• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will OKC ever retire Durant's jersey?

Will OKC ever retire Durant's jersey?

• Yes, and they should

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No, but they should

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No, and they shouldn't

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • They will, but they shouldn't

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that's a yes then. You're actually comparing Elgins career with the Lakers to Durants with the Thunder.

Wow

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I'm not arguing the difference between Baylor and KD. I'm arguing the difference in your incoherent and completely flawed logic. I can't help you if you can't see the difference.

You trying to say KD doesn't deserve to have his jersey retired based on merit is completely stupid. If you said he won't have it retired because of him leaving, that's different.

You keep changing your narrative because you don't even know what it is. You're just trying to bash KD. I get it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS. Being deserving and actually being retired are completely separate issues. KD on merit is absolutely deserving. But as many have indicated he likely won't be, because of fan perception, which is a shame.

But arguing KD's merits don't make him worthy is just stupid. If KD just decided to retire 2 years ago instead of leaving, he'd have his jersey already retired by now.

You're taking this a little bit too personal.

Is this one of Durant's burner accounts?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're taking this a little bit too personal.

Is this one of Durant's burner accounts?

I wish because if it were I wouldn't actually be at work today and living in a palace in the Oakland Hills.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just trying to bash KD. I get it.

How?

Maybe i'm just too spoiled because of the amount of jerseys in the rafters at Staples.

But a guy who only spent 8 years on a team, didn't win anything for the city and bolted at the first chance he got probably wouldn't have his jersey retired for the Lakers.

That's what i'm comparing it to.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish because if it were I wouldn't actually be at work today and living in a palace in the Oakland Hills.

Would you be defending him this much if he were still ringless in OKC right now?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, KD did enough in OKC to make it into the Hall of Fame, which is a much greater honor than a team retiring a jersey.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How?

Maybe i'm just too spoiled because of the amount of jerseys in the rafters at Staples.

But a guy who only spent 8 years on a team, didn't win anything for the city and bolted at the first chance he got probably wouldn't have his jersey retired for the Lakers.

That's what i'm comparing it to.

Probably and most likely the bolded. Being a Warrior fan that has had a shit history for the longest time minus our current run, we valued players for what they were. Our best players got good when the left, or got good, then left. It doesn't diminish our valuation of them.

It's probably just a case of two different philosophies. I value a guys contribution and efforts during their tenure more so than anything.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you be defending him this much if he were still ringless in OKC right now?

Absolutely. If KD retired two years ago instead of leaving, do you think there is any debate his jersey is up in the rafters right now for the Thunder? He's absolutely has his jersey retired. Any Thunder fan would tell you that.

See that's my main argument. It's not his merits that have changed, it's his story. Based on MERIT alone, I think he deserves to have his jersey retired by him. But that changes because of his situation with the organization.

If you had said from the start KD doesn't deserve to have his jersey retired because the jersey retirement is for the fans and he is on bad terms with them right now, I wouldn't have had any issue.

But when you come in and say he's done nothing to deserve it, that's where I took issue, not as a KD fan, but as a basketball fan. Game recognize game.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that's a yes then. You're actually comparing Elgins career with the Lakers to Durants with the Thunder.

Wow

I will bite.

You can't simply compare stats because Baylor's era tremendously inflated them.

So, Baylor never won an MVP. KD did. Baylor never won a scoring title. KD won 4 with OKC.

So yeah, it is very fair to compare KD's accomplishments in OKC to Baylor's. it is also fair to say KD has already accomplished more in his career than Baylor did, as great as Baylor was.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will bite.

You can't simply compare stats because Baylor's era tremendously inflated them.

So, Baylor never won an MVP. KD did. Baylor never won a scoring title. KD won 4 with OKC.

So yeah, it is very fair to compare KD's accomplishments in OKC to Baylor's. it is also fair to say KD has already accomplished more in his career than Baylor did, as great as Baylor was.

giphy.gif

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then how come Shaq didn't get his retired in Orlando?

MVP, All-Star appearances and a Gold Medal are all personal accomplishments. Nothing to do with OKC

It depends on the franchise. Shaq was in Miami for 4 years and burned the proverbial bridge; still got his retired in Miami.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tell me, what historic things did Durant do for the Thunder, other than bolt as soon as he had the chance?

Heck, Derek Fisher did more for the Lakers than Durant did for OKC.

This is laughably bad. I don't think @HurricaneDij39 could conjure something up like this.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. If KD retired two years ago instead of leaving, do you think there is any debate his jersey is up in the rafters right now for the Thunder? He's absolutely has his jersey retired. Any Thunder fan would tell you that.

See that's my main argument. It's not his merits that have changed, it's his story. Based on MERIT alone, I think he deserves to have his jersey retired by him. But that changes because of his situation with the organization.

If you had said from the start KD doesn't deserve to have his jersey retired because the jersey retirement is for the fans and he is on bad terms with them right now, I wouldn't have had any issue.

But when you come in and say he's done nothing to deserve it, that's where I took issue, not as a KD fan, but as a basketball fan. Game recognize game.

If you were to ask me if Durant should have his jersey retired for GS, I would have said yes.

Still think no for OKC.

Personal opinion, nothing more. Like I said, I've been spoiled with HOF jerseys in the rafters at Staples.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the starting PG for 5 championship teams. His 0.4 shot all but ensured the Lakers made the finals again.

And again, this isn't about individual accomplishments.

So why isn't Fisher's jersey hanging up in Staples Center?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in summation, according to @Shaqdaddy11:

Derek Fisher deserves to have his jersey retired over a player like Elgin Baylor.

Reasoning behind it is because one was a role player on a championship team, versus another player who was individually only one of the greatest basketball players to ever live. Because personal achievements do not matter.

Even though having your jersey retired is about person achievements. :agree::lol:

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on the franchise. Shaq was in Miami for 4 years and burned the proverbial bridge; still got his retired in Miami.

Yeah but they needed SOMETHING to go up in the rafters over there...

:dhd: