• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the next 6-8 weeks wont be like the last 3 weeks of 2013

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that neither are facts. Tell that to the posters who continue to dismiss the last 3 games as worthless evidence but then use preseason games as proof that Cousins is good and Griffin is bad. All were meaningless games, that's a fact . In the games last year the opponents were terrible teams who were simply playing out the string just as Washington was, that's also a fact. The fact is they were both similar situations. And it's simply not fair to pick and chose which meaningless games can be used to evaluate the QBs and which are dismissed just to fit your argument.

I don't. KC play poorly those 3 games. Case closed. RG3 played poorly in many games last year also. I don't base my argument on how either of these players played last year or in this preseason. My argument is based on watching the two run a pocket passing offense and I see specific traits in RG3 that are killers in this offense. Namely the time it takes for him to throw and his inability to pre read the defense (probably affecting reason #1). Now KC also has flaws. He is better at timing and pre reading, but if he gets the read wrong, he tends to force it anyway, resulting in INTs. Both can overcome these flaws, but right now, it is my opinion that KC is more effective running a pocket passing offense. RG3 is more effective running a more aggressive offense that includes him on the move. That is the point that most posters that you call haters are tying to make to you. If, for what ever reason, RG3 is only a pocket passer he is not, right now, a dangerous QB. It is our opinion that if that is the offense we are going to run, then if we want the best chance to win today, KC is probably a better option. If however, we use RG3 on some designed runs, then RG3 is the better option. Its not hating........

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK before this gets too far, and I know it's coming, I am NOT rooting for Kirk Cousins to fail. Like everyone here I am a hardcore,, I have missed 2 1/2 games in 40 years and that was due to circumstances. If you think I"d trade getting a good QB who can make us contenders for a decade just so I can be proven right to a bunch of strangers I have just met on a message board you would be out of your mind.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. KC play poorly those 3 games. Case closed......

You would be one of the few and this opinion is simply not backed up by the evidence. . But it's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it

Last edited by a moderator:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would be one of the few and this opinion is simply not backed up by the evidence. . But it's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it

Sorry I misread this post to mean you didn't think Cousins played poorly. Mods if you can delete both of these posts it would be appreciated.

You may not be evaluating the players on preseason games but you may be one of the few. Is there any doubt coming out of preseason that many favored Cousins based on what took place in August?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I misread this post to mean you didn't think Cousins played poorly. Mods if you can delete both of these posts it would be appreciated.

You may not be evaluating the players on preseason games but you may be one of the few. Is there any doubt coming out of preseason that many favored Cousins based on what took place in August?

There is no doubt that some did. I think most felt RG3 needed to play. There are a few knuckleheads on here and that call into the radio shows that wanted KC, but I don't think they are the majority.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that some did. I think most felt RG3 needed to play. There are a few knuckleheads on here and that call into the radio shows that wanted KC, but I don't think they are the majority.

They may not be the majority but they are the posters I've been, um, discussing the QB issue with the most. here. And it's not just here, a lot of people in this area feel this way. And there should be no doubt that they are applying a double standard when evaluating the QBs.

They dismiss "meaningless" regular season games at the end of last year, again when BOTH teams on the field had mailed it in, where their choice does not play well. Then they use even more meaningless preseason games as some sort of evidence when he does play well No other way to put it, it's an unfair comparison and a double standard. And just more evidence as to why RGIII is not getting a fair shake.

Think back to that Baltimore game. What does everyone remember? Griff getting hurt and Kirk coming in to save the day. Does anyone even realize that Griffin took the team from his own 15 to the Baltimore 17 in the final minutes, half on one leg? Of course they don't. All they remember is Kirk Cousins saving the day when the truth is he completed 2 passes and ran in for the tying 2 pt conversion. He was the hero when Griffin did most of the heavy lifting. But it's never remembered that way is it?

Cousins has played in this type of offense his entire career. Of course he is ahead of a guy who has been playing in it since May. That does not mean Cousins will be the better fit in 2 years yet many here have already come to that conclussion

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are reading more into it for most. What has most dismayed is the focus on trying to make RG3 a pocket passer exclusively. Many feel he will not excel as such. I have my concerns. They feel that it is limiting the impact that Robert could have. Many also believe that Robert was the impetus behind this change. For this they hold Robert accountable so when he struggles, they jump on him. Now throw in the fact that we have KC who has looked good at times (lets face it, all this year he has looked sharp) and they want to see what he can do.

If the Skins decide to use Robert's skills to his fullest and he is back terrorizing defenses, then most of these same people will fall in love with him all over again. The bottom line is if he plays well, he will be supported. But if he continue to struggle, especially since they believe he pushed for the change, then he will be questioned and folks will yearn for the alternative. That's all thats happening here.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bout a week ago the common perception was that cousins had had his chance in the last three games of 2013 and came up wanting. He was a good backup off the bench, but not much more than average when given a chance to lead.

Well Im here to tell you why this will be different. First let me state, this is not an indictment piece on RG3. This is why I honestly think Cousins will do well enough to keep us in the Division hunt and my surprise ending to this part of the story.

While many said last year was his shot and he came up wanting, reality is that taking over a team with a coach who was a dead man walking, and a squad long out of the playoffs hunt, Cousins actually looked Average for the most part. Most of the starters were NOT going to risk injury that could put future seasons at peril. Especially considering the fact that the scuttlebutt was that the entire coaching staff on both sides of the ball was likely to get canned. So for most people on the team not named Morris, Williams, Reed, Garcon and a select few others, it became about showing up and playing, but not risking injury. Not saying the team gold bricked, but no way were you going to get above and beyond effort from ANY of the other 52 guys on roster. good effort, sure.. great or game winning.. not a shot.

Flash forward to the now. New coach, the team is 1-1. These guys ARE going to go out and lay it all out no matter who the QB is. I fully expect Kirk to have his bad play moments. But I think you will also see guys on all three phases of the game actually giving that effort. Not saying this will turn Kirk into a franchise QB, or that he is going to win us the division. But he will keep us in the hunt.

Now ready for the surprise ending..... IF RG3 is healthy and ready to play in 8 weeks, Kirk will once again remind every one that this is RG3's team and he was just minding the store until the QB got back on his feet. If Gruden makes the call to put RG3 back in the game, Kirk will welcome him back and step aside stating that while he wants a chance to start still, its Robs team and he will trust in his fate and is willing to do what ever is best for the team at that time.

I think this could have been summarized nicely by saying "Last year at 3-10, no one cared anymore". While that was true, the fact is KC didn't really play that well either. He had plenty of unforced turnovers, and really only played well for about one half out of those 3 games.

As to the surprise ending, that is exactly what I would expect from KC, and totally in his best interest. He knows the team won't sign both of them to renewals, so if he wants to stay, he needs to not whine and cry and he needs to say all the right things. Even if he wants out so he can go someplace else and start (which he would), then acting out or whining will lower his trade value and his contract extension value.

So if, in the unlikely scenario that KC has us winning but RGIII is named the starter when he returns, KC will do and say all the right things, knowing we can't keep him here much longer as a backup and that his big payday and chance to start is only helped by being a team player, and its hurt by being a selfish whiner.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are reading more into it for most. What has most dismayed is the focus on trying to make RG3 a pocket passer exclusively. Many feel he will not excel as such. I have my concerns. They feel that it is limiting the impact that Robert could have. Many also believe that Robert was the impetus behind this change. For this they hold Robert accountable so when he struggles, they jump on him. Now throw in the fact that we have KC who has looked good at times (lets face it, all this year he has looked sharp) and they want to see what he can do.

If the Skins decide to use Robert's skills to his fullest and he is back terrorizing defenses, then most of these same people will fall in love with him all over again. The bottom line is if he plays well, he will be supported. But if he continue to struggle, especially since they believe he pushed for the change, then he will be questioned and folks will yearn for the alternative. That's all thats happening here.

Oh no I totally get that. But the problem is everyone assumes Griffin is insisting on being just a pocket passer (I'm guessing that's what the CSI thing is but I'm still unclear). They totally overlook that Griffin ran the RO to start that game, twice. So obviously he is not stubbornly insisting he only be a pocket passer.

But let's be honest, the way to have long term success if for him to learn to become a guy who can stand in the pocket and deliver strikes. Hew can still use his legs but he needs to learn this. I was willing to be patient and find out, others seem to have already concluded it will never happen and are Hell bent on throwing away a talent like this for a guy who is more ready now so they maybe can get 3 more wins in 2014.

I don't see how anyone can conclude that a player playing in this type of offense for the the first time in his life in May is as good as he will ever be at at. That is complete nonsense.

Now his injuries, that's a totally different discussion

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no I totally get that. But the problem is everyone assumes Griffin is insisting on being just a pocket passer (I'm guessing that's what the CSI thing is but I'm still unclear). They totally overlook that Griffin ran the RO to start that game, twice. So obviously he is not stubbornly insisting he only be a pocket passer.

But let's be honest, the way to have long term success if for him to learn to become a guy who can stand in the pocket and deliver strikes. Hew can still use his legs but he needs to learn this. I was willing to be patient and find out, others seem to have already concluded it will never happen and are Hell bent on throwing away a talent like this for a guy who is more ready now so they maybe can get 3 more wins in 2014.

I don't see how anyone can conclude that a player playing in this type of offense for the the first time in his life in May is as good as he will ever be at at. That is complete nonsense.

Now his injuries, that's a totally different discussion

There are two indisputable actions that make people believe RG3 was behind drive for him to become a stereo typical NFL QB. First, his Dad came out after season 1 and basically ripped the shanahans stating that Robert needs to be used in the pocket and not as a runner (I'm paraphrasing). If anyone believes that RGII doesn't influence RG3 and, by extension, speak for him, they are naive. When RG3 was asked about his Dad's statement he mumbled something about its the coach's call, blah blah blah, but he didn't refute his Dad's remarks. Honestly (other than the injury), why would the Shanahan's make that change? They devised a revolutionary scheme that stymied most defenses and one that has been adopted by multiple teams.

Second, when Gruden was hired in his initial press conference, he stated that it would be foolish not to take advantage of RG3's mobility. Within days, he changed his tune and said that it was the goal of the "organization" to develop RG3 into a pocket passer.

Yes, this is part of the CSI that Dad refers to. The other part has to due with the issue of RG3s involvement in undermining Shanahan and ultimately leading to his firing. I personally believe that he did throw shanahan under the bus after season 1, blaming him for him playing injured. But I also believe that shanahan dug his own grave by his complete mismanagement of the situation.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amen to that. :yahoo:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know , i am not one of the guys on NFL network but here are some things that need to be taken into account about those last 3 games

1st KC has stated he wants to be an NFL starter

2nd those 3 game were an opportunity to show he was ready , and he didnt seize the moment

now if he had played well and won those 3 winnable games do you think that , that might have driven up his desirability ? i say , yes it would have

to say that KC and those teams "didnt have anything to play for " is a lazy way out for people to justify the fact that KC didnt seize his opportunity

now does that mean he blew his only chance ? no

now he has another chance and i expect he will seize it

but up until last week KC hadnt shown he was anything special as the 4rth round pick off suggests

that doesnt make anyone a KC hater . all it is doing is opening some eyes up to the real measurable facts

if KC plays the way he did vs the jags the majority of his time in there then he has to be your qb period , Rg3 or not