• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WSU @ Auburn

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, this Saturday is the first game of the season for the 2013 Cougars. I haven't followed the offseason as much as in years past due to being so disappointed in Leach, so I haven't really read much about what people are saying about this coming team.

Last year's Auburn team was not a very good team, but neither were the Cougars, and it being in Auburn really won't help the cause much. Since it's on ESPN, I have the DVR set in case something comes up and I miss the game when it's live.

This game can go a long way in seeing if this year's team will be better than the train wreck that was last season. I don't buy into the idea that Leach needs to wait until his guys are there to before people should expect anything from him. He needs to win, and he needs to win now. With that in mind, do the Cougars even have a chance at winning this game?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, so far it has looked good for the Cougars. A TD on their opening drive, and a lot of help from Auburn to get a punt on their first defensive opportunity. Let's see if the offense can put up some more points this season. At least week 1 this year looks better than week 1 last year (6 points against BYU).

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game has been pretty good so far. Only down 7, hopefully the Cougars can come back, it would be a huge confidence booster to pull this road game out.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with 2 minutes left, it doesn't look like the Cougs are gonna pull it out. At least they've kept it close.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the UW game so I didn't get to watch any of this game. How did the offense look for WSU? Real curious to see if Halliday makes that next step and if that offense can click. Hard to tell about a defense in it's first game when it's on the road in such a hostile environment, but I'm more interested in watching the progress of Leach's vaunted air raid coug style. I see you all ended up with over 460 yards of total offense and most of that was in the passing game. How many were deep passes? Any of you buying into that offense yet?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, first Halladay. He looked good at times, but he also has a tendency to force the ball or at least decide where he's going before the snap. His 3 INTs were actually the difference in the game. If he doesn't throw them there's a possible 15 point swing. He was also inaccurate with his short game, and that is an issue with this offense. He seemed more willing to throw it short than last year, but he just doesn't have the touch right now. But, he did show a lot of improvement.

I was actually more impressed with the 120 yards rushing than the 344 yards passing. In this offense, the passing yards will come, but 120 yards is like 5 games of production last year. If the Cougars keep the threat of a running game hanging out there, then the passing game will be more effective.

I thought the defense was looking really good. I know they gave up a lot of rushing yards, but they got off the field on 3rd downs (4-14 conversion for Auburn) and one of their TDs allowed came on a short field from Halladay's first pick. They gave up the one big run, but otherwise I thought they were a lot better than they were last year.

There were some issues to be sure, but the game was a lot closer than I expected, and honestly I think the Cougs win that game if they don't turn the ball over. Since the only game I saw last year was teh BYU game, the team is playing much better week 1 this season than week 1 last season.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That bodes well for your home games then. Defenses are always better at home. Halliday's INT's and lack of consistency on the short routes is why I've been saying you all won't see the full turn around until Leach has his QB in there. Still, that first game gives hope that you can reach a bowl game this year if they keep working on things.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That bodes well for your home games then. Defenses are always better at home. Halliday's INT's and lack of consistency on the short routes is why I've been saying you all won't see the full turn around until Leach has his QB in there. Still, that first game gives hope that you can reach a bowl game this year if they keep working on things.

Yeah, not a huge fan of Halliday's, which was one of my issues with last season, since Leach benched Tuel for him on more than one occasion. Halliday is just a Junior though, so he might develop some more accuracy as he gets more comfortable throwing those passes.