• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wk 4 vs CIN...MNF

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably been a long time since PIT (0-3) has squared off against CIN (0-3) and both teams are seeking their first win of the season. ESPN I'm sure was expecting Ben Roethlisberger vs Andy Dalton and that Bengal DEF. Instead they get game 2 of the Mason Rudolph era and no AJ Green for CIN.

IMO stats don't mean a whole lot until about 6 to 8 games into the season, but both of these teams rank low on OFC and DEF as you would expect for zero wins between them.

Is there a trend? The Bengals arguably played their best game of the season on the road in SEA. PIT clearly played their worst game of the season in week one @ NE.

Injuries

Vance McDonald (shoulder) is listed as out, and I've seen other reports indicating it's not terribly serious so maybe it's a week to week issue. Vince Williams (hammy) is questionable as of Wed. Anthony Chickillo (foot) questionable.

These teams know each other well obviously, but the Bengals come into this one with a new HC, Zac Taylor. This will be his 1st game in the division rivalry. The Bengals also come into this game without their WR1, AJ Green, but Tyler Boyd has developed into a solid WR. John Ross has speed to burn and Tyler Eifert is one of the better pass catching TEs in the league...just hasn't been able to stay on the field. Joe Mixon is arguably the most talented RB in the DIV. Plenty of talent still in CIN on OFC and DEF.

Outlook

The Steelers have won the last 5 outings, nearly all were one possession games. This one will be with starting QB Big Ben. Both teams have been iffy on run defense the last two weeks...the team that runs it the best will likely win it.

Vegas is favoring PIT (opened at -4.5, now -4) to get off the goose egg this week. I can see this being a FG game either way...so I would not be comfortable laying 4, but I will go with the home team to win this week.

24-21 Steelers

What say you?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The race to see who sucks more. Cinci wins by losing.

Steelers 16 Bengirls 9

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember...PIT losing doesn't even help PIT so just go win a game!!
Hahaha.

Part of me, I still wouldn't be shocked if they turned this season around somewhat. I don't know what's realistic but maybe 8-9 wins if that defense continues to develop and Rudy hits his stride. But then I think about Tomlin. And Feeeetner. And Bumler. And I just can't see that clown show getting out of their way.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha.

Part of me, I still wouldn't be shocked if they turned this season around somewhat. I don't know what's realistic but maybe 8-9 wins if that defense continues to develop and Rudy hits his stride. But then I think about Tomlin. And Feeeetner. And Bumler. And I just can't see that clown show getting out of their way.

Yeah, I'm somewhere in that same line of thinking as well in terms of the season.

Mason didn't play well in his 1st game, but he didn't get great support around him either (both OTs gave up multiple pressures/sacks), among drops and some iffy playcalls as well...I expect him to play better this week and as the season goes along.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm somewhere in that same line of thinking as well in terms of the season.

Mason didn't play well in his 1st game, but he didn't get great support around him either (both OTs gave up multiple pressures/sacks), among drops and some iffy play calls as well...I expect him to play better this week and as the season goes along.
Right. I watched him play a full game and still feel like I know nothing because he wasn't given a real chance. The supporting cast and play-calling were atrocious.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. I watched him play a full game and still feel like I know nothing because he wasn't given a real chance. The supporting cast and play-calling were atrocious.

I've watched the game several times now (glutton for punishment I know)...I would share the blame pretty evenly...Rudolph, supporting cast, playcalling...maybe 33% to each.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if there was ever going to be a "bounce back" week then this is it. If the Steelers want to salvage this season then this is a must win.

Still don't have any confidence in the coaches. That said, I think last week was embarrassing for Fichtner and I fully expect him to open things up more this week. That should help the run game get going. Hopefully. But we should get a much better look at Rudolph. I just pray that Fichtner gets more rub routes & crossers going, or else the passing game will sputter on iso-routes & bubble screens (which are what I'm expecting to see again lol). Rudolph needs to get further into his progressions and not be so frantic. As ATL noted in the SF game thread he was missing wide open dump passes. Getting those safeties & LBs to respect those passes will go a long ways towards opening up the middle of the field for the passing game.

Expecting a very pissed off group of individuals this week. Doesn't mean the coaches will put them in position to dominate. Hopefully talent prevails.

Steelers 20 - Bengals 10

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if there was ever going to be a "bounce back" week then this is it. If the Steelers want to salvage this season then this is a must win.

Rudolph needs to get further into his progressions and not be so frantic. As ATL noted in the SF game thread he was missing wide open dump passes. Getting those safeties & LBs to respect those passes will go a long ways towards opening up the middle of the field for the passing game.

Expecting a very pissed off group of individuals this week. Doesn't mean the coaches will put them in position to dominate. Hopefully talent prevails.

Steelers 20 - Bengals 10

So well stated!

Rudolph was just amped up...example, a simple two man WR screen to his left, Juju and VMac. The timing was terrible, Mason never allowed the pass rush to be sucked in, nor did he give VMac enough time to get in position to make the critical block (it was a 2 on 2 situation)...the play was blown up for a small gain or actually a 2 yd loss iirc...amped up.

Not that I have any playoff expectations for this team, but if the season is going to have ANY meaning football games in NOV & DEC even, they need to win Mon night.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hear the right things from the Cincy locker room.... Players seem to enjoy playing for Zac Taylor. I think all the Marvin years started to get stale. Things were never right after the 2015 playoff meltdown against the Steelers and no amount of Marvin t-shirt logos were going to help get things back together. Taylor took a lot from McVay - He doesn't demand that they kill themselves in practice, they're much more innovative in their approach to gameplans, better player gets to start no matter where they were drafted or how long they've been on the roster, etc. No more 'Marvin' guys. Players seem to like it. All that said, the roster isn't great and you are what your record says you are....Right now the Bengals are winless. It will be interesting to see how this plays out across the season. Good will with your players only lasts so long - Sooner or later you need to show them that the work will pay off.

All this is to say that I think you'll see the Bengals put forth an inspired effort. There should be no quit in them.... If Pittsburgh is feeling sorry for their current situation, they'll get beat. If Pittsburgh rallies around the roster talent that they have, I think they should win this game. Given the young qb, I'll call it close. Pittsburgh 23, Bengals 16

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe this is where we turn the ship around a bit. We haven't lost to the Bengals since 2015 and are 16-3 since 2010. Might also mean that we are due for a loss against them. Who knows with this team, honestly. I do believe we win this game, but I just want to have a near-flawless game and I want to see some improvements on both sides of the ball, ESPECIALLY from our offense.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hear the right things from the Cincy locker room.... Players seem to enjoy playing for Zac Taylor. I think all the Marvin years started to get stale. Things were never right after the 2015 playoff meltdown against the Steelers and no amount of Marvin t-shirt logos were going to help get things back together. Taylor took a lot from McVay - He doesn't demand that they kill themselves in practice, they're much more innovative in their approach to gameplans, better player gets to start no matter where they were drafted or how long they've been on the roster, etc. No more 'Marvin' guys. Players seem to like it. All that said, the roster isn't great and you are what your record says you are....Right now the Bengals are winless. It will be interesting to see how this plays out across the season. Good will with your players only lasts so long - Sooner or later you need to show them that the work will pay off.

All this is to say that I think you'll see the Bengals put forth an inspired effort. There should be no quit in them.... If Pittsburgh is feeling sorry for their current situation, they'll get beat. If Pittsburgh rallies around the roster talent that they have, I think they should win this game. Given the young qb, I'll call it close. Pittsburgh 23, Bengals 16

Being a DIV game this early in the season...in spite of the bad start, both teams should be fired up to go. PIT staff and FO clearly are not throwing in the towel on the season, and CIN getting used to a new culture I'm sure are anxious to deliver the 1st win for coach Taylor.

Some match up changes from past seasons...Dunlap vs Gilbert is now Dunlap vs Feiler...Feiler had a rough week last game something to watch there. AVill gets Hubbard I assume. Interesting that CIN has won the ground game twice in the last 5 games and lost each time.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been several games the last few seasons where Cincinnati has had the Steelers on the ropes (or at least behind at a critical juncture of the game) and Ben has calmly led them back to victory. This is the one area where the Steelers are clearly different without Ben - I think they'll play much better with a lead. The first half will be key in this game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been several games the last few seasons where Cincinnati has had the Steelers on the ropes (or at least behind at a critical juncture of the game) and Ben has calmly led them back to victory. This is the one area where the Steelers are clearly different without Ben - I think they'll play much better with a lead. The first half will be key in this game.

Yep...it will be interesting to see just how chippy this game is compared to the Lewis era...I've always felt Lewis quietly embraced the chippy play under the guise of it being a DIV game....lol

Some of that is true about DIV opponent, but with Burfict gone, I'm curious to see if they can play a good hard clean game.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...it will be interesting to see just how chippy this game is compared to the Lewis era...I've always felt Lewis quietly embraced the chippy play under the guise of it being a DIV game....lol

Some of that is true about DIV opponent, but with Burfict gone, I'm curious to see if they can play a good hard clean game.

I wonder about this as well....Before it was Burfict, it was TJ Houshmanzadah and then guys like PacMan Jones. There have always been Bengals with chips on their shoulders. But, the current roster doesn't seem to have many of those guys. And now that Lewis is gone, there is less baggage arriving with the Bengals when they arrive on Monday Night. I think it will have a much different feel.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder about this as well....Before it was Burfict, it was TJ Houshmanzadah and then guys like PacMan Jones. There have always been Bengals with chips on their shoulders. But, the current roster doesn't seem to have many of those guys. And now that Lewis is gone, there is less baggage arriving with the Bengals when they arrive on Monday Night. I think it will have a much different feel.

That will be a different feel.

Steelers have heated games with both BAL and CLE, but nothing like the chippy play when CIN and PIT play.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers have one of the absolute weakest schedules going forward.

After facing three teams who are now a combined 8-1, this is cake.

AND they have all 6 division games in front of them.

It's 'Operation: Fuck your draft, Miami'.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers have one of the absolute weakest schedules going forward.

After facing three teams who are now a combined 8-1, this is cake.

AND they have all 6 division games in front of them.

It's 'Operation: Fuck your draft, Miami'.

Pretty much...after the bye they come back to MIA, IND and LAR...all at home.

If they can get this one this week, they get BAL at home, that will be a tough game then, back out west to the Chargers

3-3 would be ideal going into the bye, but 2-4 could be their plight....IF they can beat CIN and BAL. If by week 10, these guys are hovering at or near .500...maybe they will get to 8 or 9 wins.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much...after the bye they come back to MIA, IND and LAR...all at home.

If they can get this one this week, they get BAL at home, that will be a tough game then, back out west to the Chargers

3-3 would be ideal going into the bye, but 2-4 could be their plight....IF they can beat CIN and BAL. If by week 10, these guys are hovering at or near .500...maybe they will get to 8 or 9 wins.
If they go to the bye at 3-3, that's absolutely divisional contention territory.

Consider it a fresh season when they come back. The record, is the record.

I'm not drinking any season is still alive kool-aid. But the season isn't dead yet.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they go to the bye at 3-3, that's absolutely divisional contention territory.

Consider it a fresh season when they come back. The record, is the record.

I'm not drinking any season is still alive kool-aid. But the season isn't dead yet.

Oh...I'm drinking plenty! Tequila and cold beer!

Oh...you meant season still alive...ah...yeah at this point we just have to see if they can get out of this hole...like you say, 3-3 going into the bye would definitely put them back in the DIV race.