• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Vikings didn't overpay for Sam Bradford...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still doesn't mean the Vikes overpaid for him. They felt they had a chance with a solid defense and the best running back the league has seen since Eric Dickerson they had no chance if they don't make a move. They obviously didn't realize the offensive line would be one of the worst in the league and that AD would get hurt. Even though the season is now over I still have absolutely no problem with the trade.

The Eagles have a bunch of issues, a mid 1st round pick isn't going to turn them into a challenge for the Cowboys, with the way the Cowboys are set up all they need is some help on D and they are the team to beat in the East for at least the next five seasons.

They didn't realize that a 31 year old RB was an injury risk? Truthfully, with your starting RB already that old, you should already have your replacement RB of the future on the roster. McKinnon doesn't look like that guy.

Trading for Bradford is one thing, but overpaying for him is another. Paying a 1st and 4th for Capt Checkdown is ridiculous. Now that's two less picks to draft a QB (if Bridgewater's injury is truly career-threatening), RB replacement for Peterson, and offensive line help next season. They paid over retail for a glock and got a Red Rider BB gun instead, and risked next season and the near future to do so. But hey, maybe they should double-down and extend Bradford with a healthy raise.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers gave the 19th overall pick for Brett Favre, so if Bradford doesn't surpass what Favre did, that means the Vikings overpaid for him. :boink:
If this is the benchmark, it's probably impossible to pay fair market value for anybody....

Come on man, there isn't a team anywhere that wouldn't give up 2 #1 picks for 17 or however many years of a HOF QB for pick 19...or #3 for that matter...and if that is the benchmark we'll never see another trade again...ever.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't realize that a 31 year old RB was an injury risk? Truthfully, with your starting RB already that old, you should already have your replacement RB of the future on the roster. McKinnon doesn't look like that guy.

Trading for Bradford is one thing, but overpaying for him is another. Paying a 1st and 4th for Capt Checkdown is ridiculous. Now that's two less picks to draft a QB (if Bridgewater's injury is truly career-threatening), RB replacement for Peterson, and offensive line help next season. They paid over retail for a glock and got a Red Rider BB gun instead, and risked next season and the near future to do so. But hey, maybe they should double-down and extend Bradford with a healthy raise.

You may have noticed Peterson isn't your average RB. It's beyond stupid to say he's an injury risk at 31, in risk of slowing down sure but injury risk at 31? lolzzz come on.

They did not overpay, drafts picks have a way of not always turning into pro bowlers. In the NFL when you have a chance you have to go for it, running Hill out there all season would have been like telling the fans we are throwing in the towel on this season and perhaps AD's last season so we can save a mid first round pick that may or may not turn into an NFL starter, yeah great logic. The Vikings season is over and obviously Bradford is the perfect scapegoat but it was a trade that should be made 100 times out 100!

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Determines? No. But there are trends and you're a damn fool to ignore them. Feel free to save this post.

Ridiculous logic, feel free to get the paper closer to the front door tomorrow morning...

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, people are sure knocking Bradford. In my opinion, he's been about the only solid player on the offense this year. Quite frankly, I think Bridgewater's ceiling is where Bradford is now. With a decent o'line and a running game, I think Bradford can make this offense a contender. I wasn't ok with the trade in the beginning, but seeing how Bradford has played, I'm satisfied with it now.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is the benchmark, it's probably impossible to pay fair market value for anybody....

Come on man, there isn't a team anywhere that wouldn't give up 2 #1 picks for 17 or however many years of a HOF QB for pick 19...or #3 for that matter...and if that is the benchmark we'll never see another trade again...ever.
Hence the stick poking. It posted in with tongue firmly in cheek.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread...JUST...WON'T...DIE...

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vikings have a history of bad trades:suds:

1. Vikings surrender bounty of picks for Walker
Vikings receive: RB Herschel Walker, 1990 third-rounder (No. 54: TE Mike Jones), Chargers' 1990 fifth-rounder (No. 116: WR Reggie Thornton), 1990 10th-rounder (No. 249: WR Pat Newman), 1991 third-rounder (No. 68: Jake Reed)
Cowboys receive: Five players (LB Jesse Solomon, LB David Howard, CB Issiac Holt, DE Alex Stewart, RB Darrin Nelson, who was traded to the Chargers), 1990 first-rounder (No. 21: Traded to Steelers), 1990 second-rounder (No. 47: WR Alexander Wright), 1990 sixth-rounder (No. 158: Traded to Saints), 1991 first-rounder (No. 12: WR Alvin Harper), 1991 second-rounder (No. 38: LB Dixon Edwards) 1992 second-rounder (No. 37: S Darren Woodson), 1992 third-rounder (No. 71: Traded to Patriots), 1993 first-rounder (No. 13: Traded to Eagles)

The Cowboys parlayed that 1990 trade with the Steelers into RB Emmitt Smith, thus setting up this epic trade to generate a ripple effect across the NFL for a decade. By 1992, Walker was no longer with the Viking

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am now looking forward to the thread where casual fans harps on what an overpay it is when the Vikes hand Bradford a 5 year $100m extension this offseason.

:pray:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For people still harping on this trade they seemed to have overlooked one really important detail: Sam Braford has looked REALLY, REALLY good.

I was one of the Vikes fans who was willing to admit this was an overpay from day 1.

I am now looking forward to the thread where casual fans harps on what an overpay it is when the Vikes hand Bradford a 5 year $100m extension this offseason.

Go look at Sam Bradford's stats compared to Dak Prescott's. They are nearly identical. To do that behind one of the worst OL's in the last decade of football is nothing short of amazing. He has had a historically bad run game, no time in the pocket, and has constantly been beat up. Yet he has produced and stayed healthy. Simple fact is that this season Bradford is showing he is a franchise QB who you can win with.

Sure it is going to be harder to build the type of team around Bradford that can win without that first rounder. But that is the price you usually have to pay for a legit starting NFL QB. You can't bank on finding gold in the 4th round at the QB position.

The Vikings have one of the biggest one sided rebuilding projects in football right now to do. They literally have to rebuild the entire offense. They have only have two offensive players (Diggs and Rudolph) that should be on the roster 2 years from now. That rebuilding project is going to be INFINITELY easier without a first rounder and Bradford than it would have been with a first rounder and without him.

In the short term this trade didn't work out like the Vikes had envisioned as far as team success is concerned. But in the long run it sure is looking like a good move when you just look at how Bradford has performed.
You may be right, the thing is they'll have to have the talent to capitalize on that little window you're describing. That's going to take some work by the looks of things. Should be an interesting offseason for you guys.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may have noticed Peterson isn't your average RB. It's beyond stupid to say he's an injury risk at 31, in risk of slowing down sure but injury risk at 31? lolzzz come on.

They did not overpay, drafts picks have a way of not always turning into pro bowlers. In the NFL when you have a chance you have to go for it, running Hill out there all season would have been like telling the fans we are throwing in the towel on this season and perhaps AD's last season so we can save a mid first round pick that may or may not turn into an NFL starter, yeah great logic. The Vikings season is over and obviously Bradford is the perfect scapegoat but it was a trade that should be made 100 times out 100!

Ignore history at your own expense. When your starting RB is 31, you need to have your next in line on the roster already.

1st round picks have MUCH better odds to become pro bowlers than later picks, which is what the Vikings should've used to trade for Bradford. They had no competition for him and Philly was fine with moving on to their rookie. The Vikings overpaid. They suddenly needed a QB and panicked. When you get a flat tire, do you run to the nearest tire store and offer to pay way over retail for a used retread?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, people are sure knocking Bradford. In my opinion, he's been about the only solid player on the offense this year. Quite frankly, I think Bridgewater's ceiling is where Bradford is now. With a decent o'line and a running game, I think Bradford can make this offense a contender. I wasn't ok with the trade in the beginning, but seeing how Bradford has played, I'm satisfied with it now.

Good luck with that ceiling.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have always thought and still think that Bradford is a good QB. When he was on the Eagles I always said as much. A lot depends on individual opinions and their value of a 1st round draft pick. In my opinion a first round pick is a franchise player. I don't mean one of the best in the NFL but a good player that will contribute to the teams success for 7-10 years. I think it is too much to ask of a first round pick to be a perrenial pro-bowler but you do expect them to be good. Teams miss a lot with first round picks but they are still one of the highest commodities in the NFL.

Bradford while in my opinion a good player never had the value of a first round pick in trade scenarios IMO.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignore history at your own expense. When your starting RB is 31, you need to have your next in line on the roster already.

1st round picks have MUCH better odds to become pro bowlers than later picks, which is what the Vikings should've used to trade for Bradford. They had no competition for him and Philly was fine with moving on to their rookie. The Vikings overpaid. They suddenly needed a QB and panicked. When you get a flat tire, do you run to the nearest tire store and offer to pay way over retail for a used retread?

Ignore history? What, that when running backs turn 31 they get injured?

Better odds? It's almost like you aren't really paying attention, the Vikings could not just throw in the towel on the season they believed they were primed for a nice playoff run and made the moves they thought neccesary to keep that goal a reality.

The Vikings really didn't hold the cards in their trade talks with the Eagles, unless you think they should have somehow forced the Eagles to take a 3rd rounder and be happy.

They didn't overpay and your analogy makes zero sense.

But hey, Happy New Year...

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think this whole conversation could have been over Jay Cutler.

The upcoming thread on his impending free agency and teams eagerly seeking his favor should be fun. Can't wait.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignore history? What, that when running backs turn 31 they get injured?

Better odds? It's almost like you aren't really paying attention, the Vikings could not just throw in the towel on the season they believed they were primed for a nice playoff run and made the moves they thought neccesary to keep that goal a reality.

The Vikings really didn't hold the cards in their trade talks with the Eagles, unless you think they should have somehow forced the Eagles to take a 3rd rounder and be happy.

They didn't overpay and your analogy makes zero sense.

But hey, Happy New Year...

Your homer glasses are apparently permanently attached. You're right, there's no argument whatsoever, that's why this thread is 74 pages long and counting, started right after the trade.

The analogy makes perfect sense. The Vikings paid borderline franchise QB trade bounty for a broken down dink and dunk QB. What in Bradford's NFL history indicated that he was worth a 1st and a 4th? He has failed (or been injured) since he has been in the league.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your homer glasses are apparently permanently attached. You're right, there's no argument whatsoever, that's why this thread is 74 pages long and counting, started right after the trade.

The analogy makes perfect sense. The Vikings paid borderline franchise QB trade bounty for a broken down dink and dunk QB. What in Bradford's NFL history indicated that he was worth a 1st and a 4th? He has failed (or been injured) since he has been in the league.

There is a thread that's 52 pages long about Superheroes.

Homer glasses? What does my view on this have to do with being a homer? There is a much higher chance that your hatred for your teams former quarterback is affecting your opinion.

Broken down? How many games did he miss this year due to injury? How many did he miss last year?

How much do the teams he played on were terrible teams play into his failures?

Dink & dunk huh? Bradford's Y/A is 7.0 Aaron Rodgers has a Y/A of 7.2 Cam Newton is 6.8 Ben Roethlisberger is 7.5

So, the fact the Vikings had ZERO leverage in their talks with the Eagles and that they thought they had a chance to make a serious run this year and the fact you never really know what you are getting from a mid first round pick = They did not overpay. I really don't care what your opinion is on this, would have paying less been nice? Of course but as I said they had absolutely no leverage.

If the Vikings offensive line doesn't suck and AD doesn't get hurt I have a feeling this thread would have died a while back but being the team has fallen apart due to the reasons I listed, for some reason this all equates to the Vikes overpayed which is to me ridiculous.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade was a risk. Make the Super Bowl and it is worth it. Miss the playoffs and it works out about as well as the Titanic's 1st voyage.
Yet, if you minny hooplans are happy with him, extend away.