• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wood, Puig, Kemp traded to Reds

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think unloading Matt Kemp for a player to be named later to any team that would take him would be the smart move. That would equate to the Dodgers taking Homer and his baggage and giving the Reds Puig and Wood for free. Kemp's $20M+ could be better spent elsewhere. It's not to say Kemp is a bad player, it's the fact that he makes more money than the rest of the Reds OF's combined and then some.

Kemp, Puig, Ervin, Winker, and Schebler currently in the mix. None of them play anywhere other than the OF. Unlikely they all are on the OD roster.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet on Kemp hitting 25+ HR if he gets in 100 G at GABP, but he's a defensive liability and at the end of his career. Puig is an obvious roider that has the mental capacity cantelope-could be an All-Star or a psych ward detainee. Wood is a stiff arm lefty that could get cooked in GABP...talk about Sonny Gray keeps me pondering another soft tosser doing no favors with Wood, DesClafani in the same rotation-might aid opposing hitters lack of timing with Castillo and maybe Roark, but those names in a small park with a porous D and bad bullpen, makes me think the Reds may have to score 7 to be in the game.

Oddly, the player additions so far look more like a contending team looking for a short term boost, instead of building a team 3 years from winning 90+ games. I'd like to believe someone in the Reds front office has an epiphany, but I think it's either unrealistic expectations or simply a way to sell more tickets. I think if healthy, the moves so far get the Reds out of the cellar in the NLC, but I have a tough time seeing them 25 wins better than last years team. The Cubs don't have to improve to make playoffs, and the Brewers and Cardinals can play for wildcard at status quo. The Reds haven't addressed a bullpen that can't contend yet.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I AM glad the Reds aren't in the financial shape to pursue either Harper or Machado though- I think which ever teams "win" those two, loses.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have addressed one of their problems by swapping out Hamilton's senile bat for anybody else. How that works is yet to be seen but I'd assume there is a leadoff guy in the works, maybe Winker if he beats out Kemp.

I don't see any way they don't flip Puig by the break, and maybe sooner. The pitchers they have aren't good enough to add 10 wins, yeah ... that's true, but removing Stephenson, Stephens, Steverino and Homer may make a difference.

I think they can be better this year with another decent pitcher. If that is Sonny Gray, I am not convinced. He's Homer Bailey without the rep yet.

If they don't try to sign Wood, there's another trade worth making.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy into conspiracy much other than to believe that the MLB teams negotiated deals long before the childish scribes created their nonsensical rumors.

The Dodgers signing Pollock is so easy to identify as a planned event. They still have 6 or 7 guys for their outfield AFTER they dealt Puig and Kemp.

Seems to me they knew they had Pollock in the bag long ago. I guess it doesn't matter but it's kind of a sophomoric humor observing these scribes and their "who's the best fit" for such-and-such team ....

That being the case, nobody in Redsland is leaking anything so I'd guess their last transaction is Keuchel.