• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Your Preference for the Tourney: Cinderella Stories or Best Possible Matchups

What do you Prefer in the NCAA Tournament?

• The Improbable Cinderella Run Deep into the Tourney

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • The Powerhouse Name Brand Match-up Featuring Superstar Talent

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard two differing opinions on the subject of Loyola and Cinderella teams in March. The majority seem to love hopping on the underdog bandwagon. However, there does seem to be a crowd who believes the Loyola Ramblers, Dayton Flyers and George Mason's of the world to be bad for the tournament. That the best thing for the tourney -- is the best possible match-ups. I heard one person today say that "This is all cute... but what college basketball should really want is the Duke/Kentucky title match-up."

Personally -- I feel like the people who say this are simply trying too hard to take a "contrarian" "Bah Humbug!" angle.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I wanted the best team to win I would have a 16 team tournament probably. If I wanted money I would want as many teams as possible for maximum chance of "upsets" and to get teams in there that don't get much of a chance to show their case due to schedule.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want good games. I don't care if that means Loyola beating NEVADA by 1 or KENTUCKY beating Duke by 1. Blowouts suck .

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of like how this tourney is playing out. Madness on one side and stacked teams on the other.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone who thinks LIC is a real cinderella didnt watch them this season......

Like the 7th biggest school in their own city, hasn't been in the tourney since the 80's and didn't play a single ranked team all year.

Sorry... that's a Cinderella. I don't care how good they looked vs Missouri State. lol

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody who didn't almost drop it the night the final shot almost went in for Butler hasn't got a damned pulse.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the 7th biggest school in their own city, hasn't been in the tourney since the 80's and didn't play a single ranked team all year.

Sorry... that's a Cinderella. I don't care how good they looked vs Missouri State. lol
LIL has met all the criteria of a very good team that survived in a tournament that is designed for them to take one for the team. They are still standing and the only people who aren't rooting for them are K-State fans.
This shit is good for the mid-majors. The rest of the Valley is seeing this and knowing they might only be a couple of players away from the same thing.
I won't call them Cinderella, because they are pretty good.
But it's why I keep watching this tournament, which is mixing in nicely with the 44 minutes of commercials every hour.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balance. Too many upsets on the left side.

It was overkill

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LIL has met all the criteria of a very good team that survived in a tournament that is designed for them to take one for the team. They are still standing and the only people who aren't rooting for them are K-State fans.
This shit is good for the mid-majors. The rest of the Valley is seeing this and knowing they might only be a couple of players away from the same thing.
I won't call them Cinderella, because they are pretty good.
But it's why I keep watching this tournament, which is mixing in nicely with the 44 minutes of commercials every hour.

So... when you win games in the tourney. You're "good" and therefore not a Cinderella? lol.

This logic has an absurd amount of flaws in it.

George Mason was actually ranked during the course of their 05-06 season, and they were certainly a Cinderella.

The entire argument is ridiculous. Loyola is a very small school, with no basketball success in a half century (the 60's... was wrong about the 80's). They're pulling last second wins out of their ass to survive. They played well in their small conference. However, that does not make them some kind of a front-runner. They're beyond an afterthought as a basketball school. ALL of the mid-major teams were good in their conference... that is how they got there.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... when you win games in the tourney. You're "good" and therefore not a Cinderella? lol.

This logic has an absurd amount of flaws in it.

George Mason was actually ranked during the course of their 05-06 season, and they were certainly a Cinderella.

The entire argument is ridiculous. Loyola is a very small school, with no basketball success in a half century (the 60's... was wrong about the 80's). They're pulling last second wins out of their ass to survive. They played well in their small conference. However, that does not make them some kind of a front-runner. They're beyond an afterthought as a basketball school. ALL of the mid-major teams were good in their conference... that is how they got there.
Well crap, if you want to call them a Cinderella, I got no problem with that. If it's about anybody other than the usual suspects, even Gonzaga is a Cinderella. Butler was -- twice. Wichita was, by those standards. Loyola belongs in this tournament. That's my point. I don't hang on labels all that much. But I follow the MVC and Loyola was the only consistently good team in it this year.

Aside from definition, I really don't know why you are having a problem with my comments.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they been minor underdogs in all 3 tournament games this year not double digit "cinderellas" (miami and ksu +1.5 and tenn +5) and they beat #23 florida at home in december....not a cinderella to me because i witnessed that they could play ball with anyone then

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Udoka Azubuike is hampered by a bad knee and looked much maligned by that 1960's brace they had him wearing. That should be worth something

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little bit of both but i prefer watching the best talent.

This year is a bit like the AFC playoffs the past couple of years.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By way of defining this, the "Cinderella" is the team that's succeeding even though nobody thought they would.
I agree with Tabasco ... Loyola has a talented team. Their problem is that the ESPN-type pundits on the sports talk shows and internet media have their heads up their asses with the ACC, the Big 12 and the SEC ... it's 'oh by the way, Loyola has an old nun who prays for them.'

Seriously, the tournament isn't set up to let Loyola or Geo. Mason or Butler get to the final 4. Those of us who are pulling for those guys are sometimes as much pissed at the system as anything.

That said, if the Ramblers win tonight, I don't think I'd have ever guessed it. I figured they could win 1 game in the tournament, but not 2 or 3. They can beat KState. The old nun will get some face time.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Michigan wins 3 of the 4 final 4 teams will be teams seeded 3 or higher. For all the craziness still a lot of chalk

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the above

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of you fags probably want to see Sister Jean popoff.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming it isn't Kentucky..... I'd prefer to have a Cinderella facing off against a power team. Having two Cinderellas face off against each other is boring late in the tourney. Butler against Duke was a great example of a Cinderella vs power in the championship.