• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson Signs largest contract in NFL History

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At one point in time not long ago Matthew Stafford was the highest paid player in the league. Remember when Flacco was the highest paid and it was by a pretty high mark? Cam had it at one time. Big ben was tops at one point. Cutler one year had the highest total contract in the league. It really doesn't mean what some of you want it to mean.

Wilson got his turn and it was well earned. No one takes a bigger beating and dedicates himself more. The extra unpaid off season workouts and all of the work he puts in with younger players and new guys.

I think there are some fans that have entirely lost perspective and gotten spoiled. It wasn't long ago that for all of this teams history they were known for nothing more than coming up short. Every damned time. Just like the M's. Now it's spitting in the face of the best player this team has ever even sniffed because he STILL isn't good enough for you. :tsk:

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a seahawks fan since the 70's and I can say without a doubt, the best QB in Seahawks history is the starter currently on the team. Wilson, lime any QB will have chinks in their armor. However, the body of work produced by Wilson in 7 seasons should mute any and all doubts about him.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At one point in time not long ago Matthew Stafford was the highest paid player in the league. Remember when Flacco was the highest paid and it was by a pretty high mark? Cam had it at one time. Big ben was tops at one point. Cutler one year had the highest total contract in the league. It really doesn't mean what some of you want it to mean.

Wilson got his turn and it was well earned. No one takes a bigger beating and dedicates himself more. The extra unpaid off season workouts and all of the work he puts in with younger players and new guys.

I think there are some fans that have entirely lost perspective and gotten spoiled. It wasn't long ago that for all of this teams history they were known for nothing more than coming up short. Every damned time. Just like the M's. Now it's spitting in the face of the best player this team has ever even sniffed because he STILL isn't good enough for you. :tsk:

Well deserved payday. Some people should be reminded of past QB's in our bleak past history up to when RW was drafted.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flacco and Stafford were not top 5 let alone top 10 QBs. Those contracts were ridiculous. Wilson is a top 5 and pending Brees/Ben/Brady retirement, is probably easily top 3. Flacco and Stafford's contracts were laughable. Wilson's isn't. Top 5 QBs that are 30 and coming into their prime for the position are going to get paid high. Zero shock.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, what has RUSSELL WILSON said? He has no control over what other people say.

You think the problem in the Dallas game was Russell Wilson? I'm honestly curious.

you are missing my point when you take as much cap as russell wilson will take he needs to take on the lions share of the workload. I dont think Russell is that great watching him try and carry the team and the offense since marshawn retired its been a mess. and yes the problem in the dallas game was the offense not getting going and that has to be on the shoulders of russell. When the seahawks lose I would like to hear him take responsibility I do think in that dallas game going an entire first half without scoring a touchdown is garbage.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are missing my point when you take as much cap as russell wilson will take he needs to take on the lions share of the workload. I dont think Russell is that great watching him try and carry the team and the offense since marshawn retired its been a mess. and yes the problem in the dallas game was the offense not getting going and that has to be on the shoulders of russell. When the seahawks lose I would like to hear him take responsibility I do think in that dallas game going an entire first half without scoring a touchdown is garbage.

Maybe next year Wilson can tell the coaches to pound sand and ignore their playcalls?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the hate at all. He's one of the top QBs in the game. No one has more 4th quarter come from behind wins, but he has to do more. :L

No QB that has ever played is perfect. Wilson has flaws and has had some bad games. So does every other QB. Period. Name me a QB and I'll find you games just as bad if not worse than any of his.

I really just don't understand some of this at all.

When I think of Wilson in the playoffs I cant think of a single game where wilson was great and won the seahawks the game. I can name plenty of games where the defense bailed him out or a lucky missed field goal from 27 yards away but the point I am trying make is this based on what we have seen in the past and in terms of the seahawks trying to get back to the superbowl. I cant argue with you the great games he had in the regular season but in the playoffs if the defense isnt playing solid or the run game isnt on track the seattle seahawks will lose because we cannot depend on russell to win us the game he isnt that kind of QB to me

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe next year Wilson can tell the coaches to pound sand and ignore their playcalls?

Well if you think about it if russell was that great coaches would design the offense for him to throw the ball every down but since we know that doesnt work they focus on running the ball because wilson isnt that great of QB

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Brady does not make top ten money, he purposely structures his contracts in a manor where his team can afford to have a supporting cast. Only one team with a player in the top ten highest paid players has won the Superbowls in the last 25 years and that was the Giants. Eli Manning was just made the list being ranked tenth in one of their victories. Say what you want, argue your case all you want, but history says it doesn’t happen. You are banking on the exception

Brady has won 6 of the last 18 superbowls? He is skewing your stats big time.

The only non-big name qbs to win it all in that time were flacco, foles, and brad johnson. Go look at the list, its star studded.

Winning with a no namer is more difficult than you seem to think.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant argue with you the great games he had in the regular season but in the playoffs if the defense isnt playing solid or the run game isnt on track the seattle seahawks will lose because we cannot depend on russell to win us the game he isnt that kind of QB to me

You mean other than the TD pass to Kearse against the Niners to take the lead? Or the 370 yard passing game he had against the Falcons to take the lead late? Or how bout the incredible 2nd half against the Panthers?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I think of Wilson in the playoffs I cant think of a single game where wilson was great and won the seahawks the game. I can name plenty of games where the defense bailed him out or a lucky missed field goal from 27 yards away but the point I am trying make is this based on what we have seen in the past and in terms of the seahawks trying to get back to the superbowl. I cant argue with you the great games he had in the regular season but in the playoffs if the defense isnt playing solid or the run game isnt on track the seattle seahawks will lose because we cannot depend on russell to win us the game he isnt that kind of QB to me

Well if you think about it if russell was that great coaches would design the offense for him to throw the ball every down but since we know that doesnt work they focus on running the ball because wilson isnt that great of QB

So anything short of the greatest QB of all times x10 isn't going to be good enough for you.

This team won one SB, went back to a second, and has been in the playoffs in general almost every season he has been here, but he's a total turd right? Wow.

And you haven't watched Pete Carroll at all if that's your take on why they aren't a high flying passing offense.

Ask yourself why he leads the NFL in late game comebacks. Do you think it has anything to do with how he plays late when the running game alone wasn't getting it done and they let him loose? No, that can't be it right?

You are amazingly short sighted and I'm sure no one can change that so enjoy your misery. I guess. :shrug:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean other than the TD pass to Kearse against the Niners to take the lead? Or the 370 yard passing game he had against the Falcons to take the lead late? Or how bout the incredible 2nd half against the Panthers?

NFC title game against GB with the game winning pass in OT.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish some of our fans would just jump ship... I'm tired of reading their crap....

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFC conference game against the 49ers? the game wilson threw for 215 yards and one TD and everyone knows what won that game was richard sherman tipped INT and beast mode runnings for over a 100 yards and a touchdown so no thats not great wilson more like great defense and run game with wilson not turning the ball over.

The lost that game against the falcons and panthers in which you proved my point more than yours if you have to rely on wilson to throw the ball and play catch up we lose the game.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So anything short of the greatest QB of all times x10 isn't going to be good enough for you.

This team won one SB, went back to a second, and has been in the playoffs in general almost every season he has been here, but he's a total turd right? Wow.

And you haven't watched Pete Carroll at all if that's your take on why they aren't a high flying passing offense.

Ask yourself why he leads the NFL in late game comebacks. Do you think it has anything to do with how he plays late when the running game alone wasn't getting it done and they let him loose? No, that can't be it right?

You are amazingly short sighted and I'm sure no one can change that so enjoy your misery. I guess. :shrug:

you along with some of the seahawks fans here are such homers and refuse to criticize their players. You guys swear wilson is so great I am trying to bring you guys back to reality. You know how many QBs would have beaten the broncos if their defense held them to 8 points and causing defensive TDs, TDs on special teams and safeties? Pretty much anyone.

I am not saying we should have let wilson walk or even if he isnt worth the money because he got paid the going rate for QBs and if mathew stafford got paid then wilson deserves to get paid.

What I am saying is that wilson isnt as great as you think, he needs so much more help because without a great run game and a great defense the seahawks are an average team and if they make the playoffs are one and done. which is the writing on the wall the next few years because the hawks will probably have to trade frank clark

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a seahawks fan since the 70's and I can say without a doubt, the best QB in Seahawks history is the starter currently on the team. Wilson, lime any QB will have chinks in their armor. However, the body of work produced by Wilson in 7 seasons should mute any and all doubts about him.

Bottom line, if you were a rabid Hawks fan pre Hasselbeck/Holmgren there’s no way you are against this deal. Following this team in the 90’s was like watching the M’s over the last 18 years, they were god awful. A large reason why they were so bad was their play at QB. Now seeing a top 5 QB that has already won us a SB and taken us to another while breaking record after record extend his contract would have been nothing more than a fantasy in those days. I love the deal, go Russ and go Hawks!!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you along with some of the seahawks fans here are such homers and refuse to criticize their players. You guys swear wilson is so great I am trying to bring you guys back to reality. You know how many QBs would have beaten the broncos if their defense held them to 8 points and causing defensive TDs, TDs on special teams and safeties? Pretty much anyone.

We are watching the best QB that has ever worn a Seahawks uniform - and it's not even close, and you're still complaining that people don't criticize him enough? It's amazing that Russell is coming off what is arguably the best season of his career as far as personal accomplishments (I think it was his second best season behind 2015), and you're trying to argue he isn't that good. If you are requiring perfection at all times, there will always be something to complain about.

People keep bringing up Russell's performance since Lynch stopped being a factor in the offense, and I don't get the complaints. 2015-2017 Russell averaged 4075 yards, 30 TDs and 10 INTs with a 98.9 rating over those 3 years - 2 of which had absolutely 0 running game whatsoever and all three had putrid OLines. That doesn't even bring into account this past season where he put up a 5 to 1 TD to INT ratio on his way to a career high 110.9 rating.

Just for fun. let's look at a few of Russell's Seahawk passing records.

Career:
Completions: 2095 (3rd, 1 behind Dave Krieg).
Attempts: 3261 (3rd, 315 behind Krieg)
Comp. % - 64.2 (1st)
Yards: 25624 (3rd, 508 behind Krieg)
TD: 196 (1st)
TD%: 6.0 (1st)

INT: 63 (4th, 65 behind Matt Hasselbeck)
INT%: 1.9 (1st)
YPA: 7.9 (1st)
YPG: 228.8 (1st)
Rate: 100.3 (1st)
4QC: 17 (1st)
GWD: 23 (1st)

Season:
Completions: 353 (1st); 339 (3rd); 329 (4th)
Attempts: 553 (2nd); 546 (3rd)
Comp. % - 68.1 (1st); 65.6 (2nd); 64.7 (5th)
Yards: 4219 (1st); 4024 (2nd); 3983 (3rd)
TD: 35 (1st); 34 (t - 2nd Twice)
TD%: 8.2 (1st); 7.0 (5th)

INT: 11 (t -27th)
INT%: 1.5 (2nd); 1.6 (3rd); 1.7 (4th)
YPA: 8.3 (2nd); 8..2 (3rd); 8.1 (4th); 7.9 (5th)
YPG: 263.7 (1st); 251.5 (2nd); 248.9 (3rd)
Rate: 110.9 (1st); 110.1 (2nd); 101.2 (3rd); 100.0 (4th)
4QC: 4 (t-1st); 3 (t - 3rd Twice)

GWD: 4 (t- 2nd - 4 times)