• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Steps In For Coach Drake?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe...Ray Sherman

2019 Offseason Questions: How Long Will Ray Sherman Stay On Board With Steelers? - Steelers Depot

This is a fairly young group of players in the WR room...losing their position coach mid season, somebody needs to step in and head up that group. Maybe they will reach out to coach Mann but for the last day or so coach Sherman has been helping out Blaine Stewart.

I've heard Hinds Ward name mentioned, but he's on the Jets staff I think...I like the older presence that Sherman brings.

We shall see.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Mann seems like the ideal candidate, if he's willing. If not then I would love to see Hines Ward take the job. Hines is doing an intern job with the Jets, so it's not as if he's married to them. He doesn't have any official experience, but he's been appearing at Steelers practices ever since he retired and he constantly coached up the young guys. Hines would bring a lot of energy to the group, and he genuinely cares about the guys & the team being successful. I know these vet coaches haven't necessarily worked out in the past, but Hines is built different.

Wouldn't be upset with Sherman stepping in permanently. He just doesn't have the "successful" resume to his name, but ample amounts of experience. Good guy from what I've read so he would certainly fill that mentor/father-figure role that they are now devoid of within that young group. Moncrief is the closest thing they have to a vet, and he's only 26 years old. They desperately need someone with football & life experience.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also gotta say this... The way the Steelers are handling this feels very reminiscent of Dan Rooney.

We tend to forget that the NFL is a train that stops for nothing or nobody, it doesn't slow down, ever. So it's very easy for teams to make decisions that appear inhumane or out-of-touch with reality or doesn't appeal to the fanbase. Majority of the league would have tried to move on in order to refocus their team, but not the Steelers. The Steelers are in touch with humanity. In their ever-pursuit of Lombardi trophies this team always makes the appropriate decisions when it comes to the connection involving their players, coaches, scouts and office personnel. Really have to admire & respect their approach to this situation, as they claim to have a plan for the future but don't want to reveal it yet out of respect not only to the Drake family, but also to the players & staff who valued Darryl's presence so highly.

Tomlin will get the credit for being the face of the team through this tragic time, but this feels much more reminiscent of the Rooney Way, the Steeler Way.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Mann seems like the ideal candidate, if he's willing. If not then I would love to see Hines Ward take the job. Hines is doing an intern job with the Jets, so it's not as if he's married to them. He doesn't have any official experience, but he's been appearing at Steelers practices ever since he retired and he constantly coached up the young guys. Hines would bring a lot of energy to the group, and he genuinely cares about the guys & the team being successful. I know these vet coaches haven't necessarily worked out in the past, but Hines is built different.

Wouldn't be upset with Sherman stepping in permanently. He just doesn't have the "successful" resume to his name, but ample amounts of experience. Good guy from what I've read so he would certainly fill that mentor/father-figure role that they are now devoid of within that young group. Moncrief is the closest thing they have to a vet, and he's only 26 years old. They desperately need someone with football & life experience.

I'm pretty much in the same boat for preferences with Mann being at the head of the line. I actually wouldn't mind Ward long term...no he doesn't have a ton of coaching experience, but he's got a wealth of knowledge...an old school approach, yet young enough to relate to the current players.

Short term, I hope Sherman sticks around, even if in an assisting type role. With the WR room being so young in the wake of such a sudden loss, I think the father figure to lean on might help these younger players.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also gotta say this... The way the Steelers are handling this feels very reminiscent of Dan Rooney.

We tend to forget that the NFL is a train that stops for nothing or nobody, it doesn't slow down, ever. So it's very easy for teams to make decisions that appear inhumane or out-of-touch with reality or doesn't appeal to the fanbase. Majority of the league would have tried to move on in order to refocus their team, but not the Steelers. The Steelers are in touch with humanity. In their ever-pursuit of Lombardi trophies this team always makes the appropriate decisions when it comes to the connection involving their players, coaches, scouts and office personnel. Really have to admire & respect their approach to this situation, as they claim to have a plan for the future but don't want to reveal it yet out of respect not only to the Drake family, but also to the players & staff who valued Darryl's presence so highly.

Tomlin will get the credit for being the face of the team through this tragic time, but this feels much more reminiscent of the Rooney Way, the Steeler Way.

Yep...Tomlin might get that credit as you said, but he's been around this organization long enough now to have picked up on how the Rooney family approaches such matters and is walking in step with it...Certainly with a caring heart to the Drake family.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well interim still indicates they intend to fill the position, right? This is basically telling us what we already knew.

Exactly...I suppose they could've gotten somebody else, but it was always Sherman's interim gig to take or turn down I think.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely disgusted that the NFL didn't acknowledge Drake during the Honors tribute.

That's an inexcusable mistake.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...no decision made yet.

Seems like it will be soon?

NOTE: I love all the idiots that reply to the Dulac tweet asking why Ward is not the choice. Do these folks realize he is already a coach for another team?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like it will be soon?

NOTE: I love all the idiots that reply to the Dulac tweet asking why Ward is not the choice. Do these folks realize he is already a coach for another team?
Curious why Hines Ward wasn't considered?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL... Some fine reporting recently that indicated the choice was between Cotchery & McClendon.

Looks like a "Tomlin Tree" type hire. Someone he previously worked with in TB.

My question is, was he poached in a parallel move? Or did the 'Skin not renew his contract?

Yep...the insiders got that one wrong!

Good questions...I can see him wanting a change of scenery from DC with all the turnover they have coming with Rivera taking over. Maybe Rivera had his own guy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...the insiders got that one wrong!

Good questions...I can see him wanting a change of scenery from DC with all the turnover they have coming with Rivera taking over. Maybe Rivera had his own guy.
Good point. Almost forgot about the regime change.