• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Does Brown Get A Pass?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched this shit show of a game, with less than 25 games left I hope this team absolutely spirals into the toilet. Getting shelled 6-1 by Florida, or any team, is embarassing.

They need an infusion of skill, even crappy teams have that one sniper (like Carter used to be - you could almost guarantee a goal in the third when they needed it) and if the Kings can lock down a top 5 spot in the draft I think that'll speed up the retool/rebuild/whatever you want to call it more quickly.

This brought me back to Brown, I was just looking at his game log earlier this week and saw he hadn't scored a goal since Jan 21. It's clear as day last year was a blip and the previous 5 years hovering between 30-35 points is what he has become, not the career high 61 points he got in 2017-18 that resembled his play from almost 10 years earlier.

So as he cut to the net tonight and scored the Kings only goal, which I was happy to see (believe me), I want every Brown Noser in this forum to give me reasons why he continually flies under the radar for not performing, especially at his price point. He doesn't get paid $5.85 million to be a cheerleader which is exactly what he has been for 10 years minus a brief stretch in 2012, the lockout season in 2013 and last year in 2017.

I appreciate him, he was the leader the team needed when they needed it. I think 2012 doesn't happen without him, and 2014 he played well but wasn't the game breaker from 2 years earlier. That was a collective effort with various guys stepping up, he was no different than anyone else.

So while Richard's got the shaft (deservedly) but was a much better leader than Brown with a higher level of intangibles, Kopitar and Doughty get killed for making $11 each and Quick apparently can't stop a puck, why does Brown get the pass?

Splain please.

=)~~

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where he gets a pass from anybody. He used to be good for some decent hits when the Kings did that. Richards there was a way to get rid of him...so ya I saw that as a needed thing. No way to get rid of Brown, so what can anyone say other than...who could we send him to? The whole team has been horrid and playing below their skill about as much as they played above it last season. Brown has been at best mediocre but is usually not the worst on the ice game in and game out, so he doesn't get bash like some others....but ya he is a waste of 5m

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also throw in the fact that we are accustomed to not much from him, so getting not much from him is kinda spot on

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets a pass constantly from Kings fans, this board included. It's some sentimental connection to him, much like Robitaille and Blake. I get it, I liked them too, and I like Brown, but not enough to the point where his salary and performance outweighs what he brings to the table.

Yet we rewind to Richards in 2014 and 2015, and his head was on a stake. Brown was well into year 3 or 4 (overall) of not performing but I didn't hear the same comments about Brown as I did with Richards. The reality is Richards was the dude who put this team over the finish line, Brown was the guy who got them to within 6". But it was all about Richards and his terrible play, bad rep, etc. Brown is literally no different than him in any case except for tenure here in LA. And personally I'd rather have a ball buster for 3 seasons like Richards than a guy who people love for 10 years who isn't as effective. In fact I respect Richards more because even as he got his ass kicked physically, he sacrificed his body with medication to be the ultimate team player and it cost him in the end. Smart? Nope. Heart, soul and wi n at all costs, including yourself? Hands down.

During this horrid season, Brown has dodged pretty much all criticism but he is just as culpable as anyone else on this roster. In fact, more considering how highly held he is. The dude is just as bad as Carter, Kopitar, Quick or anyone else from the monster teams but he never comes up in the "why isn't Carter/Kovalchuk/Toffoli/taco cart guy scoring?" discussion.

Personally, and you all know this, I wanted him traded after the first Cup. The trade rumors in Feb 2012, young kids and the reality of being uprooted after almost 10 years is what lit a brief fire under his ass. Other than that, he is a grossly overpaid B6 player and has been since 2009.

I truly feel they never should have removed the ability to tear up contracts under the 2005 CBA because it would have been a huge benefit to LA right now to be able to pay him the $1.5 million tops he is really worth. If you don't believe that, you may be a Brown Noser.

Unfortunately he continues to be a cap suck and not much else.

Last edited:

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown has a guardian angel

Story time
My wife has collected 17 autographs from NHL players while they were still playing. 16 of the 17 were traded or released within 6 months of signing something for her. The only one to stay with his team the next season. Dustin Brown. He signed stuff for us at the 2010 Draft, we were volunteering at a booth he was signing stuff and then he gave us a few for keeping the line in order.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard so many great things about Brown, it's crazy. In fact I wish I was more like him with the community involvement, good guy rep. He truly does seem to be a wonderful person and one we should all strive to be. I know I wish I was a better person for sure.

I would if I could and had the resources of time and money that he has. I believe Dustin Brown is probably one of the most genuine, honest people in the world and we need more of that. I have conservative beliefs but am also socially aware, I am a right leaning Libertarian. There is a shortage of good people in this world but Dustin Brown.is not one of them.

That said, my personal beliefs and what I expect from hockey players (or athletes in general) is a completely different, compartmentalized situation. Dustin Brown the person vs Dustin Brown the player are two entirely different things to me. And as a player making almost $6 million, sorry but he sucks ass. He should be held just as much as responsible as anyone else but look around, his name never comes up. Don't believe me, just look for yourself, seriously.

Not a single article anywhere hammers him, he's somehow made it an art to suck yet stay out of the headlines.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
image.jpg

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think Brown Eyes have already had their thinking process damaged. It's like when girly girls saw Elvis for the first time.

Wet panties but the reality was you never had a chance.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did the Kings 5k this summer and as we're running (Light walking?) Brown comes running by with his kids. Dude is the ideal captain for the community stuff for sure. Family guy, no drama.

As for play. Does anyone remember me criticizing Brown around 2010/2011? Then xis would troll me. I didn't see it in Brown back then and then he went off since that 2012 trade deadline. He tied Kopitar in goals and assists that 2012 run. So I was happy with just winning it, and let it all go.

Ironically, with the league going speed speed speed, I feel like Brown's harder style could actually translate (Should actually translate). Dude isn't a slug and one of the only dudes on our team who even tries to check anymore. Doughty would always talk about how much pried he had during All-Star weekend when other guys would say how hard it was to play against LA because they made you earn everything, finished their checks, and wore you down.

So I don't know. I know my family and friends love Brown so anytime I criticize him, they fight to defend him.

To me, he's so far from the main issue. I don't think they should have stripped the C from him to give to Kopitar. I feel like that was just to move jerseys.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great story, he is entrenched in this community and is honestly one of the good guys of hockey. The Kings have had many players come and go but I don't think anyone will be remembered as much as Brown for his contributions off the ice when his career is over. LA is his home and probably always will be.

I have broken this down before but I put Brown's career into three distinct eras: 2003-2009, 2009-2012 and then 2012-present. Basically he was a different player in each era, with 2003-2009 being his best, 2009-2012 being stagnant and 2012 too present in an extended decline. If you really want to get technical, 2003-2012 could be lumped into one era. You could see the lack of confidence in his game from 2009-2012 with only the reality that he could be moved at the 2012 Trade Deadline lighting a fire under his ass.

The lockout year to now, except for last season which is a blip, he has been really disappointing because of the salary. I could live with his play if he made less than $1.5 million but that isn't the case. His contract has saddled the team for many years, longer than Doughty's or Kopitar's have. You have to think that management would take some serious heat for moving a player of his history and reputation, which I think is a big reason why he was never traded in addition to the salary.

I will disagree with you on the captaincy removal, I think his leadership wasn't very present the last several years he wore the C. I don't know if I would have given to Kopitar however, and (at the time) Doughty because of the resting bitch face and tantrums but removing it from Brown was the right move.

He will forever be loved and has his name in the Kings' books for what he accomplished, and his story is a dream come true - drafted, developed and led his team to that first Cup. But I think because of this and also what I mentioned, he seems to not get criticized as much as some of the other veteran players and apart from 2012 leading up to a potential trade never really has overall when his play clearly dictated he should shoulder a significant amount of the blame.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you did here. Poke the Brown bear with suck/trade rumors and he takes over. He must read the posts here.

Good job! :heh:

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for play. Does anyone remember me criticizing Brown around 2010/2011? Then xis would troll me. I didn't see it in Brown back then and then he went off since that 2012 trade deadline. He tied Kopitar in goals and assists that 2012 run. So I was happy with just winning it, and let it all go.

Ha! I'm 100% more of a troll in person than I am on the boards. Ask Puck, if he remembers. Been to a couple of games with him and BigSerge from the ESPN boards way back in the day when I had season seats with my cousin. Used to give Serge a hard time back then too.

In truth I don't know why everyone is so hard on Brown. I never saw him as a 30 goal a year guy. I never expected him stand up for his team mates in a fight. I know Puck will argue that he should have and I respect that opinion but I think getting his ass kicked would do more harm than good. He was the best hitter on the team for years and often stepped up that way. I guess I just had much lower expectations of him than other fans.

To me he was a young kid drafted by this team with a speech impermanent who early on in his career was bullied/made fun of by a team mate and rose to captain his team to 2 cups. Yeah is salary is steep and his play has declined but damn the dude has at least 20 goals and 40 + points in the last two seasons. I can think of at least 3 or 4 other players on the team I would hold more accountable for the horrible play and one of them is the current captain making a lot more money.