• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would The Next Punt Returner Please Stand Up

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season, the Broncos returned a paltry 30 punts .. Twelve were returned by River Cracraft with a 3.3 yd average ... Ten punts were returned by Pac Man, who had a 2.5 yd average ..

Between Cracraft and Jones, they returned 22 punts with a 2.9 yard average ..

Perhaps "returned" should be changed to "caught" ... I think Vance and McMahon were a bit over-conservative, and fearing a turnover, put these two back there because of their catching abilities and not return abilities ...

DaeSean Hamilton ( 3 ), Phillip Lindsay ( 3 ), and Isiah MacKenzie ( 2 ) fielded the remaining eight punts ..

A punt returner in college, Brendan Langley was not used last year on punt returns

This, coupled with the anemic 3 and out offense we fielded in 2018, was a recipe for disaster as opposing teams were constantly starting drives in great field position and putting our D in demoralizing spots ..

Who will return punts for the Broncos in 2019 ??

The first name I look at is FA Kelvin McKnight .. McKnight had 100 receptions as a senior and 25 punt returns .. He's listed at 5'8" 186, but in watching him, he plays bigger and looks like he belongs on an NFL field .. I think McKnight has a shot to replace Cracraft and make the 53 if he can excel as a returner ..

DaeSean Hamilton and Juwann Winfree are also options

Does Brendan Langley stick as he returns to WR ( a spot he played in college ) and PR ??

I hope that with this new season, we finally find a return guy who can be put out there every time and be relied on not simply to avoid disaster, but to be a weapon ..

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Sanders will do it. He can take one to the house and front flip into the end zone and injure his Achilles again.

On a serious note, I really thought E front flipping into the end zone was harsh on the lower body. Unnecessary abuse. There has to be a better way to celebrate a score.

Last edited:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alton Montgomery for KR
Glynn Milburn for PR.

I could see Hamilton as our PR.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alton Montgomery for KR
Glynn Milburn for PR.

I could see Hamilton as our PR.

I've probably told this about 100 times ( but maybe not since KFFL ), but the family went to the Broncos - Jets game opening day 1993, Glyn Milburn put two moves on the Jets' D that, even though it was the Jets' crowd, the gasp and "ooooh" that went thru the place is something I still vividly remember ..

ok, edit

I cannot believe that I found the highlights ... and the Milburn play

Starts @ :47

Interesting that Pete Carroll was the Jets' D coordinator ... and damn, #7 in the old school helmet .. I guess there's something to be said for being old

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That video makes me miss my childhood.

Remember when Milburn broke the all purpose yards in a game?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who is going to return kicks and punts, but I am happy that these Broncos seem to have intelligently staffed up the opportunity. There will be 5 or 6 guys competing and they all add something to the mix on offense or defense at the same time.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That video makes me miss my childhood.

Remember when Milburn broke the all purpose yards in a game?

Yes, I vividly remember that game .. The Broncos were ahead big vs the Hawks, and we ended up losing .. I'm pretty sure it was Mike Pritchard who fumbled when Elway was trying to drive us in the final minutes

Milburn had a huge game

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I vividly remember that game .. The Broncos were ahead big vs the Hawks, and we ended up losing .. I'm pretty sure it was Mike Pritchard who fumbled when Elway was trying to drive us in the final minutes

Milburn had a huge game

That fumble made my next day at school miserable. Thought about it all day. We had that game!!!

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fumble made my next day at school miserable. Thought about it all day. We had that game!!!

A girl I was dating at the time could not understand what the big deal was as to why I took that loss so hard ..

DC, you remember a lot of this stuff, so I'm sure you associate Bronco moments with stuff that happens in life ... I'm sure all fanatics do, to some degree, but for some reason, the Bronco stuff gets ingrained in my memory ..

I remember the Milburn game being a bad loss, but I think the time that we lost to the Saints in 1988 42-0 was one of the worst ... My friend Art ( who is not an NFL fan ) called me later that night not having a clue as to why I was so quiet on the phone ( lol ) .. I'm sure it sounded ridiculous to a non-sports fanatic, but hey, you take the bad with the good ..

Another regular season loss that sticks out was the game vs the Dolphins in 2002 .. Elam put us ahead with a super long FG with like half a minute left, and Jay ******* Fielder drives the Dolphins downfield -- complete with a pass that splits John Mobley's outstretched arms, just like Olindo Mare's game winner did with no time left ..

Last year when Keenum missed DT in the final seconds was bad too

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SpiritOf77 I was at the Mare FG game. That was the same game Kenoy knocked Chambers out. I had to drive 13 hours home after that loss.

The DT miss will always haunt me last year against the team I always want to beat the most.

On a good note I remember the night of my grandma’s funeral we had the huge comeback on MNF vs the Chargers. The game where Tony Carter scoop and scored the game winner.

One Sour sports memory that always gives me a bad feeling when I remember it was the day I graduated high school. The Lakers and blazers were playing games seven. Of the playoffs. Lakers had been down 3-1 in series and had comeback. I remember I had a bunch of people over for my graduation party so I couldn’t watch the entire game. I would go between the garage and the living room to check the score and visit with people. Portland was up most of the game by quite a bit. Went out for a while and came back in and suddenly they were about to lose the game. I always told myself at the moment I will always remember this happening on my graduation day. Ironically, I remember I had a bunch of people over for my graduation party so I couldn’t watch the entire game. I would go between the garage and the living room to check the score and visit with people. Portland was up most of the game by quite a bit. Went out for a while and came back in and suddenly they were about to lose the game. I always told myself at the moment I will always remember this happening on my graduation day.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And speaking of punts

These are absolutely beautiful ..

( a Saturday night and I'm home watching 11 minutes of punts downed inside the 5 )

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is kind of surprising they kept McMahan for Special Teams coach. On that team, the Broncos had death by miles with a public viewing.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Special Teams coach is traditionally the bottom feeder on the coaches org chart - so he may have been a victim of VJ's decisions - garbage in - garbage out.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McMahon came in with a good reputation as a good special teams coordinator. Past reputation maybe carried more weight then last year.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Winfree as a return guy. He seems to have the body control, the vision, the acceleration, and the speed. If he has the hands, I think he can do some damage. I'd like to see him do well on Special Teams and I think he can play well enough to keep him as a WR anyway.