• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the XFL impact College Football?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
XFL: ABC/ESPN, Fox Reveal Schedules for Football League Revival

They just revealed the schedule, one thing this league has going for it is accessibility, something the last league didn’t. Also, deeper pockets and trying to open up the bank for kids like Trevor Lawrence. But I have a hard time believing a kid like Lawrence would take a million now and not play on the much bigger stage which is college football. But what about kids who need the cash? Hard to pass up a million dollar contract as a kid going into their Junior year that is trying to provide for a family.

I’m intrigued for sure, but their first go round was an absolute failure and that is hard to ignore. McMahon also treats his wrestlers like crap and gives them next to no insurance etc. I think safety is a concern.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope some kid does take the bait and signs with the XFL, does great and then moves on to the NFL........skipping the college game. Maybe this would shut the greedheads up who want a full ride scholarship and all the benefits of attending college PLUS a regular paycheck. Want the $$$? Then go play for it in the XFL. Want to get an education, play for a team that has tradition, win a "worthless" championship or two and still get trained for the NFL? Then STFU and play by the NCAA rules. Choices. Life is full of them, kid; stop bitching and make one, OK?

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the big issues with getting high school players to the XFL, is the league has to show it can sustain. If high school players just started jumping to the XFL and the league folds within a year or two, they won't be eligible for the NCAA and will be left high and dry. Alot of risk for high school kids who have an eye on the NFL, or even college kids, to jump to the XFL right now, .

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They just revealed the schedule, one thing this league has going for it is accessibility, something the last league didn’t. Also, deeper pockets and trying to open up the bank for kids like Trevor Lawrence. But I have a hard time believing a kid like Lawrence would take a million now and not play on the much bigger stage which is college football. But what about kids who need the cash? Hard to pass up a million dollar contract as a kid going into their Junior year that is trying to provide for a family.

I’m intrigued for sure, but their first go round was an absolute failure and that is hard to ignore. McMahon also treats his wrestlers like crap and gives them next to no insurance etc. I think safety is a concern.
It depends on if they can actually not go bankrupt and pay players a lot of money.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woooooo MOAR FOOTBALL hope since these guys arent as big they play as hard as college boys tryin to make it to the big league otherwise it will just be another league of boring paid players

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the big issues with getting high school players to the XFL, is the league has to show it can sustain. If high school players just started jumping to the XFL and the league folds within a year or two, they won't be eligible for the NCAA and will be left high and dry. Alot of risk for high school kids who have an eye on the NFL, or even college kids, to jump to the XFL right now, .
If they forego college for the XFL and play for 2 years and the league goes belly up they would still be eligible for the NFL the next season.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they forego college for the XFL and play for 2 years and the league goes belly up they would still be eligible for the NFL the next season.
Yes obviously. But for any players that come out this year and the league goes under half way thru the season (like the aaf), then they would be screwed.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on if they can actually not go bankrupt and pay players a lot of money.
League wont ever go bankrupt as the sole owner if every team is a multi billionaire. It will only fold if he loses interest or starts losing too much money and decides it not worth it. But if hes all in then the league will be fine

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League wont ever go bankrupt as the sole owner if every team is a multi billionaire. It will only fold if he loses interest or starts losing too much money and decides it not worth it. But if hes all in then the league will be fine
If it's losing money, they will. Even billionaires hate losing money.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's losing money, they will. Even billionaires hate losing money.
Sure . My point is that the league has the necessary funding to stick. He may close it down due to losing money but it will be because he doesn't want to keep paying not because he cant keep paying

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WWE generated 801M in revenues last year and gas gone up every year for forever. So even if this league loses money at the start it's not really a concern to McMahon as long as hes committed to making it work

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope some kid does take the bait and signs with the XFL, does great and then moves on to the NFL........skipping the college game. Maybe this would shut the greedheads up who want a full ride scholarship and all the benefits of attending college PLUS a regular paycheck. Want the $$$? Then go play for it in the XFL. Want to get an education, play for a team that has tradition, win a "worthless" championship or two and still get trained for the NFL? Then STFU and play by the NCAA rules. Choices. Life is full of them, kid; stop bitching and make one, OK?
Fair point.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see this giving players more flexibility like the transfer portal. This can give players a little bit of a safety net to try their luck in the NFL draft.

The effect on the overall sport? Not really, fans cheer for the color the jersey, not the name on there

Don't see XFL stealing HS recruits when there's better players in the NFL free agency and practice squad. All HS players will need time to develop and by time the good ones get up to speed, the NFL will be knocking.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The XFL will fold like a cheap lawn chair.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant believe I didn't realize this before, the WWE move to FOX and the FOX money WWE is getting is purely for the XFL. If anyone has followed WWE recently, the product is terrible, which made me surprised Vince and Co. have been pushing Smackdown on FOX as such a big thing, well it's big because it is going to help fund the XFL.

First things first, for the XFL to succeed, I think the season needs to be in or around actual football season, just make the games be Tuesday or Wednesday nights. So people are still in the football mood. Even though I love football, football games in June and July feel extremely 'pre-season' to me.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually read somewhere that the standard medium salary for an XFL player will be 55K$ a year. Some may get more depending on their play and position, but all around every single player will make about 55. So if they are looking to make millions from the XFL they better not get their hopes up other than getting an endorsement deal from somewhere if they are good enough. So its either go to college and get an education and play football in hopes of making it to the NFL, or go to the XFL and make a little money while training for the NFL, oooorrr go to college, not be good enough for NFL but make it in the XFL and make a little money while still trying to get good enough to make it in the NFL. Pick yer poison.