• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's your top choice for the draft?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is right around the corner. The approach of the Sox brass, as with the Bears in football, is to go with the BPA. However, who they determine to be the BPA is anyone's guess. They have a penchant for liking MLB-ready college arms, but won't say no to a solid positional player if available either. While there are some tempting and talented prep players deserving recognition, I'm going strictly with the college crowd because I think the Sox would like to have their choice ready to contribute by 2020. Accordingly, here is my top 5 BPA list.

Casey Mize, RHP Auburn - This righty is at the moment the #1 prospect in the draft and is expected by just about everyone to be taken by Detroit, who holds the top pick. So I'm not going to waste any time discussing the pluses/minuses on him. He will not be there when the Sox make their selection.

Nick Madrigal, 2B/SS Oregon St - He's a shorty but don't let his 5'7" 160 lb frame fool you. He is without question the best pure hitter in the draft and considered the best in many years. Doesn't have a lot of power, altho he can leave the yard now and then. But he possesses great bat instincts (how many hitters these days actually have more walks than strikeouts), is speedy and is a solid defender. The one problem may be that his best position is 2B, currently held by another former super high prospect. But if BPA is the criteria, position be damned, then this may and perhaps should be our guy.

Brady Singer, RHP Florida - Until midway thru this current season, he was the #1 guy on the prospect board. Time-tested, durable, good pitcher's 'body'. He throws in the mid-90's, has a good slider and changeup to make for a solid three-pitch mix. It would be hard to pass on him if he's still there at 4.

Jonathan India, 3B Florida - One of the fastest risers this year, he has put together a really nice all around game. Plays excellent D, is one of the best hitters coming into the draft with tremendous plate discipline, and has some nice pop in his bat. I'd have zero problems if he is our pick.

Logan Gilbert, RHP Stetson - While MLB only has him ranked at #16, there is little to dislike about this kid. Another with a good pitcher's 'body', his FB can hit the mid-high 90's, plus he has an assortment of breaking pitches to add to a consistent arsenal. He's had a fantastic year keeping hitters at bay and is worthy of a high selection - maybe not at 4, but I wouldn't express any concern at all if we nabbed him.

Honorable mentions:

Alec Bohm, 3B Wichita St - I almost have to include him in the conversation because his name has been linked to the Sox #4 pick more than pretty much anyone else. Probably because he is likely the top HR bopper in this draft and is generally a pretty damn good hitter to boot. My problem with him is he's not a very good 3b and many analysts expect him to end up as a DH or 1B at best. If we're going to take a positional player, I want him to be both a good hitter, and yes power is a nice plus, but he also needs to play great defense. I'm tired of our shitty-ass defense.

Joey Bart, C Georgia Tech - Best catcher in the draft, considered pretty much MLB-ready. Big body, strong throwing arm, strong bat. So why is he only an honorable mention, despite manning one of the most important positions in the game? Easy, he's expected to be selected by the Giants at #2, so I doubt we'll see him on the board when we pick. Now if by chance he's there........?

Carter Stewart, RHP Eau Gallie HS - So here's my token HS selection because you never know. Tall, strong flame thrower with good command and a breaking ball that matches up with anyone's in this draft. Again tho, he's still in high school and the chances of seeing him in Sox colors would probably not happen until 2022 at the earliest. Does the team have such patience with their fist pick? My guess is no.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're pretty committed to Moncada/Robert in the middle infield. Took Burger at 3B last year.

Most guys with knowledge saying we like Singer. With a backup plan of taking this Nicholas Schnell high school kid from Indiana (OF) who is suddenly a huge thing.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem if we take Singer. None at all. But if I had a first amongst equals, it would be Madrigal. BTW, I'm not sold on Burger. Two injuries within a short time to the same achilles heel makes for one nervous LSD. So taking India would be just fine by me. We'll groom Jake for DH/backup 3B.

And isn't Robert an OF only? Honestly, don't know, it's a genuine question. But I've never heard or read anything suggesting that he would play somewhere other than outfield.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem if we take Singer. None at all. But if I had a first amongst equals, it would be Madrigal. BTW, I'm not sold on Burger. Two injuries within a short time to the same achilles heel makes for one nervous LSD. So taking India would be just fine by me. We'll groom Jake for DH/backup 3B.

And isn't Robert an OF only? Honestly, don't know, it's a genuine question. But I've never heard or read anything suggesting that he would play somewhere other than outfield.

Yeah, that was a brain fart. He was a SS in Cuba and I remember we transitioned him 99.9% of the time. lol. In that moment, I forgot.

Burger's had injuries, but you don't tend to give up on a 1st round pick already by the following draft. He's still ranked as a top 100 overall prospect. I agree, it's worrisome. I won't deny that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not so much that I've given up on Jake, but even you just said it, we have to be concerned that he may not completely bounce back. I never give up on any player in our organization until he proves otherwise. That's certainly not the case with Jake - the poor guy hasn't really had his shot yet. I do worry however that we may be looking at the baseball version of Kevin White. Let's hope not - let's hope both rebound nicely for that matter.

In the meantime tho, I completely understand if the Sox believe at the very least we need a Plan B by drafting someone like India. It would be more than understandable.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 picks in and Singer is still on the board. He's gotta be bummed. Wonder what word went out that's causing him to sink.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Singer slipped all the way to the Royals at #18 (I think they have 5 of the top 50 picks in this draft). Surprised he fell so far. The other big drop was Matthew Liberatore, the top rated high schooler, ranked 4th on MLB.com. Either these two are potential steals or they were overhyped from day one. Or maybe a little bit of each.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good value in the 2nd round:

Steele Walker (what a name), OF Oklahoma - Ranked #30 on the MLB draft list, so it's a nice snag at 46. Better than average bat whose stats have improved in each of his three years on the team. Strikes out a bit much, but also does a fine job at drawing walks, which indicates some patience at the plate. While all other factors of his game rate average as far as projecting major league talent, he is considered one of the best hitters in the draft when switching to wooden bats.

We have a crowded outfield in prospect talent, so unless he tears it up in low A ball and quickly moves up the ladder, I wouldn't expect to see much of this kid until 2021/2022 at best. Possible trade bait down the road.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only pick from day 2 that has impressed me in terms of being a potential sleeper is 4th rounder and high schooler Lency Delgado, SS Doral Academy, FL. He will likely be brought in as a 3b. Excellent glove, but apparently not the best hitter out there. I always appreciate good defense. I think it's easier to teach players how to hit better vs how to do likewise with the D.