• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Why are people obsessed with Michael Jordan?

Why are people obsessed with Michael Jordan?

• They are brainwashed by Nike

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • They are dumb

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • They should be obsessed, he is the GOAT

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • They have a mental disorder

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • They aren't obsessed, only SJ76 is

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Macaroni Salad

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the best athlete in the league, was competitive in the worst sort of way, and basically went out there and played with road rage.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock makes a point. If you can get people that aren't a fan of the team you are on to watch just to see what you are going to do next, that is greatness. I'm a diehard Colts fan, but my favorite NFL player of all time is Deion Sanders because whether INT, Punt or Kick returning, or even playing offense you knew a show was about to happen and I made it a point to watch every game he played in.
People live to watch Magic and show time. IMO Jordan was a great player, the G.O.A.T I don't think so. If people had the chance to watch Oscar Robertson and Elgin Baylor, they would have loved the way they played the game. Some say Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain were the greatest of all time, but IMO Oscar Robertson was G.O.A.T.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People live to watch Magic and show time. IMO Jordan was a great player, the G.O.A.T I don't think so. If people had the chance to watch Oscar Robertson and Elgin Baylor, they would have loved the way they played the game. Some say Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain were the greatest of all time, but IMO Oscar Robertson was G.O.A.T.

Considering your screen name, that's kind of on the nose isn't it?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bill Russell is horrifically overrated

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Russell is horrifically overrated

Not necessarily. It depends on the context.

If we're talking greatest of all time, he's definitely overrated. I wouldn't say horrifically because he has a lot of rings and played a very important role in all of them. He even got a ring as a player/coach. However, in today's game, he's probably Al Horford with less offense and more defense.

But, if we're talking greatest of his era, he is definitely in that discussion.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. It depends on the context.

If we're talking greatest of all time, he's definitely overrated. I wouldn't say horrifically because he has a lot of rings and played a very important role in all of them. He even got a ring as a player/coach. However, in today's game, he's probably Al Horford with less offense and more defense.

But, if we're talking greatest of his era, he is definitely in that discussion.

I mean overrated when we are naming off top ten players of all time

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean overrated when we are naming off top ten players of all time

Definitely agree with that.

It's funny, I'm old enough to remember when Bill Russell was pretty much universally considered the GOAT and there was little to no argument against it. The argument (probably driven by those sinister Celtics fans) was that his 9 rings trumped everybody.

Then along came MJ and a serious argument developed between MJ and Russell.

Now? Russell doesn't even make a lot of top 10 lists anymore, most consider MJ the GOAT with Magic or Kareem as #2 and Kareem seems to be getting more and more traction as possibly the GOAT.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely agree with that.

It's funny, I'm old enough to remember when Bill Russell was pretty much universally considered the GOAT and there was little to no argument against it. The argument (probably driven by those sinister Celtics fans) was that his 9 rings trumped everybody.

Then along came MJ and a serious argument developed between MJ and Russell.

Now? Russell doesn't even make a lot of top 10 lists anymore, most consider MJ the GOAT with Magic or Kareem as #2 and Kareem seems to be getting more and more traction as possibly the GOAT.

His offensive numbers are pretty bad considering he played against very few people that could deal with him physically

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering your screen name, that's kind of on the nose isn't it?
I got the chance to see many great NBA players living in Los Angeles in my younger days. Jordan and Magic played in a different era. Magic was such a great player who could play all 5 positions. When I look back at who was the G.O.A.T, it still comes down to Oscar Robertson with Magic and Jordan coming in a close second. JMHO.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His offensive numbers are pretty bad considering he played against very few people that could deal with him physically

This is true.

To be fair to him though, those Celtics teams in his era were stacked. In fact, considering how few teams there were at the time, those teams were more stacked than any stacked team we've seen in the modern era. I think some of those teams had hall of famers coming off the bench.

So, scoring wasn't something they needed from him. I don't know if he would have been able to provide if they did (he probably would have), but it just wasn't what they needed from him.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true.

To be fair to him though, those Celtics teams in his era were stacked. In fact, considering how few teams there were at the time, those teams were more stacked than any stacked team we've seen in the modern era. I think some of those teams had hall of famers coming off the bench.

So, scoring wasn't something they needed from him. I don't know if he would have been able to provide if they did (he probably would have), but it just wasn't what they needed from him.
Damn good point.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's that whole GOAT thing, although I personally have Magic Johnson as my favorite player of all time and right there with MJ.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's that whole GOAT thing, although I personally have Magic Johnson as my favorite player of all time and right there with MJ.

Oh if its about favorite players, MJ, Lebron, Larry Bird and Bill Russell don't even make my top 50

Big Shot Robert Horry makes my top 5