• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you give up a full ride to the likes of Harvard, Yale and Columbia

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just so that you could play football for this school as a walk-on.

Local three-star athlete, Javon Forward, set to walk on at UW

uwacademics.jpg

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW is a really hood school but that kid is a dipshit

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW is the leading university for the LGBT community. Maybe the kid wants to be with others like him. :noidea:

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf is he thinking though. I mean an Ivy league degree has to be worth some bucks as long as it isn't a bs liberal degree.

Ivy League speed.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid is obviously book smart but I question his common sense.

It depends on his major, likes and goals. He might just find Harvard and Yale unpalpable, dislike New England culture or just believe that going to a P5 program gives him a more realistic shot at the NFL.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf is he thinking though. I mean an Ivy league degree has to be worth some bucks as long as it isn't a bs liberal degree.
In my 40 years as a teacher/principal/superintendent, I've had kids attend Ivy League Schools, Academies, MIT and the Stanford/Rice type schools. (More to Notre Dame but that was because of the Catholic connection.) I spent a lot of time talking with them about their preparation at our high school, the rigor of the university, being prepared for leaving home, etc. Feedback I got from them was that "overall" the best were the Academies...but only IF a kid can handle the military regiment/physical requirements/committment. Second was MIT, Stanford, Rice type schools. The Ivy League schools are prestigous and it opened doors after graduation for sure. But the ex students feedback was that the percentage of legacy admitted students at many of the Ivy League schools drops the quality considerably. In fact, some of them claimed a lot of Ivy League students really weren't as swift as some of their old high school classmates were. I heard none of that from kids that attended the academies, Stanford, Rice, MIT, etc.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you can’t get athletic scholarships to any Ivy league school. So I’m not sure if he actually had scholarships to Yale, Harvard, or Columbia.

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've known plenty of book smart people who sucked at their job. Obviously having a degree from an Ivy League school looks great but (at least with the way football is a religion in the south), you can get a job making 6 figures easier than you'd think by saying you played football for the state school. If he wants to stay in Washington after college he'd be able to make a lot more local connections at UW.

Just depends what his plans are. People make fun of Arkansas for Walmart but the Walmart CEO made $24 million last year and he worked his way up to the job by getting in with them early with the relationships he made through the UA business school.