• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the 11th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins Select

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11th pick it is.

Lets make the best of it

AS ALWAYS

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB or O Line

I think you are in the minority in wanting a QB. It doesnt even make sense -- unless its in the mid-to-late rounds where we can find a developmental QB to push Tannehill, next seasons unquestioned starter when healthy -- And push guys like David Fales and Brandon Doughty for the backup position now that hopefully washed up Matt Moore is hopefully gone.

Now, this isnt directed at you necessarily, nor am I saying the idea is not a bad one - just a simple question:

Year and year out this fan base calls for OL to be drafted, then when the team does it and the player doesnt perform as expected, be it due to injuries or just bad performance - people have a cow.

Instead the focus in the early rounds should be other positions of need or even for the purposes of adding depth - then focus on OL in the mid-to-late rounds.

Of course, Free Agency will determine a lot before the draft - so lets see how the team does in that aspect first

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the right QB is there at #11 why not? THill is a good QB but is he elite? If there is a potentially elite QB at #11 then that makes sense to me. If THill has the best year of his career this upcoming season, is it so bad for a QB to develop for a year or two as a backup? The best teams have the best QBs. If you don't have an elite QB then you have to have an elite defense to beat a playoff contender. The Fins don't have either at this time.

This is a good draft for QBs. I think there could be a solid pick in the second if the Fins don't think they have a potential star in the first round at the position.

RE the Oline: I would add one in the 2nd or 3rd round. The Fins Oline has played OK in some of the games in the second half of the year but could use some more talent and/or more depth. Also, The Fins need quality coaching on the OLine and less penalties to improve the Oline & offense overall.

The Fins also an upgrade at LB and TE among other positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do
If the right QB is there at #11 why not? THill is a good QB but is he elite? If there is a potentially elite QB at #11 then that makes sense to me. If THill has the best year of his career this upcoming season, is it so bad for a QB to develop for a year or two as a backup? The best teams have the best QBs. If you don't have an elite QB then you have to have an elite defense to beat a playoff contender. The Fins don't have either at this time.

This is a good draft for QBs. I think there could be a solid pick in the second if the Fins don't think they have a potential star in the first round at the position.

RE the Oline: I would add one in the 2nd or 3rd round. The Fins Oline has played OK in some of the games in the second half of the year but could use some more talent and/or more depth. Also, The Fins need quality coaching on the OLine and less penalties to improve the Oline & offense overall.

The Fins also an upgrade at LB and TE among other positions.
Don't forget DE Wake isn't getting any younger and branch didn't take a step forward. I still would rather pick a guy who can cover a TE first though as that is killing them. Oline later but hard to get everything in one draft hopefully FA fills some holes.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are in the minority in wanting a QB. It doesnt even make sense -- unless its in the mid-to-late rounds where we can find a developmental QB to push Tannehill, next seasons unquestioned starter when healthy -- And push guys like David Fales and Brandon Doughty for the backup position now that hopefully washed up Matt Moore is hopefully gone.

Now, this isnt directed at you necessarily, nor am I saying the idea is not a bad one - just a simple question:

Year and year out this fan base calls for OL to be drafted, then when the team does it and the player doesnt perform as expected, be it due to injuries or just bad performance - people have a cow.

Instead the focus in the early rounds should be other positions of need or even for the purposes of adding depth - then focus on OL in the mid-to-late rounds.

Of course, Free Agency will determine a lot before the draft - so lets see how the team does in that aspect first

Yes, need to see what FA brings. But I still think a QB should be high on list. Tannehill is no franchise QB and can be considered damaged goods. Cutler is not a back up, and quite frankly I hope he goes away, he really is bad. Moore or Fales are not the answer. Good teams need to quality 2nd QB. Maybe OL in first and QB in second?

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, need to see what FA brings. But I still think a QB should be high on list. Tannehill is no franchise QB and can be considered damaged goods. Cutler is not a back up, and quite frankly I hope he goes away, he really is bad. Moore or Fales are not the answer. Good teams need to quality 2nd QB. Maybe OL in first and QB in second?

I think there is too much of an obsession with the whole "Franchise QB" narrative. Its great to have one, but it shouldnt be a franchise killer to have one. I think this is the reason why Gase continues to show faith in Tannehill despite his past subpar performances and injury history.

He understand that while Tannehill may not be a "franchise QB" he is still good enough to carry a team/franchise.

As for Matt Moore - He is a waste

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two best QBs in the AFC are on teams that have bye weeks. They have a lot of other things going for them but it starts with the QB.

As I watched OU play Georgia, I was thinking the Bulldogs have one of the best LBs in the country and he was practically a non factor for the first half of the game. He made some plays in the second half but his team gave up 48 points. The reason is that QBs effect games a lot more than one player on a defense. (also Smith missed tackles including a missed tackle with Mayfield) Coaches can game plan against a defensive player whereas a QB touches the ball every possession for the offense.

I think THill will have a good year and I am rooting for him. I wear a Tannehill jersey at the games but I want whatever is best for the team. If Tannehill plays so well that a backup QB never plays & the Fins win that's fine with me. It worked that way with Brady & J Garoppolo. However, there is a chance that THill could get outplayed by another QB & that could be better for the team.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen a few mock drafts where there is a run on QBs before pick #11. If that happens it could be best for the team to trade back a few spots for extra picks. TE Mark Andrews could be a player to consider in that scenario. The Fins have a big need at TE. The Fins could also get an impact Olineman by trading down.

The 2nd round pick is a high pick so there could still be a solid backup/potential starter QB available with that pick.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few players that I wouldn't let pass at #11. Mayfield, TE M Andrews

Josh Allen could also be a solid pick at #11. Especially since he would have some time to develop behind Tannehill.

If these guys are gone at #11, I'd probably try to trade down to add an extra pick or two.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize that D Payne of Bama is entering this draft. He is a player that could be a difference maker at #11. The Bulldogs have two of the best RBs in the country & they seldom even tried to run towards him. He also gets pressure on the QB. If you line him up next to Suh & have the other guys Phillips & Godchaux subbing in that could be one of the best Dlines in the NFL.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize that D Payne of Bama is entering this draft. He is a player that could be a difference maker at #11. The Bulldogs have two of the best RBs in the country & they seldom even tried to run towards him. He also gets pressure on the QB. If you line him up next to Suh & have the other guys Phillips & Godchaux subbing in that could be one of the best Dlines in the NFL.
No way they take a DT I can see DE though as Wakes getting up there and Branch didn't impress. I'd rather a LB that can rush or cover. QB later on as well as OG and TE.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right about them not taking a DT since Phillips has been improving and Godchaux had a good year at the position. That said, when the defense has underperformed as a group and there is a potential difference maker available Payne could still be considered. Part of the reason the sacks are down is because teams can run on them and I see Payne as a guy like Suh. I am not saying he will be that good but he moves the Oline & he is disruptive.

At DE Arden Key could be a good choice if they decide that they want to prioritize improving the pass rush. The Fins were 26th in sacks and that isn't good enough.

RE the TE position: If there is a special talent at that position and the best QB's are gone, TE could be the best choice. Look at the difference that Gronk makes for Pats and Kelce for the Chiefs.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right about them not taking a DT since Phillips has been improving and Godchaux had a good year at the position. That said, when the defense has underperformed as a group and there is a potential difference maker available Payne could still be considered. Part of the reason the sacks are down is because teams can run on them and I see Payne as a guy like Suh. I am not saying he will be that good but he moves the Oline & he is disruptive.

At DE Arden Key could be a good choice if they decide that they want to prioritize improving the pass rush. The Fins were 26th in sacks and that isn't good enough.

RE the TE position: If there is a special talent at that position and the best QB's are gone, TE could be the best choice. Look at the difference that Gronk makes for Pats and Kelce for the Chiefs.
Totally agree and don't get me wrong we can't be upset if they go BPA but that would be a lot tied up at DT. DE is weaker IMO. LB even worse. OG may not be as bad as we think as Davis and Young stepped up. If the right QB slides you never know either although I'd prefer 2nd round or later. Also need a RB later on but I think Drake is a player. Add a Gronk or Kelce and you are right it would do wonders....

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mayfield is there, should Fins take?

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mayfield is there, should Fins take?

Yes, he has the talent to be a gamechanger. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. I like his passion for the game & his drive to win. I don't know if he makes it to #11 though. Interestingly, he said recently "get me to Miami"

You can justify other choices at #11: OT, TE, pass coverage LB, BPA at other positions but I think nothing impacts a franchise more than a quality QB.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he has the talent to be a gamechanger. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. I like his passion for the game & his drive to win. I don't know if he makes it to #11 though. Interestingly, he said recently "get me to Miami"

You can justify other choices at #11: OT, TE, pass coverage LB, BPA at other positions but I think nothing impacts a franchise more than a quality QB.
If a QB slides that you believe is a game changer then of course you have to take him in the Fins position. Doesn't mean he plays tomorrow but groom him. Although if Tanny comes back strong they can use a player to help make a move next year. They aren't that far off IMO they can make the playoffs with a good draft and players returning from injuries.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins have been spending time with Roquan Smith. He's an undersized LB. I think a better choice at #11 would be one of the top two DTs. Vea and Payne are both big time run stuffers. Stopping the run was a problem last year and could be a worse problem this year with Suh gone. In addition to stopping the run Vea gets pressure on QBs.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins have been spending time with Roquan Smith. He's an undersized LB. I think a better choice at #11 would be one of the top two DTs. Vea and Payne are both big time run stuffers. Stopping the run was a problem last year and could be a worse problem this year with Suh gone. In addition to stopping the run Vea gets pressure on QBs.
They could also trade back and get a few positions. I wouldn't be against that. Maybe sneak in a QB that way...