• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's dumb enough

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to pull out a 5 iron from 190 with a shitty lie in dripping wet grass about 5 yards left of a water hazard? GOHUSK IS! What happens? Club face gets caught up and the ball goes 20 yards right into the damn hazard. Pathetic. You can save a lot of money on golf balls if you just leave the ego in the bag and just hit the fucking wedge inside 80 with a good angle on the ball.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, the clarity of hindsight in golf!

On Friday I was on the killer par 5 14th at Rockledge after a decent drive. I had 220yds of carry to clear the hazard and make the front of the bank just short of the green.

Well I PURED the 3 wood and hit the front bank. Knocked it up on the green for a birdie putt....that I missed but it was a cinch par. The layup would have left me 150yds out.

The Lord hates a coward Husk!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to pull out a 5 iron from 190 with a shitty lie in dripping wet grass about 5 yards left of a water hazard? GOHUSK IS! What happens? Club face gets caught up and the ball goes 20 yards right into the damn hazard. Pathetic. You can save a lot of money on golf balls if you just leave the ego in the bag and just hit the fucking wedge inside 80 with a good angle on the ball.

Playing for bogey or at least realizing bogey is better than dbl can be one of the hardest parts of the game to learn....I've got enough bruised scorecards to prove it!

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't practice that shot at the range?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, the clarity of hindsight in golf!

On Friday I was on the killer par 5 14th at Rockledge after a decent drive. I had 220yds of carry to clear the hazard and make the front of the bank just short of the green.

Well I PURED the 3 wood and hit the front bank. Knocked it up on the green for a birdie putt....that I missed but it was a cinch par. The layup would have left me 150yds out.

The Lord hates a coward Husk!

Well, if it was yellow...I might've laid up...but red and I could at least hit the bank on the other side...I probably go for it every time.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't practice that shot at the range?

I was out of the wet sod I usually bring with me for a while so I didn't have a chance to practice that one for a while. Sad thing is that it's my home course, I live in Seattle (play a lot of wet golf come autumn) and have done the same thing at least 20 times before. I was having problems getting the club face through on the practice swing just brushing it and the ball was buried in it. You could only see white if you were looking straight down. I'm surprised that the pile of balls that I've sunk trying that shot hasn't formed an island in the middle of the hazard yet.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing for bogey or at least realizing bogey is better than dbl can be one of the hardest parts of the game to learn....I've got enough bruised scorecards to prove it!

Yeah. I was playing disciplined the entire round as well. Just gave in to my ego on 17.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I was playing disciplined the entire round as well. Just gave in to my ego on 17.

I think to really drive your scores lower you have to take a few risks if you have the lie etc....I have one guy I play with, not a long hitter, he rarely ever and I mean ever plays outside his skillset. He's a solid 86-90 player, but he has been that way for 3-4 yrs now....competitive, but I'm driving like I've been lately I take him.

I'm finally giving in to the bermuda rough though...any major (180+) forced carry I have started to pitch out or laid up...if it's sitting down I can't dig it out...that's where most of my scars have come from trying shots out of bad lies.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had another bone-head move on the exact same hole. So hit my 3 off the tee, hits a tree, gets knocked down, and I'm looking at like 180 to the hole with a couple of trees right in front of me. There's a window but the straight line is right into the same hazard. I could pitch out to 100 (I got a real good 100 yard shot), but I decide to hit a snap draw with my 4 (I can actually get a lot of bend on that) into a tight, low window to see what kind of roll-out I can get. So I hit it, hit the left tree square, and if it weren't for my ninja-like reflexes I would have taken it right on the bridge of the nose. I'm playing nothing but conservative when it comes to 17 at the home course from now on. Sad thing is it's one of the easiest holes on the course.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had another bone-head move on the exact same hole. So hit my 3 off the tee, hits a tree, gets knocked down, and I'm looking at like 180 to the hole with a couple of trees right in front of me. There's a window but the straight line is right into the same hazard. I could pitch out to 100 (I got a real good 100 yard shot), but I decide to hit a snap draw with my 4 (I can actually get a lot of bend on that) into a tight, low window to see what kind of roll-out I can get. So I hit it, hit the left tree square, and if it weren't for my ninja-like reflexes I would have taken it right on the bridge of the nose. I'm playing nothing but conservative when it comes to 17 at the home course from now on. Sad thing is it's one of the easiest holes on the course.

Whoa...I've hit plenty of trees trying to split the uprights, but never had one boomerang on me.

We have a course here...risk/reward driveable par 4...about 280 from our normal tees. Dogleg right, hazard all the way up the right. A Redan style green. Fairway bunker on the corner of the dogleg.

The smart play is a 5i off the tee and a wedge to the green...but the green is so hard to hold because it slope away from you...you have to hit the front quarter of the green basically to hold a shot, so the effective green is only about 15yds deep. Unless you have a really strong short game or wedge shot, most people playing it safe make bogey.

Talking about conservative...after years of trying to play it safe, I take 3w or driver every time now....rarely make birdie, but having that extra shot around the green makes it a fairly easy hole to make par on. I've even made par from the hazard a few times.

In that case you're facing...I'm a lot more willing to layup now and try to get up and down from 100-125 yds...I've gotten better with my wedges so most of the time I'll still have a 30' or less putt for par...but like I said...learning to accept bogey keeps doubles off the card.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Risk vs reward man

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this thread was titled "Who's DRUNK enough..."

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@gohusk

Couldn't follow my own advice.

Last week...short par 5...90 deg dogleg right, tee shot is a long narrow chute about 180 yds to a fairly wide landing area about 50' below the tee.

I try to cut one and hit a tree on the left about 150 yds ahead. Marked with red stakes so I could have taken the distance...instead I re-tee and do the same fucking thing..same tree even...so I decide to take my distance this time, and put my 5th shot into the fairway and went on to card a snowman!

89...Lost to my playing partner by 2 shots.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@gohusk

Couldn't follow my own advice.

Last week...short par 5...90 deg dogleg right, tee shot is a long narrow chute about 180 yds to a fairly wide landing area about 50' below the tee.

I try to cut one and hit a tree on the left about 150 yds ahead. Marked with red stakes so I could have taken the distance...instead I re-tee and do the same fucking thing..same tree even...so I decide to take my distance this time, and put my 5th shot into the fairway and went on to card a snowman!

89...Lost to my playing partner by 2 shots.

I've learned my lesson. I'm sucking up the pride and taking the yards unless unless there's a good reason not to.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've learned my lesson. I'm sucking up the pride and taking the yards unless unless there's a good reason not to.

There was no good reason not to take the distance....purely a heat of the moment brain fart...I was not going to put my 3rd in any better position hitting from the tee again.

It's very intimidating off the tee with the long chute to hit thru, but the fairway is about 50 yds wide...you just can't see much of it. I normally play this hole well...this time the hole won.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I turned 50 this year and have dramatically changed my golf strategy. On par 3's and 5's I am still playing for par. but on all par 4's I treat them as bogey holes. With that mindset, I'm amazed at how many makeable one putt par opportunities I still have. Not saying i make them all. Haha

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I turned 50 this year and have dramatically changed my golf strategy. On par 3's and 5's I am still playing for par. but on all par 4's I treat them as bogey holes. With that mindset, I'm amazed at how many makeable one putt par opportunities I still have. Not saying i make them all. Haha

I'm kind of the same, but i just try to make a five on every hole, figure that good enough for bogey golf. if I par or birdie a few holes then I'm shooting low to mid 80's. Supposed to keep me from doing stupid shit, but it doesn't.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Congrats on half a century and AARP! LOL

That's mid high 80s golf...nothing wrong with that!

It's all about the tee ball...get it in play, and I'm thinking par or better, if I'm hitting it sideways, in the woods, etc...no more hero shots...put it back in play and play for bogey....better than dbl or worse.