• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why does Fleury hate the first 2 minutes of games?

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can not be the only person to notice how frequently MAF lets in a goal within the first two minutes of a game (or period). This dates back to his first game ever... first shot he ever faced he let in... and that trend has continued until this day. Last playoffs, all 4 games (i think) the Penguins lost to the Canadians he let a goal within the first 2 minutes. I was watching the Pens/Caps series froma few yrs agao when he let in a goal within 30 seconds and the annoucners said, just like last game. Now me and my brothers talk about him often enough, and they now see what I mean.... Like I said, this is not a new trend, but something he has done his entire professional career.

My question now is, with the new boards being so active, will this help Fleury get his mind in the game from the moment the puck is dropped, or does he have to let in a soft goal within the first 2 minutes to get involved? When he gives up those early goals, the Pens never seem to find there forechecking game.. I wonder why?... I know why...

No doubt about it, MAF is the biggest question mark heading into the season. He needs to play up to his abilities and stop putting the Pens behind the 8 ball so early in games. I was one of his biggest fans, but after watching his garbage play against the Habs, I have no confidence in the guy... and listening to him speak about the new arena.. I even have less confidence.

PenVolution

woooooooo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Even though I feel redundant posting in two places (Pens swamp and here), Fleury just isn't all there. You can make the argument that the defense looks horrible for him, but 4-0-1 compared to 1-4-0.. you have to look at the results. At some point, in spite of the defense, you have to be able to win a game or two.

He just can't get it done. His glove hand looks amazingly slow and he is getting beat more and more between his right pad and the post. People keep trickling it in.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are correct something is totally wrong. He is not playing with any fundamentals at all and trying to use his reaction speed to make any save rather than playing the angles. As Penvo stated he looks slow and if you rely on your reaction/reflexes and they are slow they you have no chance of making the save.

I think thats why all his saves look like big saves because he has to and is over compensating for something.

But the poor defense has probably killed any confidence he had so it might be better to shut him down for a while.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember he went down with a groin injury (I believe) early in his career and when he came back he was stellar? It was my impression that when he returned, he wasn't 100% physically and had to rely more on fundamentals and less on his raw talent. Looks like he is back to trying to use just his talent and the fundamentals have been thrown out the window.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A lot of his play needs work. Positioning. Rebound control. Going down to early.

But, that has nothing to do with him and his awful trend of giving up early goals. I was at his first game ever and remember him giving up the first shot he ever face, and thinking to myself, I hope that isn't a trend... so since day one of him being a penguin I have been keeping an eye out for early goals.

I also noticed it wasn't just within the opening moments of games, but also within the last minute of periods, and beginning of periods as well... he just seems to start every period slow and shut down early... he just needs to find his game and play for 60 minutes.

My brother is convinced he is a stoner...

PenVolution

woooooooo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's still young but we can't keep going through this semi-annual reworking process just so he can be an average goaltender. Eventually, people have to overlook his stellar play in the playoffs two years ago and realize that wasn't him meeting his potential; that was him playing out of his mind. If everyone thought this way, that the basis of future play was on the past, Jonathan Cheechoo wouldn't be working at McDonalds unclogging the toilets. Fleury's career numbers do nothing to justify that he will get any better than being average (and sometimes, a little bit below).

You can't pay a player 5 million a year because they are a fan favorite or because they have potential. Because after some time with the team and with most of the same personnel, you have to reach that potential. It's not happening. He is what he is.