• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is ready to bite some knee caps?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how you manufacture toughness!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
give me a minute and I'll be ready

See the source image

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That presser was hilarious.

And still stunned they didn't hire Bienemy. He'd work wonders with their offense and Staff's final years.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That presser was hilarious.

And still stunned they didn't hire Bienemy. He'd work wonders with their offense and Staff's final years.
Why would Bienemy be good?

Gimme the sales pitch.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a really bad feeling about both hires.. they sound like a couple of "blue light specials". Hope I'm wrong.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think this seals the deal with Hard Knocks.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy for Stafford. The dude has balled out for a shitty organization for 11 years and half the shitty fans blame him for the lack of success. I'd love him to pull a Verlander and go win one.

But I don’t understand the Lions. A couple years ago they were a bad team with a couple big holes to fill. Then they cut or traded one of their better players, then had to use their top draft pick to choose a new TE to replace him. They still had all the other holes and they used their one built in chance to improve and instead chose to tread water. So last season they were a terrible team with good WR,a good QB, and a Pro Bowl CB. So they booted that CB and used their chance to improve to instead tread water by drafting a new CB. Now they're still a shitty team. Have holes all over the roster, but again they're like "I know! Let's get rid of our best player again. That always works."

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were taking about this on the local sports talk. The hire makes more sense when you think about the type of player/guy in general Spielman is.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I'd rather have him over Todd Bowles or Darrell Bevell as the head coach, I guess. Maybe players from that time frame like Mike Vrabel all have some magic? I'm grasping at straws...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy for Stafford. The dude has balled out for a shitty organization for 11 years and half the shitty fans blame him for the lack of success. I'd love him to pull a Verlander and go win one.

But I don’t understand the Lions. A couple years ago they were a bad team with a couple big holes to fill. Then they cut or traded one of their better players, then had to use their top draft pick to choose a new TE to replace him. They still had all the other holes and they used their one built in chance to improve and instead chose to tread water. So last season they were a terrible team with good WR,a good QB, and a Pro Bowl CB. So they booted that CB and used their chance to improve to instead tread water by drafting a new CB. Now they're still a shitty team. Have holes all over the roster, but again they're like "I know! Let's get rid of our best player again. That always works."
They could’ve payed me $10/hr the last twenty years to be GM and we’d be no worse off.

It’s almost unbelievable how horrible this franchise is.

Happy for Staff. He still has a lot of good football in him. And now he has a chance to make that good football, winning football.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Detroit Lions hiring former NFL GM John Dorsey to front office role - Pride Of Detroit

Over the weekend, rumors had been bubbling up that the Detroit Lions weren’t done rounding out their front office staff despite hiring general manager Brad Holmes and head coach Dan Campbell. On Sunday afternoon, that mystery was solved.

As first reported by NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, and confirmed by many others, the Lions are expected to hire former Chiefs and Browns general manager John Dorsey for an unspecified role within the organization.

BB_72; another P.O.S. added to this team

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions hiring Ray Agnew as assistant GM - Pride Of Detroit

Per NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, Rams director of pro personnel Ray Agnew is being hired as the Lions’ next assistant general manager.

Agnew is a former NFL player, having been drafted by the Patriots in the first round of the 1990 draft. He enjoyed an 11-year career with the Patriots, Giants and Rams. After his playing career, he joined the Rams, rising up the ranks until he reached his current position of director of pro personnel, a position he’s held for the past four years.

Interestingly enough, the Lions will now have two key employees from the Rams’ front office. Holmes was the director of college scouting, so combined with Agnew, they have people from both sides of player personnel acquisition.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Detroit Lions hiring former NFL GM John Dorsey to front office role - Pride Of Detroit

There are some concerns about Dorsey’s workplace demeanor. Here’s Jeff Risdon of both Lions Wire and Browns Wire:

That was a carryover from his Kansas City experience, too. Dorsey has a confrontational nature to him when stressed, and he doesn’t react well to those who don’t fall in lockstep. It’s what led to his departure from the Chiefs.
For someone to come into an environment in an unconventional power structure with a focus on building a cooperative culture, there’s no doubt that Dorsey would be a risk.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: OL coach Hank Fraley is returning to the Detroit Lions in 2021 (usatoday.com)

Under his tutelage in 2020, Taylor Decker had a career season at left tackle, rookie left guard Jonah Jackson was able to effectively start all 16 games, and center Frank Ragnow earned his first Pro Bowl honors, while also being recognized as a second-team All-Pro.

Constant injuries led to a revolving door at right guard and tackle, but Fraley was able to find success with replacement players, even when he was leaning on his fourth offensive tackle in Matt Nelson — who was a defensive lineman at Iowa just two years ago.

Fraley is a highly respected coach, who is known for being able to connect with his players while maximizing their potential. His returning to Detroit is a massive plus for the offense.

BB_72; this is good news in a highly disappointing last 36 hours.
OT Nelson should be re-signed as he showed a lot of potential.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projecting the Detroit Lions defensive scheme with Aaron Glenn as DC (usatoday.com)

Like Lions coach Dan Campbell — who coached with Glenn in New Orleans the last five seasons — Glenn stems from the Bill Parcells coaching tree. He has extensive experience playing in 34 defensive schemes, but his time as a coach with the Saints was in a base 43 scheme.

With the Lions personnel leaning towards players with more 34 traits, it’s possible he leans on some of his past concepts to work with the players the Lions have on their current roster.

Where things get interesting, is when you examine the fact that the Lions almost hired former Los Angeles Chargers defensive line coach Griff Smith. Smith coached a hybrid front with the Chargers, using mainly a 34 Over scheme, which basically operates with 43 Under concepts.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What might new Lions OC Anthony Lynn bring to Detroit's offense? - Detroit Lions Blog- ESPN

offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn, He has handled running backs, worked with special teams, been an assistant head coach, and for one season with the Bills, he coordinated an offense.

With the Bills in 2016, Lynn created the top rushing offense in the NFL in both yards per game (164.4) and yards per attempt (5.35). He did that largely off the team’s best offensive option, LeSean McCoy, who gained 1,267 yards with 13 rushing touchdowns that season.

While Lynn’s offense might look very run-heavy, when he left for the Chargers, he was open to a completely different philosophy. Even though he didn’t call plays with the Chargers, they had the No. 1 passing offense in yards per game (276.9) in 2017 and the No. 4 offense in yards (376.6) and yards per play (5.91).

The next season, the Chargers had a top-10 passing team (255.6 yards, 7.99 yards per attempt) and a top-15 rushing offense (117.1 yards per game, 4.69 yards per attempt). In 2019, Lynn’s Chargers had a less formidable two-pronged attack, as Rivers, Allen and Mike Williams were a top-10 passing offense (276.6 yards per game, 7.41 yards per attempt) with a struggling run game (90.8 yards per game, 3.97 yards per attempt).

Last season, Lynn’s first without Rivers, he had rookie Justin Herbert mostly running the offense. The Chargers still were sixth in passing yards per game (270.6) but No. 17 in yards per attempt (6.9). The run game, without a consistent back because of injuries to Ekeler, gained 111.5 yards per game but only 3.83 yards per attempt.

So what does this mean for the Lions?

Lynn can bring in a run-heavy or pass-heavy offense, so he can both adapt to what works or doesn’t, as well as to his personnel. Considering what Campbell is looking for offensively, this fits.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HC Campbell should provide a Huge benefit to TE Hockenson and the new kid out of U-Wash in Hunter Bryant. Maybe their blocking will go on the uptick with him being able to provide some teaching of the position.