• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Willie McCovey passed away

fullxtension

Sensei
Hoopla Cash
$ 21,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am honored to say I watched him play at the end of his career and he was truly amazing. The sound of the crack of his bat when he hit one out was unmistakable. I knew it was gone without looking. Stretch was an amazing talent and a good man. I wish I was more like him. God bless you Willie. And God be with your family during this tough time. You are forever in my heart.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am honored to say I watched him play at the end of his career and he was truly amazing. The sound of the crack of his bat when he hit one out was unmistakable. I knew it was gone without looking. Stretch was an amazing talent and a good man. I wish I was more like him. God bless you Willie. And God be with your family during this tough time. You are forever in my heart.
Come Back Player Of The Year 1977.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I had the chance to watch he, Mays and Cepeda play in their heydays. I was only 3 when McCovey retired. Praying for comfort for his family and loved ones.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I had the chance to watch he, Mays and Cepeda play in their heydays. I was only 3 when McCovey retired. Praying for comfort for his family and loved ones.

I was 13 when he played his first game and baseball was what I lived for at 13 years of age. Everything Giant was important to me back then. I can remember thinking 'who the hell is this guy'. He got 4 hits in his opening game. Things were looking good. They had just left NY and I still was 'tied' to my team. I remember staying up to 11pm to hear some inning from a night game in SF. Constantly told to 'go to sleep'. But my father knew ... he always asked me how they were doing!

I saw them all play. it was a great time for a kid. These were amazing players

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was a neighbor of ours in the early to mid 80s while he was still mobile. saw him occasionally at community events. just a really nice guy and a very huge man. it was almost impossible to shake his hand as ones grip was just so mismatched.

i remember he drove a porsche, a 911, with the useless 'back seat removed' and extender tracks on the driver's seat. license number was 'MAC 44'. even with the seat extended i have no idea how he go into that thing

i only saw play him as a giant a few times in dodger stadium (where we grew up) and then later as a giant after his comeback.

loved the old giant teams and the fact he and mays have stayed close to the team

rip stretch

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Willies have told Will and Barry that they have to pick up the mantle and be the alumni that carry the torch moving forward. Will has the personality, but Barry has reportedly accepted the “challenge”, even though he doesn’t seem the type.

In the long term, you know Pence will become “that guy”, but who will join him? Timmeh hates the spotlight, and seems like he still holds his ties to Seattle. Posey is a natural, but he doesn’t seem the type. Bum may have half his career with another org, so will he still be a “Giant”? Cain’s public image is very quiet, but most stories I have heard are that he was a pretty big clubhouse joker.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Willies have told Will and Barry that they have to pick up the mantle and be the alumni that carry the torch moving forward. Will has the personality, but Barry has reportedly accepted the “challenge”, even though he doesn’t seem the type.

In the long term, you know Pence will become “that guy”, but who will join him? Timmeh hates the spotlight, and seems like he still holds his ties to Seattle. Posey is a natural, but he doesn’t seem the type. Bum may have half his career with another org, so will he still be a “Giant”? Cain’s public image is very quiet, but most stories I have heard are that he was a pretty big clubhouse joker.

actually we've had occasion to meet with barry several times (at a local restaurant a relative owned... barry was actually bussing tables and joking with patrons) and a few charity events. he can be very personable, funny, and respective imo. if management would meet him 1/2 way i could see him stepping up for both his and his father's legacy....

the other guy who holds sway locally is will clark.. i believe he's still on staff. i could see the thrill becoming a voice for the giants...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually we've had occasion to meet with barry several times (at a local restaurant a relative owned... barry was actually bussing tables and joking with patrons) and a few charity events. he can be very personable, funny, and respective imo. if management would meet him 1/2 way i could see him stepping up for both his and his father's legacy....

the other guy who holds sway locally is will clark.. i believe he's still on staff. i could see the thrill becoming a voice for the giants...
Will is the other guy I mentioned as the guy who needs to carry the torch moving forward. He is on staff as a “community ambassador” and does some organizational coaching.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a legend. My grandpa took this one hard, he loved McCovey. Wish I could have seen him in his prime days

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned before I saw all of these players ... McCovey, Mays, Cepeda, Kirkland, Alvin Dark. Spencer. Also saw many Doyer greats. Snider, Koufax (couldn't hit the side of a bard when he first came up), Reese, Gilliam, Hodges etc. Same for the NYYs. Saw both Maris and Mantle. Whitey Ford and a host of others I just can remember. Living in NY during the 50's and 60's as a teenager was a wonderful time for a baseball fanatic. I went to the 1954 WS and was actually at the game that Mays made the catch .... I was only 8 years old at the time and remember absolutely ... nothing .... about the catch. I'm pretty sure I listened to the first game that Mac played in. I was 13 at that time.
Watching and following your team as a teenager was ... just priceless! It was all about the team!. You lived and died with each win and loss. I never knew about a Front Office, salary requirements, free agency or any of the things that are now 'front and center' in the world of baseball. I remember being 'destroyed' when they traded Bobby Bonds to the NYY for Bobby Mercer.

Baseball through the eyes of a 'child' is something that I deeply miss .... It was one of the most memorable times of my life .... and Mac was a part of that .... he will be missed ... mostly by that kid ... that is still very much a part of me ....