• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's willing to give up a first round pick for

stilla9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Wallace? I know I would. He is a restricted FA and any team can bid for him. Pitt would have to match the offer, but they are already 11 mill. over there cap. If Pitt cannot match the offer, the team that won the bidding would have to give up this year first round pick.

To me we have to at least make an offer. How many WRs coming out of this years draft do you think will be better than him?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd rather spend less, keep the first round pick and be happy with someone like colston. then we might even be able to grab lloyd and have the combined salaries be what it would take to sign wallace.

it would be 3 for the price of 1. i really dont think wallace is worth potentially 3 starters. he's not gonna have the impact of say owens at the same age or even fitz

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Depends on what they tag him. Could be a first or a first and third I believe

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends on how they view the first round of the draft. If wr is high on the list, then of course I'd rather give up a 1st for Wallace vs any of these rookies (including Blackmon). You know exactly what you're going to get from Wallace, any of the rookies have some question marks. Wallace has been a dominate NFL wr, there shouldn't even be a question.

I really can't see how they wouldn't look at a player like Wallace, accompanied with our wr problems, as being worth a 1st round pick? That would be horrid thinking on the front office's part.

:nod:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can go after other wr's and keep our pick. why even bother looking at wallace?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he's an NFL star that plays a position of dire need for us. Picks have no guarantees of panning out, especially at #30.

so, keep the pick, sign another wr

win win

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u dont get it. sign colston, we keep our 1st rounder

win win

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Even though I'm mostly opposed to signing any big FA WRs here's how I see it:

A WR like Colston + a draft pick like Konz or Dwayne Allen + some more money > Wallace. It's not an enornous difference, but I give the edge to the former.

If it were Calvin Johnson I'd say to heck with the first rounder plus another one plus a couple more picks if necessary. Wallace is a great WR, but he's not quite that super-elite kind of WR like Andre or Calvin or Fitz (or AJ Green soon IMO) for whom I'd give up a first rounder.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough one. I like Wallace better than any other possible FA (barely over Bowe).

Just because guys like Colston and Vincent Jackson hit FA doesn't mean they are going to sign with us. It's not like any WR is guaranteed to sign with us, unless we over pay. Would you rather have an over paid Colston and our late 1st round pick? The argument that some are trying to make against Wallace doesn't exactly mean we get to keep our pick and sign a guy like Colston or VJ.

Then again, if can get a FA WR at a decent price, then maybe it's a better option to keep our pick and add a WR or 2 through FA. It's a bit more of a gamble to expect us to get one of the big names, though. I actually don't think we get any big name FA other than possibly Garcon or Maechem. That seems to be more of Baalke's FA strategy.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not just about Baalke's FA strategy. You have to look at the whole picture... Players get bonuses for reaching incentives in their contracts. How many agents would convince an elite Wr to sign with a team that has a QB who only threw for 17 TDs? How many would want or even consider coming to a team that is run heavy and one of the worse teams in the red zone? I dont think most of us are being realistic... I would be shocked if they sign any receiver that is considered one of the top 10. Drafting guys who are hungry and humble just to make it to this level, is probably the best route to go?...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not just about Baalke's FA strategy. You have to look at the whole picture... Players get bonuses for reaching incentives in their contracts. How many agents would convince an elite Wr to sign with a team that has a QB who only threw for 17 TDs? How many would want or even consider coming to a team that is run heavy and one of the worse teams in the red zone? I dont think most of us are being realistic... I would be shocked if they sign any receiver that is considered one of the top 10. Drafting guys who are hungry and humble just to make it to this level, is probably the best route to go?...

Well, that's true as well. That just adds to the list of reasons why it will be hard for us to get what is considered to be one of the top WR's in FA.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I say go to the draft for WRs. Reuben Randle would be great a great fit for the Niners IMO.