• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yeah, we lost but I'll tell you what I liked...

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
tough game. there were a couple things that jumped out though that even though they did come out with an 'L' shows that the team is legit (and not just a product of a weak schedule as some have claimed).

1. Resilience. Took the Steelers best shot and didnt implode as previous Bengals teams would've. Never pannicked.

2. Physical Team. Even though they lost they were not bullied nor intimidated by the Steelers as previous teams have been (or at least seemed to have been). I would say that the Bengals were, in fact, the more physical team and the aggressor. I'd say the roles are switching where Pitt is taking on the form of a finesse team.

3. Dalton. The vaunted steelers D didnt phase the rook. He looked more poised and in control than I woudl argue either Palmer or Flacco v the Steelers. A sign of good things to come. Also, if you saw the look on Daltons face as time wound down it was evident that the dude was not happy about playing well and holding his own. He expected to win. He wasnt yucking it up during the final moments like some previous Bengals stars have been

4. Probably went unnoticed but A.SMith had his best game as a pro. Overall, the O-line played pretty well. Whit had a couple holds (one of which was a total phantom call) but the bookends looked good. Actually, the interior played about as well as could be expected based on the personnel.

What I didnt like...

The pass D. Horribly overmatched. Hall just doesnt have the quicks to check a WR like Wallace. Clements is a sturdy, try hard guy but also not athletic enough to hang w explosive WR's. The front 7 will need to generate pressure or this secondary is just going to get hammered. The good news is we got two first round picks...I think we can bank on one of those being used on a corner.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Last season we lost to them by 6 points and 16 points @ Pittsburgh.
2009 we swept them.

Point being, it was a divisional game, when you have 2 good teams going at it, they're going to be close. And this is true for any division, not just ours.

Our defense and offense looked good at certain times, but they looked just as bad if not worse at others.

Was that the Steelers best shot? I'm not so sure. Their defense was average as was Roethlisberger.

The one thing I do agree with is that we're probably the more physical team now. (Smith has also come into his own.)

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When teams are evenly matched the desperate team often wins. I didnt think we did a goo job of matching their intensity early and I thought we let up when we finally tied it. Almost like we were too satisfied with staying in the game.

That said, we had a chance late, but Simpson really blew it. That was a horrible route. When aj runs the slant he always cuts in front of the db. Simpson looked like he was stoned.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can stay healthy(and that's a big if) we'll beat them in Pittsburgh.....this was one to grow on for our young QB and team....Dalton will go to school off this one.....

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When teams are evenly matched the desperate team often wins. I didnt think we did a goo job of matching their intensity early and I thought we let up when we finally tied it. Almost like we were too satisfied with staying in the game.

That said, we had a chance late, but Simpson really blew it. That was a horrible route. When aj runs the slant he always cuts in front of the db. Simpson looked like he was stoned.

I mostly agree with this. It might've been a different result had Green stayed healthy.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I mostly agree with this. It might've been a different result had Green stayed healthy.

This and not going down 14-0 right from the jump. Conversly you could say that Pitt left a lot of plays on the field. Brown and Wallace just abused our CB's. I saw Jennings giving Wallace a 15 yard cushion.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This and not going down 14-0 right from the jump. Conversly you could say that Pitt left a lot of plays on the field. Brown and Wallace just abused our CB's. I saw Jennings giving Wallace a 15 yard cushion.

Yup. Our run game was solid today as well, but unfortunately, you can't use it when you start the game down 2 scores.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Our run game was solid today as well, but unfortunately, you can't use it when you start the game down 2 scores.

We averaged 4.2 per pop vs 3.5 for the Steelers...eerily close to the projection....

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought they did a good job of rotating Benson and Scott. All in all I thought they played pretty well with the exception of giving up the early scores and defending the pass.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Playing without Green, Dunlap, and Hall, and still only losing by 7, and actually driving at the end is impressive to me.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Playing without Green, Dunlap, and Hall, and still only losing by 7, and actually driving at the end is impressive to me.

I think it shows that the roster is legit and finally has some depth. Talent wise the Bengals and Steelers are not far off (and the Bengals are far younger with a shit load of picks coming up...I think 7 in the first 4 rounds). We're set at QB with a guy who it seems will be very difficult to bengalize. I wouldnt be suprised to see this team go up and get a 'w' in Pitt.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it shows that the roster is legit and finally has some depth. Talent wise the Bengals and Steelers are not far off (and the Bengals are far younger with a shit load of picks coming up...I think 7 in the first 4 rounds). We're set at QB with a guy who it seems will be very difficult to bengalize. I wouldnt be suprised to see this team go up and get a 'w' in Pitt.

We're doing better at depth than in previous years. Remember the game we only had 2 linebackers on the field? yuck.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good morning. Not here to rub it in, but to say congrats...your boys are a real team now. Came back from 14 pts down, turned it into a nail biter. Fought hard, but clean. And your rookie QB looks like a vet. Having Palmer quit was the best thing that could've happened to the Bengals.

If your team reaches the post-season and mine doesn't, I'll be rooting for the striped ones.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wish we could have played that 2nd half with Green in there. It was awful watching us have to work with stone hands Simpson and no-hands Caldwell.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben and the pittsburg qb committee give Dalton warm fuzzies:

Notes: Hall looks lost for season; Green vows to be back; Steelers salute Dalton

***8220;He***8217;s a good player. He spins the ball really well, especially with the wind. He was spinning it really well,***8221; Roethlisberger said. ***8220;He seems to be very cerebral. He knows what***8217;s going on out there. I think that he is playing the best out of all the rookie quarterbacks. The other guys have numbers, but he makes some great throws. We were on the sideline, Byron, (Leftwich) Charlie (Batch) and I and we were saying ***8216;Oh, that***8217;s a good throw.***8217; He makes good throws, he anticipates and I think he***8217;s playing really well. I told him, ***8216;We***8217;ll see you in a couple weeks, but you***8217;re playing lights out.' ***8221;

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good quote. I think many people are impressed with what he's done as a rookie.