) played in the leather helmet days, our nose is under our left ear because we didn't have facemasks. :dhd: Still pretty much country when you were in school. Lots of talent coming out of there now. Penn State has someone recruiting that area pretty well.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, a little before my time. Courtland HS 84-87

HEY!! Did you repeat a couple of years. Just teasing. HS was only three years when I went. My senior year I took the work program so I only had to go to two classes and then I went to work. Didn't play that year because I was working.

What position did you play?

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No superstitions and only one ritual . . . make sure there is plenty of cold beer in the refrigerator before the game starts.

Sknzrule

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a skins fan since 71. My wife I used to travel to DC for a Skins game almost every year from NC starting back in 93. Stopped that about 5 years ago. Now I wont even bother going to the Panthers game when they play at home against the Skins. My pregame move is to take Pepto Bismal so I did get sick watching them play. I am seriously thinking about dropping the Sunday ticket too. It used to be a big part of our lives and we really enjoyed the games, but I mostly watch it now out of habit. Haven't bought any NFL gear in 3 or 4 years and have instructed my family not to buy Redskins gear for me anymore. I have over 100 Redskins hat pack away in a box in my attic. So sad Snyder and his boys have ruined it for me and my wife.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fullback, southern MoCo, 92-96.

No pregame ritual because I feel that you have to be personally invested in your team - you have to have a SKIN in the game, as they say - in order to be superstitious about the outcome.

That ship started to sail at the end of the KC fiasco, and is well in its way to the Gray Havens now....

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to stafford 76-80 . I wouldn’t doubt we know some people
I'm certain some of your friends likely know my brother who was 5 years older. I knew the Lenzi's from Stafford. Stafford was our wrestling foe back then.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEY!! Did you repeat a couple of years. Just teasing. HS was only three years when I went. My senior year I took the work program so I only had to go to two classes and then I went to work. Didn't play that year because I was working.

What position did you play?
I was a CB and believe this, the long snapper on ST. We had one goal every year, State Champions!

I will go out on a limb and say you played LB?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a CB and believe this, the long snapper on ST. We had one goal every year, State Champions!

I will go out on a limb and say you played LB?

Nope, I was a 130 lb. RB (swing back in a power I) and right CB. I wore number 43 because I loved Larry Brown. Suitland was mediocre at best back then. McNamara was the nearest good football team. As Deion would say … "he was fast for a white boy."

Suitland was a state power when I was there with my nephews a few years back. We went to states and played in the Ravens stadium in the youngest's senior year. Lost though. Out coached. We had three former NFL guys on that coaching staff. Fun times. I miss it now.

Last edited: