• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the 21st Pick in the 2015 NFL Draft...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Bengals select: DT Jordan Phillips, Oklahoma

From Bengals.com - With the 21st pick...

The edge rushers and offensive tackles are pretty well picked over.

Washington cornerback Marcus Peters has more baggage than Delta.

They just missed on Landon Collins, a guy that makes sense because they love ‘Bama players in the first round (two since ’09), he hits, and both starting safeties are in their contact years.

You can get receivers and linebackers all day long in a draft about a round behind, where you get third rounders in the second and fourth-rounders in the third.

The Michael Johnson re-signing means no panic for a defensive end.

And, the 6-6, 334-pound Phillips has some drawbacks. He’s coming out early after just starting one full season and back surgery cut short his 2013 season.

But at this point in the draft, Phillips’ size and athleticism is indeed rare. He is, very simply, a large man who knocks people off the ball and, by all accounts, has terrific agility for a guy his size. He has been compared to the Chiefs’ Dontari Poe, one of the league’s more disruptive interior players.

Phillips is an AFC North guy. Bengals nose tackle Domata Peko is going nowhere for the next few years, but he does turn 31 in November and they’ve been trying to get bigger and heavier against the run, hence the Pat Sims signing.

In this division, anytime you get out of the first round with a lineman on either side of the ball, it’s always the safe way to go. The key to the Bengals’ draft success this decade has been staying true to the grades and this is about where Phillip falls on the big boards.

Gregory certainly dropped closer to them than they ever would have thought, but while the Bengals figure to check him out and maybe even bring him in for a visit, it’s doubtful they would pull the trigger on him. Besides the character issues, there is the debate over what Gregory can play in this system. It’s highly unlikely they’d take a linebacker this high.

1. TAMPA BAY: QB Jameis Winston, Florida State
2. TENNESSEE: DT Leonard Williams, USC
3. JACKSONVILLE: DE/OLB Dante Fowler, Florida
4. OAKLAND: WR Amari Cooper, Alabama
5. WASHINGTON: DE/OLB : DE Shane Ray, Missouri
6. JETS: QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon
7. CHICAGO: DE/OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson
8. ATLANTA: WR Kevin White, West Virginia
9. GIANTS: OL Brandon Scherff, Iowa
10. ST. LOUIS: OL La’el Collins
11. MINNESOTA: CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State
12. CLEVELAND: DT Danny Shelton, Washington
13. NEW ORLEANS: WR DeVante Parker, Louisville
14. MIAMI: RB Todd Gurley, Georgia
15. SAN FRANCISCO: WR Dorial Green-Beckham, Oklahoma
16. HOUSTON: OLB Bud Dupree, Kentucky
17. SAN DIEGO: OLB/DE Randy Gregory, Nebraska
18. KANSAS CITY: OT Ereck Flowers, Miami
19. CLEVELAND: OL Cameron Erving, Florida State
20. PHILADELPHIA: SS Landon Collins, Alabama

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is terrible. You're a moron, but I'll give you a rainbow for your effort...LOL

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit off topic, but if Oakland wants a WR they should trade down. amari cooper is good, but there is a lot of WR talent in this years draft. I'd be pretty furious if my team used a top 5 pick on him.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit off topic, but if Oakland wants a WR they should trade down. amari cooper is good, but there is a lot of WR talent in this years draft. I'd be pretty furious if my team used a top 5 pick on him.
True, but this is the same team that drafted DHB at WR a few years ago. They just pin a bunch of players at a position of need, and then throw a dart blind folded. That's how they draft, apparently.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, based on Oakland's past track record, Cooper may not be worth a top 5 pick, but he is a safe pick I think. So better to be safe than sorry like the Raiders have been over the last several years. Trading back is a smart move also, but if you are going to lose your guy, then take him where you are as long as he is a safe pick like Cooper is.