• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Would You Rather Have Backing Up Big Ben?

Who Would You Rather Have Backing Up Big Ben?

• Total voters

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's discuss!

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason/Lynch/Duck.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To go further:

Jameis is rostered already, so it's irrelevant.

Cam sucks, and would be expensive.

Red Rocket sucks, and is a never was.

Cap is tight, the backup has to be cheap. So it's gonna be one of the guys on the roster already, or some surprise UDFA out of camp.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To go further:

Jameis is rostered already, so it's irrelevant.

Cam sucks, and would be expensive.

Red Rocket sucks, and is a never was.

Cap is tight, the backup has to be cheap. So it's gonna be one of the guys on the roster already, or some surprise UDFA out of camp.

Agreed on Dalton.

I wouldn't say Cam sucks, because he hasn't been fully healthy for about two years, partially due to the lack of care by the training staff in Carolina. I think Cam can still be really good, but 2015 Cam was a one-off fluke so whoever signs him should not expect 2015 Cam to make an appearance.

My whole thing here is we haven't given Mason or Duck enough time to develop. We are judging them based on a terribly hard year last year where they were both forced into a starting role neither one was prepared to take, nor should they have been prepared for it. I think Mason and Duck can both develop into a QB of the future. It's gonna take time though. We can't rightfully judge them on last year.

Jameis was a never option for me. Never wanted him here and don't believe he's a good fit here. Don't trust him and he's not a winner so, no thanks.

What bothers me about the current QB situation right now is we got 5, Obviously Ben and Mason are making the final roster. Duck will more likely than not be the 3rd string. Leaving Lynch and Barrett to fight it out for the PS spot.

Free Agent QBs are not very good right now. The likes of Blake Bortles and Trevor Siemian are probably your best cheap options.

I'm fine with sticking it out with Mason and Duck. I believe that Mason can grow and develop and I've thought this since we drafted him. Not to mention, the guy already knows our playbook, already knows the offense so he doesn't need to take the time to learn all that. He just needs to sit and learn behind a future HoFer and 2 time SB winning QB. So my vote is for Mason Rudolph.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone but mason or duck, we lsot a season because of them...........

again i'll ask......cam whose made his living being mobile........has feet issues........

cam whose never been a good passer has recent throwing arm issues............

And hes aging............

Hes clearly a hot commodity...................

you also dont trust jameis, hes not a winner........
c01-fsu-08.jpg

whats cam won again? about the same as jameis. i seem to remember him actually NOT TRYING to get a fumble in the superbowl, yep hes a winner folks!

But the training staff in pittsburgh's gonna juice him up and hes gonna be ay 'ok

dalton or jameis all day..........we absolutely CANNOT wast that D..........the bears did last year , and so did we........that window will shut ever so fast. You wanna let guys develop then fine. But you dont develop a guy when your in win now mode.......when you have a short window of an elite D. If mason or duck havent taken about 234 steps forward from last year, and ben gets hurt, season lost. Also that D will start to tail off.........will be good, not great..........

If we had anyone, halfway competent last year were in the playoffs with EASE, and were winning games.....that d was just nasty, if we coulda score 3 morepoints a game.......

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jameis was a never option for me. Never wanted him here and don't believe he's a good fit here. Don't trust him and he's not a winner so, no thanks.

He won a BCS national championship, a Heisman trophy.. all while basically blind, and now he's had LASIK

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stealing @SteelersPride's take from last season...

For the "Mason wasn't ready last year" crowd...

How many rookies, 2nd yr, or UDFAs even, stepped into the starting role last year and had instant success? And how many of those rookies were taken AFTER the 3rd Rd? Without looking it up, I'm positive that almost every single one of them last year were drafted AFTER the round Mason was. Or at least the vast majority.

Some of them may have had their struggles, but comparing them to Mason... Mason wasn't even close. He simply didn't measure up at any point to how those other guys played. Nothing of what we saw from Mason last year should have instilled ANY confidence to be optimistic about believing he could be a serviceable backup. I wouldn't even be confident saying he could become Landry Jones after 4-5 years of grooming. And how many of us even like Landry Jones? lol.

I want to give Mason the benefit of the doubt... I really do, but I just don't see it. The kid proved very little last year. He looked like a scared deer in the pocket, and all of his mechanics went out the window. He became a single read dump-off artist... As soon as he finished his 3-5 step drop he was immediately looking to the LOS for his release valve. And all this was BEFORE he took that shot to the face from Earl Thomas. I'll admit, during the preseason last year I thought Mason was the real deal. He was slinging it all over the field with ease. But as soon as he lined up week 4 he was DOA. I have no idea what happened to the preseason version of Mason, but it was long gone.

I don't know how fans are rationalizing Mason's future... We went from hailing a UDFA QB in Duck Hodges after 4-5 games of Mason's terrible play, to thinking Paxton Lynch could be the answer, to begging for them to bring in a backup QB, to now thinking: "I'm feeling confident in Mason" once again. WTH?

Right now Mason looks like a turd in the punch-bowl to me.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he was a "never was", but if they could land Dalton on a $1m deal for a 1-yr loaner... I'd call that a big win for a team that failed to provide ANY competition for the backup role.

I'm all in on Ben this year, and had no problem with them not drafting a QB... But I was hoping they'd at least bring in a FA.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dalton just signed with Dallas.

No way Cam takes backup money.

Let's pray Ben doesn't get hurt.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton just signed with Dallas.

No way Cam takes backup money.

Let's pray Ben doesn't get hurt.
1 yr contract worth up to $7m, but only $3m guaranteed... Too rich for the Steelers who are currently sitting just barely north of getting all of their rookies under contract.

They would have needed to restructure someone to free up the space for Dalton. And arguably, the $1.1m that Winston would have required.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone but mason or duck, we lsot a season because of them...........

again i'll ask......cam whose made his living being mobile........has feet issues........

cam whose never been a good passer has recent throwing arm issues............

And hes aging............

Hes clearly a hot commodity...................

you also dont trust jameis, hes not a winner........
c01-fsu-08.jpg

whats cam won again? about the same as jameis. i seem to remember him actually NOT TRYING to get a fumble in the superbowl, yep hes a winner folks!

But the training staff in pittsburgh's gonna juice him up and hes gonna be ay 'ok

dalton or jameis all day..........we absolutely CANNOT wast that D..........the bears did last year , and so did we........that window will shut ever so fast. You wanna let guys develop then fine. But you dont develop a guy when your in win now mode.......when you have a short window of an elite D. If mason or duck havent taken about 234 steps forward from last year, and ben gets hurt, season lost. Also that D will start to tail off.........will be good, not great..........

If we had anyone, halfway competent last year were in the playoffs with EASE, and were winning games.....that d was just nasty, if we coulda score 3 morepoints a game.......

So, just to get this straight. You think what Jameis did in college 6 years ago is good enough to pay him to learn and lose all his bad habits? What he's done since then is just, what, forgotten about?

1 winning season in 5 years, just forgotten about.
30 INTs last year, just forgotten about.
No playoff experience, just forgotten about.

I try to stay civil with you but you just come at me out of the game with this fucking attitude and then you say STUPID shit like "whats cam won again? about the same as jameis." Like, are you for real?

Cam has won more games than Jameis. He's won an MVP, he's been to the playoffs, he's won playoff games, he's played in a conference title game, he's won an NFC title, he's played in a Super Bowl. Like, are you serious right now?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won a BCS national championship, a Heisman trophy.. all while basically blind, and now he's had LASIK

How has his BCS title and Heisman Trophy award helped him in the NFL?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
terry isnt good at backing up comments

Says the guy who asked "whats cam won? about the same as jameis."

I'm completely fine with someone who thinks like you thinking I'm not good at backing up comments.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stealing @SteelersPride's take from last season...

For the "Mason wasn't ready last year" crowd...

How many rookies, 2nd yr, or UDFAs even, stepped into the starting role last year and had instant success? And how many of those rookies were taken AFTER the 3rd Rd? Without looking it up, I'm positive that almost every single one of them last year were drafted AFTER the round Mason was. Or at least the vast majority.

Some of them may have had their struggles, but comparing them to Mason... Mason wasn't even close. He simply didn't measure up at any point to how those other guys played. Nothing of what we saw from Mason last year should have instilled ANY confidence to be optimistic about believing he could be a serviceable backup. I wouldn't even be confident saying he could become Landry Jones after 4-5 years of grooming. And how many of us even like Landry Jones? lol.

I want to give Mason the benefit of the doubt... I really do, but I just don't see it. The kid proved very little last year. He looked like a scared deer in the pocket, and all of his mechanics went out the window. He became a single read dump-off artist... As soon as he finished his 3-5 step drop he was immediately looking to the LOS for his release valve. And all this was BEFORE he took that shot to the face from Earl Thomas. I'll admit, during the preseason last year I thought Mason was the real deal. He was slinging it all over the field with ease. But as soon as he lined up week 4 he was DOA. I have no idea what happened to the preseason version of Mason, but it was long gone.

I don't know how fans are rationalizing Mason's future... We went from hailing a UDFA QB in Duck Hodges after 4-5 games of Mason's terrible play, to thinking Paxton Lynch could be the answer, to begging for them to bring in a backup QB, to now thinking: "I'm feeling confident in Mason" once again. WTH?

Right now Mason looks like a turd in the punch-bowl to me.

Who was your vote for?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the guy who asked "whats cam won? about the same as jameis."

I'm completely fine with someone who thinks like you thinking I'm not good at backing up comments.
exactly u dimwit.......u failed to see the complete irony and idiocy of the comment. Clearly you still do.
How has his BCS title and Heisman Trophy award helped him in the NFL?
how has it helped cam?
So, just to get this straight. You think what Jameis did in college 6 years ago is good enough to pay him to learn and lose all his bad habits? What he's done since then is just, what, forgotten about?

1 winning season in 5 years, just forgotten about.
30 INTs last year, just forgotten about.
No playoff experience, just forgotten about.

I try to stay civil with you but you just come at me out of the game with this fucking attitude and then you say STUPID shit like "whats cam won again? about the same as jameis." Like, are you for real?

Cam has won more games than Jameis. He's won an MVP, he's been to the playoffs, he's won playoff games, he's played in a conference title game, he's won an NFC title, he's played in a Super Bowl. Like, are you serious right now?
really your going with the won more games argument.......and hes won an mvp with his legs. i didnt think u had much beyond a long winded reply saying nothing, called it.