• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you give up a full ride to the likes of Harvard, Yale and Columbia

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had offers at Drake, Columbia, Georgetown and San Diego. not san diego state mind you.
so all like FCS.
so no real opportunity to play FBS level unless he walked on. not even group of 5
wait sorry i read one of the other walkons profile. not the one from the original post

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
original post kid is dumb should have gone to Nevada.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a good move to go to UW. Likely the only school in the country where you have a real chance at going 0-4 against Oregon (0-5 if you redshirt!)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some guys got different priorities. A walk on football player at a P5 gets more tail in his 4 years there than 99% of full academic ride Ivy League guys get in their whole life.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I would be playing Ivy League.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my 40 years as a teacher/principal/superintendent, I've had kids attend Ivy League Schools, Academies, MIT and the Stanford/Rice type schools. (More to Notre Dame but that was because of the Catholic connection.) I spent a lot of time talking with them about their preparation at our high school, the rigor of the university, being prepared for leaving home, etc. Feedback I got from them was that "overall" the best were the Academies...but only IF a kid can handle the military regiment/physical requirements/committment. Second was MIT, Stanford, Rice type schools. The Ivy League schools are prestigous and it opened doors after graduation for sure. But the ex students feedback was that the percentage of legacy admitted students at many of the Ivy League schools drops the quality considerably. In fact, some of them claimed a lot of Ivy League students really weren't as swift as some of their old high school classmates were. I heard none of that from kids that attended the academies, Stanford, Rice, MIT, etc.
My daughter got appointments to the Naval, Air Force and Coast Guard Academies (she chose Coast Guard) so I’ve been to them all and met the cadets/midshipmen and they are unbelievably impressive. Blows my mind at the quality of kids that go there.

The military side can be extremely hard as it isn’t regular college and free time is non-existent but definitely worth the sacrifice.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just so that you could play football for this school as a walk-on.

Local three-star athlete, Javon Forward, set to walk on at UW

uwacademics.jpg

I've never seen Washington listed in the top 20 universities. Usually, it hangs around Florida State on the list.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-washington-3798

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter got appointments to the Naval, Air Force and Coast Guard Academies (she chose Coast Guard) so I’ve been to them all and met the cadets/midshipmen and they are unbelievably impressive. Blows my mind at the quality of kids that go there.

The military side can be extremely hard as it isn’t regular college and free time is non-existent but definitely worth the sacrifice.
They are impressive. The academies want the entire package. They may not get it 100% correct but they are close. We had several kids that wanted to go to the academies and had the academic background and could have handled the military portion with one exception. No way they were even close to being able to handle the physical aspect. The academies want intelligence, academic prep, physical fitness, leadership and team players. A lot of other academic institutions are only interested in the first two.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I posted the one that is the standard for ranking universities and colleges.

They still have Washington in the top 25. As soon as I saw the #2 and #3 ranking on your post, I knew it was BS, as it is the same 2 or 3 schools each year. It is always some order of UCLA, Cal Berkeley and UM for public universities.

UW is still a great school, but that recruiting tool they use should have asterisks next to those ‘rankings’.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would stay at an Ivy League school. If you're really good, no reason you can't be drafted by the NFL. Otherwise an Ivy League school education can be worth a lot of money.