• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why are people still interested in hiring Belichick's assistants as coaches?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* Romeo Crennel
* Eric Mangini
* Josh McDaniels
* Bill O'Brien

The "Hoody tree" not looking so hot.

Yes, you have Nick Saban in the college ranks. But when Charlie Weis went to Notre Dame, it didn't turn out so well, so that's a wash.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know but they are popular.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess 33-47 isnt a bad coaching record for Eric Mangini

Considering he was coaching the Browns and Jets

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoody until recently has not really made a serious effort to prepare coaches for when they leave NE according to the hit article. That much isn't terribly unlikely to me. These aren't bad minds, they haven't turned out as HC's.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in some cases they are classic assistant who can't be lead dog types, like Crennel.

O'Brien so far may be the most successful, which isn't saying much. He has gone a step further and hired former Pats players as assistants. Mike Vrabel seems like a solid up and coming assistant, but O'Brien already had to fire Larry Izzo as special teams coordinator. Izzo was quite possibly the dumbest dude I ever heard interviewed for a coach. It was like holding a microphone up to a slab of shale rock or something. Dude was seriously retarded.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* Romeo Crennel
* Eric Mangini
* Josh McDaniels
* Bill O'Brien

Yes, you have Nick Saban in the college ranks. But when Charlie Weis went to Notre Dame, it didn't turn out so well, so that's a wash.

Yeah, it's a tough gig.

That said, Mangini was not a terrible HC...just got caught up in the web that is the CLE Browns. Same with O'Brien...not sure if it was his idea to make that Osweiler signing, but hard to evaluate him w/o a QB.

McDaniels was given too much power too soon...should've have been working with an experienced GM...if so he might still be in DEN.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in some cases they are classic assistant who can't be lead dog types, like Crennel.

O'Brien so far may be the most successful, which isn't saying much. He has gone a step further and hired former Pats players as assistants. Mike Vrabel seems like a solid up and coming assistant, but O'Brien already had to fire Larry Izzo as special teams coordinator. Izzo was quite possibly the dumbest dude I ever heard interviewed for a coach. It was like holding a microphone up to a slab of shale rock or something. Dude was seriously retarded.

And the highlight of Obriens' career is to go 9-7 in an awful division and get absolutely steamrolled in the postseason

God I hate Bill Obrien

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am definitely not sold on O'Brien, but he has taken his team to the playoffs twice, and this past year, Deshaun Watson, JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus all got hurt, which was brutal.

The big knock on him prior to Watson blowing up is that, for a supposed offensive guru, his offenses were crap.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am definitely not sold on O'Brien, but he has taken his team to the playoffs twice, and this past year, Deshaun Watson, JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus all got hurt, which was brutal.

The big knock on him prior to Watson blowing up is that, for a supposed offensive guru, his offenses were crap.

Exactly, and for what its worth, he had to make a decision on Keenum or Savage

One of them may be in the SB this season

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

u cant make beef stew without the beef (qb):suds:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoody until recently has not really made a serious effort to prepare coaches for when they leave NE according to the hit article. That much isn't terribly unlikely to me. These aren't bad minds, they haven't turned out as HC's.

His guys that leave for coordinator jobs haven't really faired well either, notably McDaniels. Seems to be all about the Belichick filter/system.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess 33-47 isnt a bad coaching record for Eric Mangini

Considering he was coaching the Browns and Jets

Leave the Browns alone dammit! What have they done recently to deserve any ridicule? Please, don't mention the obvious.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB's comparative advantage may not be so much his coaching skills as his ability to recognize and draft talent that fits his particular coaching schemes.

BB with little say in a team's draft, FA, and trade selections is likely not nearly as successful.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* Romeo Crennel
* Eric Mangini
* Josh McDaniels
* Bill O'Brien

Well, B.B. has the greatest QB of all time behind center, so that helps. Maybe if Eric and Josh could have taken Tom with them they'd still be head coaches.

:skip:

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but too be honest belicheat is in the top 5 coaches in NFL history. He may be on the top of that list. But, trading garapolo out from under belicheat was a rotten move. Garappolo i's the real deal

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all intents, most of these guys have taken jobs with teams that sucked and they were expected to flip them like a pancake and make them World Champs. Problem is that they haven't inherited the top of the line talent.
Bill O'Brien literally saved Penn State and took on a an absolutely horrific Teaxans team. He's drafted well and rebuilt that team. Losing JJ and Whitney paralyzed the defense. Losing Watson did the same to the offensive.

I'll predict right now that if all three of Watson, JJ and Whitney last through 2018 and OB drafts as well as he has the past three years, that the Texans will be in the AFCCG in January 2019.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dominant tree in this league is Andy Reid's. He's pushing 1/3 of the league now.