• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WoW Classic

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So anyone going to play comes out late Aug? Been running Shadow Disc Priest in Beta pretty fun to back to the old school play before Blizzard ruined the game.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm, I may give it a shot. The best thing about WOW classic (and TBC/Early WOTLK) was the lack of dungeon/raid finder... game somewhat died as soon as they did that, ditched the talent trees, and made leveling a cake walk.

Getting a group together in Ogrimmar and then all traveling together to the dungeon, having to mark/CC things properly was fun.. it gave you a sense of achievement for clearing a dungeon and created friendships. I lost interest in WOW 100% when you could queue up for a dungeon, say nothing to each other for 30-45 minutes, and then just queue back in town. Pathetic. Only thing that kept me around in Cata (and installing Mist) was the PVP folks. But priest was ATROCIOUS in Cata early on so it was like, "F this game."

That said, I dunno. WOW classic was a major time sink and I hit level 60 (first char) about a month before TBC released... so I got to experience SOME grind, but there was always new content... and I was primarily PVP/Arena in TBC, did the whole raid + Arena scene again in WOTLK - so always fresh content.

I feel like the game will never capture the original discovery and awe factor when I first played it. Everything was new/fresh, there were very few guides, YouTube really wasn't cemented, THOTTBOT was the source of info, lol. Everyone wasn't SUPER annoyed with everyone else with DPS charts and freaking out because things weren't 100% optimized (unless you were a high end guild), etc. It had a very FUN feel to it.

WOW Classic will be MOSTLY people who are VERY familiar with the game and have done it before or are older and have the patience to sit through the 'grind' (which was very real in WOW Classic)... I don't think there's going to be a TON of casuals with the current state WOW out, and that is needed to make a GREAT MMO (which is why WOW was great to begin with).

All said, I might give it a month and see how it goes. I originally made an Spriest and always was my main (switched to Disc/Holy at times for arena/raids). Hit glad on him, black proto drake, heroic WOTLK stuff, the works. I'd be tempted to try a mage - prob. Undead, that zone was so bitchin'. I've had a max level pally, druid, warrior, priest. I could roll spriest again given I never really got to experience Classic with him... but it'd be fun to try somethin' different. Mages are still an S/A tier class.

Last edited:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm, I may give it a shot. The best thing about WOW classic (and TBC/Early WOTLK) was the lack of dungeon/raid finder... game somewhat died as soon as they did that, ditched the talent trees, and made leveling a cake walk.

Getting a group together in Ogrimmar and then all traveling together to the dungeon, having to mark/CC things properly was fun.. it gave you a sense of achievement for clearing a dungeon and created friendships. I lost interest in WOW 100% when you could queue up for a dungeon, say nothing to each other for 30-45 minutes, and then just queue back in town. Pathetic. Only thing that kept me around in Cata (and installing Mist) was the PVP folks. But priest was ATROCIOUS in Cata early on so it was like, "F this game."

That said, I dunno. WOW classic was a major time sink and I hit level 60 (first char) about a month before TBC released... so I got to experience SOME grind, but there was always new content... and I was primarily PVP/Arena in TBC, did the whole raid + Arena scene again in WOTLK - so always fresh content.

I feel like the game will never capture the original discovery and awe factor when I first played it. Everything was new/fresh, there were very few guides, YouTube really wasn't cemented, THOTTBOT was the source of info, lol. Everyone wasn't SUPER annoyed with everyone else with DPS charts and freaking out because things weren't 100% optimized (unless you were a high end guild), etc. It had a very FUN feel to it.

WOW Classic will be MOSTLY people who are VERY familiar with the game and have done it before or are older and have the patience to sit through the 'grind' (which was very real in WOW Classic)... I don't think there's going to be a TON of casuals with the current state WOW out, and that is needed to make a GREAT MMO (which is why WOW was great to begin with).

All said, I might give it a month and see how it goes. I originally made an Spriest and always was my main (switched to Disc/Holy at times for arena/raids). Hit glad on him, black proto drake, heroic WOTLK stuff, the works. I'd be tempted to try a mage - prob. Undead, that zone was so bitchin'. I've had a max level pally, druid, warrior, priest. I could roll spriest again given I never really got to experience Classic with him... but it'd be fun to try somethin' different. Mages are still an S/A tier class.

Yeah it won't have the wow factor ( Nice Pun ) but for the purest it will attract a lot of us. I left the game because new comers were coming it a lvl 40 all geared up, with special mounts and power leveling gear etc. WoW Classic does offer to make you work for toon, and I love the talent tree being back.

I am rolling a Shadow / Disc Priest which may seem and odd combo b/c most don't feel it will synergize but I think it can work. Hey for shits and giggles and old times sake I'll do it.

On a personal note when I first got into gaming my kid was 7 we played Diablo and later switched to WoW but as I said WoW got to easy and we both quit, we havn't played on line together since. He got into first person shooter games and I drifted to Elder Scolls On line. This will bring us back together him now being 27 and me 56 so I guess I have a sentimental attraction too.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it won't have the wow factor ( Nice Pun ) but for the purest it will attract a lot of us. I left the game because new comers were coming it a lvl 40 all geared up, with special mounts and power leveling gear etc. WoW Classic does offer to make you work for toon, and I love the talent tree being back.

I am rolling a Shadow / Disc Priest which may seem and odd combo b/c most don't feel it will synergize but I think it can work. Hey for shits and giggles and old times sake I'll do it.

On a personal note when I first got into gaming my kid was 7 we played Diablo and later switched to WoW but as I said WoW got to easy and we both quit, we havn't played on line together since. He got into first person shooter games and I drifted to Elder Scolls On line. This will bring us back together him now being 27 and me 56 so I guess I have a sentimental attraction too.

I dabbled in shadow/disc combos, even good ol' shadow/holy. That was the fun of the talent trees. I would admittedly love to play shadow priest again - I remember when I first played the game the thought of an undead priest going through the journey and then switching to SHADOW just seemed like such a cool lore mechanic. And removal of mana burn/infinite mana was the stupidest thing Blizzard ever did PVP design wise.

Affliction lock could be really fun too though. I never did get a max level warlock and the undead warlock seems equally like fun lore.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dabbled in shadow/disc combos, even good ol' shadow/holy. That was the fun of the talent trees. I would admittedly love to play shadow priest again - I remember when I first played the game the thought of an undead priest going through the journey and then switching to SHADOW just seemed like such a cool lore mechanic. And removal of mana burn/infinite mana was the stupidest thing Blizzard ever did PVP design wise.

Affliction lock could be really fun too though. I never did get a max level warlock and the undead warlock seems equally like fun lore.

Blizz nerfed the hell out of Shadow Priests they were way to powerful, they needed to even things up, then they made rougues to powerful. I don't play a lot of PVP so that really did not effect me. But the Capture the Flag games ( Forgot What They Are Called ) the nerf really did make the S. Priest less of an asset. I did make a Disc / Holy Priest for those games that was a good toon

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blizz nerfed the hell out of Shadow Priests they were way to powerful, they needed to even things up, then they made rougues to powerful. I don't play a lot of PVP so that really did not effect me. But the Capture the Flag games ( Forgot What They Are Called ) the nerf really did make the S. Priest less of an asset. I did make a Disc / Holy Priest for those games that was a good toon

Shadow Priest if I recall was decently powerful all through WOW Classic (if undead with devouring plague). It was TBC where after S1 they nerfed the F out of it (while buffing most other classes). Getting glad in 2s with a lock was a cake walk in season 1. Season 2? Not so much...

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grinded a Priest and a Rogue. I was the first Horde player on my server to get some badass sword from Onyxia, so that was pretty special.

but it was such a time sink. Why would anyone want to do this again with some old game? Why is it being re-released? Is it free or something?

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From release until TBC, WOW was an amazing game. TBC was ok, but I was pretty pissed that the Epic gear I had been farming on Raid, Raid that took 3-4 hours every week (sometimes 2) was easily replaced by killing a Pig outside of Hellfire.

Cata pissed me off, as a lot of the areas I loved were now all fucked up - racetrack, 1000 needles, Menthil. Then Pandas, WTF? I've played off and on since, but the community slowly became cancerous. People standing in Stormwind, trolling you for the gear you had on. Pugs, that people would say RIP and quit after the first pull - a pull that went jsut fine BTW.

I loved Vanilla, but I have no faith that Activision/Blizzard can execute Classic properly. I can't imagine the current crop of palyers, who no nothing but mounts at 20, dungeon group finders, raid finders, will put up with the Vanilla model for very long. It will be too hard for them.

Plus, most current people are not used to 3-4 hours raids.

I deleted everything related to Blizzard from my machine and it felt good. Maybe if Blizzard takes a queue from Bungie and dumps Activision, I'll come back. Otherwise, I'll stick with ESO.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shadow Priest if I recall was decently powerful all through WOW Classic (if undead with devouring plague). It was TBC where after S1 they nerfed the F out of it (while buffing most other classes). Getting glad in 2s with a lock was a cake walk in season 1. Season 2? Not so much...
Agreed. The nerfs and buffs made a lot of people opt to different toons. If people play the role and provide a little protection to S. Priest it was still fun to play. But in the Capture the Flag game people tend to be one for themselves.

I grinded a Priest and a Rogue. I was the first Horde player on my server to get some badass sword from Onyxia, so that was pretty special.

but it was such a time sink. Why would anyone want to do this again with some old game? Why is it being re-released? Is it free or something?

Nope not free, people left WoW in droves because they like the original set up with limited professions, characters when you had to earn all you got. IMO it's more pure then WoW of today

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From release until TBC, WOW was an amazing game. TBC was ok, but I was pretty pissed that the Epic gear I had been farming on Raid, Raid that took 3-4 hours every week (sometimes 2) was easily replaced by killing a Pig outside of Hellfire.

Cata pissed me off, as a lot of the areas I loved were now all fucked up - racetrack, 1000 needles, Menthil. Then Pandas, WTF? I've played off and on since, but the community slowly became cancerous. People standing in Stormwind, trolling you for the gear you had on. Pugs, that people would say RIP and quit after the first pull - a pull that went jsut fine BTW.

I loved Vanilla, but I have no faith that Activision/Blizzard can execute Classic properly. I can't imagine the current crop of palyers, who no nothing but mounts at 20, dungeon group finders, raid finders, will put up with the Vanilla model for very long. It will be too hard for them.

I deleted everything related to Blizzard from my machine and it felt good. Maybe if Blizzard takes a queue from Bungie and dumps Activision, I'll come back. Otherwise, I'll stick with ESO.

Yeah I play ESO too but that get's boring quick. Any game that is to easy is a bore to me, I like the grind of game but that's just me.

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I play ESO too but that get's boring quick. Any game that is to easy is a bore to me, I like the grind of game but that's just me.
/nods...

I do like the new Necro class. I rolled a Stamcro and so far it's my favorite class. I have a 50 MagDk and a 50 MagSorc, but I'm not motivated to play them as they are too low AP wise for Vets, and the normal pugs are aids.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this, 100%. I don't think there will be enough casuals in WOW Classic and you need a lot of casuals to make a good MMO IMO. Any high end raiding will be by hardcore players (who can PROVE their achievements on an existing character) and guilds already formed from current state WOW. All the mods in current WOW I'm sure will be available to some degree (or at some point) to WOW classic, which will make a lot of the original discovery and 'proving yourself' obsolete. Add to that the grind after most players have seen the streamlined/casual approach of WOW for the last 4-5 expansions... I don't see it.

And IF somehow the game got a huge following, I have zero faith Blizz wont start changing or messing with things. "We feel x class/ability is too overpowered in current WOW classic so we've nerfed...." blah blah blah. Other things like 'wall jumping' and fun exploits in Vanilla will cease to exist, etc.

I think if I had a bunch of friends (who have long since moved past WOW) going back into it I'd join, but to start from scratch and build up my 'community status' only to have most guilds/people probably say, "Link us your armory of your main toon." bleh.

Again - I could maybe see myself subbing for a month for a bit of nostalgia, but I can't see myself playing for long. Now a Diablo 2 remake without cheese WOW graphics? All in.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope not free, people left WoW in droves because they like the original set up with limited professions, characters when you had to earn all you got. IMO it's more pure then WoW of today

Nothing is ever as good as what we remember. I don't know how WoW exists today, but I put in my time in raids up until the game moved past level 70 (I don't recall the expansion names).

Off the top of my head, some things that sucked:
  • leveling from 30-40 to get mount
  • saving up for said mount
  • spamming city chats to find people to go in dungeons
  • waiting for everyone to get to the dungeon
  • Trying to find someone with the UBRS key and a tank
  • And once you're at 60... getting good enough gear to raid
  • Once you can raid, having it reset only like once per week attempting to get your drops
  • having to find 39 other people that won't make a mistake in raid
  • being that person who makes a mistake in a raid
  • Loot ninjas
  • Farming for herbs to make potions that you lose when you die
  • getting camped on pvp servers when trying to farm up for a raid (I'm sure this one is still a problem)
  • Getting camped while waiting outside of a raid instance while on standby

I saw good changes as the expansions came. But I haven't played this game in a very long time.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is ever as good as what we remember. I don't know how WoW exists today, but I put in my time in raids up until the game moved past level 70 (I don't recall the expansion names).

Off the top of my head, some things that sucked:
  • leveling from 30-40 to get mount
  • saving up for said mount
  • spamming city chats to find people to go in dungeons
  • waiting for everyone to get to the dungeon
  • Trying to find someone with the UBRS key and a tank
  • And once you're at 60... getting good enough gear to raid
  • Once you can raid, having it reset only like once per week attempting to get your drops
  • having to find 39 other people that won't make a mistake in raid
  • being that person who makes a mistake in a raid
  • Loot ninjas
  • Farming for herbs to make potions that you lose when you die
  • getting camped on pvp servers when trying to farm up for a raid (I'm sure this one is still a problem)
  • Getting camped while waiting outside of a raid instance while on standby

I saw good changes as the expansions came. But I haven't played this game in a very long time.
Some of your things that you say sucked and WoW changed is what ruined the game. Most of what I read was you loathed having to work to get good, and hated having to assemble a successful group among other things. The changes made to accommodate people so life would be easier are what ruined the game. There are a lot of people that like the grind of having to actually build a quality character. But to each their own.

Blizz is stress testing the servers for the next 48 hours if anyone is interested. If you have a current WoW account it cost you no more at this point. I think there is a one time charge for the WoW Classic which I think is going to attract a lot of people.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mehh for me I'll give it whirl.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hopped onto the EQ1 Mangler progression server. The nostalgia factor hasn't worn off in the 3+ months since launch.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked up the game around Cataclysm IIRC and built up a bunch of characters of the course of 3 or 4 months. Then the Pandaria expansion came out and I basically hard quit WoW and never looked back. They took a complex and intricate leveling system and dumbed it down. It stunk for the same reasons that Destiny 2 stinks but at the same time you still need to release new content.

Easy pass on something like this for me unless they expand on it in a different direction.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of your things that you say sucked and WoW changed is what ruined the game. Most of what I read was you loathed having to work to get good, and hated having to assemble a successful group among other things. The changes made to accommodate people so life would be easier are what ruined the game. There are a lot of people that like the grind of having to actually build a quality character. But to each their own.

Blizz is stress testing the servers for the next 48 hours if anyone is interested. If you have a current WoW account it cost you no more at this point. I think there is a one time charge for the WoW Classic which I think is going to attract a lot of people.
Getting good vs getting good loot are two different things. Dungeons used to be very difficult, especially with bad gear. It was a lot of fun if you had some friends in there with you. Learning how bosses work together, and how to beat them was a great time. And then getting loot of course.

What I didn’t like was trying to assemble a group of strangers, with no system other than chat, having to gear check each other, ask about experience, and then the group fails anyway and/or someone ninja’s the reward. It’s a big waste of time.

And the herb needed for the fire resistant potion to clear MC was only in like 2 zones. Everyone farmed for it at the same time. Had to memorize where it grew and ride around trying to find it before someone else picked it. I recall it took something like 3 herbs and a fish. Something weird like that. That’s per person, per attempt. Very time consuming. And considering I never got that last piece for my Rogue from MC (and I was always ‘next’) I couldn’t miss a raid. I think I killed that last boss a good 50+ times, and so many more failed attempts with my group. Just terrible drop rate. So no… I didn’t enjoy “winning” just to gear up everyone else.

Setting loot parameters to classes, and rolling for loot were good changes

Quicker group assembly, with role selection, was a good change.

Flasks not being lost when dying was a good change.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hopped onto the EQ1 Mangler progression server. The nostalgia factor hasn't worn off in the 3+ months since launch.
I never played EQ. I assume zone loading is fast now?