• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your biggest draft fears?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The games I watched 0 emotions lack of Urgency what so ever like a drone on the field when losing. I am glad we are out of the looking for a QB because Gauging them is impossible. He seems slow on the field getting rid of the football

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on not looking for a QB. Not much in this draft class outside of Burrow gets me excited. I think Herbert can be ok, not great. Tua is a boom or bust. I have a lot of doubts. Never been real high on Framm. Jordan Love intrigues me but I feel it has to be in the right situation with a coach who is good at developing. He has a shot.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on not looking for a QB. Not much in this draft class outside of Burrow gets me excited. I think Herbert can be ok, not great. Tua is a boom or bust. I have a lot of doubts. Never been real high on Framm. Jordan Love intrigues me but I feel it has to be in the right situation with a coach who is good at developing. He has a shot.

that how I see it as well

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that Herbert is immature. We know what can happen with an immature but talented QB. I think that could end up being his down fall.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that Herbert is immature. We know what can happen with an immature but talented QB. I think that could end up being his down fall.

I haven’t heard the immature part but I have heard he has trouble relating to teammates. Coaches kept urging him to have a bigger voice in the locker room and he just never could naturally do it.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t heard the immature part but I have heard he has trouble relating to teammates. Coaches kept urging him to have a bigger voice in the locker room and he just never could naturally do it.

Same impression I have gathered with Herbert.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same impression I have gathered with Herbert.

It sounds like at the Senior Bowl and at the Combine he tried to be a louder voice and show teams he can be that. My biggest issue with that is if it isn't natural then I can't see it lasting or working. Players know when someone is being untrue to themselves and don't usually respect that.

I think Herbert can do fine in the NFL and surround him with talent and leadership the team can thrive. I just don't see him as being the guy when the team needs a play and every player is turnign to him that he steps up in those moments. He struggled in the big games that were close throughout his college career.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree Carl. Leading is natural. You can develop it obviously but, seems you either have it or you don’t!

Fair analysis as well. Herbert never shined in the big moment. He has great tools but he has a lot of developmental stages left. Actually, very wise that he returned to school last year. Might make the difference for him.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree Carl. Leading is natural. You can develop it obviously but, seems you either have it or you don’t!

Fair analysis as well. Herbert never shined in the big moment. He has great tools but he has a lot of developmental stages left. Actually, very wise that he returned to school last year. Might make the difference for him.

For what it's worth - I disagree - leadership is a learned behavior, but represents a rare skill.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth - I disagree - leadership is a learned behavior, but represents a rare skill.

When I say natural I don’t mean you are born with it or not. I mean you either naturally want to do it because it is who you are or it isn’t. Definitely can be learned.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is learned to a point. Kind of like WR's can learn to catch a football but there are some that are more naturally gifted at being able to do it.

For Herbert it is a lot more work to relate to his teammates than say Drew Lock. Doesn't mean he will be a bust as Aaron Rodgers had trouble relating to people all of his life and obviously has been very successful.

And I would say there are different types of leadership but right now I'm struggling to see which one Herbert would even show. I think his best course of action when he gets to the NFL is be a leader by working harder than anyone else. Earns the respect of teammates and coaches when you do that and doesn't require the relational side of things to make that work as much.

wishful thinking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest fear is that we draft 11 cornerbacks as we draft a cornerback with every pick. Draftcrazy then is so excited that he gets a woody and can't keep it down.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I say natural I don’t mean you are born with it or not. I mean you either naturally want to do it because it is who you are or it isn’t. Definitely can be learned.

Yeah, that clears things up. LOL

For what it's worth - it just made me thing of a personal experience.

When I was entering 7th grade, my mother got a letter from the school district letting her know that I was selected to be in the Gifted and Talented program. My mother was a life long educator, but it didn't take her any time at all to show up at school with me the next day. The principal's lobby had a line of women who were there to get their kids into the talented and gifted program, but my mother was there to get me out. I remember her telling the principal that even if she believed the school district could pick the smartest students out of a crowd - which she clearly didn't believe that - she wanted her kid returned to general education. She made the point that what is the sense of putting all the smart kids in the same room where only one of them learns how to be a leader? She told them to stick her son in a regular class and give him a chance to be a leader - the education will take care of itself. In my 50 years of considering this question - I think my mom was correct.

There is nothing in our social structure that fosters leadership skills - social constraints work toward everyone being compliant. That is why it is rare.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that clears things up. LOL

For what it's worth - it just made me thing of a personal experience.

When I was entering 7th grade, my mother got a letter from the school district letting her know that I was selected to be in the Gifted and Talented program. My mother was a life long educator, but it didn't take her any time at all to show up at school with me the next day. The principal's lobby had a line of women who were there to get their kids into the talented and gifted program, but my mother was there to get me out. I remember her telling the principal that even if she believed the school district could pick the smartest students out of a crowd - which she clearly didn't believe that - she wanted her kid returned to general education. She made the point that what is the sense of putting all the smart kids in the same room where only one of them learns how to be a leader? She told them to stick her son in a regular class and give him a chance to be a leader - the education will take care of itself. In my 50 years of considering this question - I think my mom was correct.

There is nothing in our social structure that fosters leadership skills - social constraints work toward everyone being compliant. That is why it is rare.

You have one smart mom Mingo. Very impressive. I wish there were more programs that could help develop those skills in kids. I was one that my best classes in high school and college were the ones that I was challenged the most and asked to be creative in the work I was doing. That requires a lot of people putting in a lot of work to make that happen though.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have one smart mom Mingo. Very impressive. I wish there were more programs that could help develop those skills in kids. I was one that my best classes in high school and college were the ones that I was challenged the most and asked to be creative in the work I was doing. That requires a lot of people putting in a lot of work to make that happen though.

Thanks Carl. I realized a few years later - my mother directed her conversation to the principal, but the speech she made that day was for me to hear. I'm thinking that was some pretty good parenting.