• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is going to stop me? James Harden

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly I don't know how else I could please you. I give you my opinions and you simply don't like what I have to say. That's just life and people disagree.

FYI, You and your Golden State cronies think you're being all bold and macho for saying Russ will never win a title. I've got news for you - It's not all that bold a proclamation. The vast majority of great players that play in our league will, in fact, not win a title.

However, still 31, he deserves his chance to evolve the system.

Heck, three years ago at this time no one would have said a "treadmill" team like the Raptors couldn't ever win a title. Of course the star-driven divas of the world will give Kawhi all the credit for that one, but it turns out they are a damn good team without him as well.

I'm sorry if you take my posts as a personal attack on you. However, some folks spend too much time on here that they can't help but be brainwashed by other posters. I'm not one that's just going to piggyback a given post just because tlance said it or trojan said it, msgkings, Mecca, etc...

Apparently that's the part where you and I don't see eye to eye. I prefer to be innovative and form my own opinions and not be too influenced by my surroundings.

If Westbrook wins a title, it's mostly going to be because of Harden. I love the energy that Westbrook brings, but he often plays uncontrolled and he'll probably never be a good shooter. Harden is the exact opposite. He's always under control and no one has more skills. He gets a lot of flak because he hasn't won a title yet, but he's arguably been the best player in the NBA for the last 3-4 years. His step back 3 is basically unstoppable. As the opponent, you just hope that he misses.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Westbrook wins a title, it's mostly going to be because of Harden. I love the energy that Westbrook brings, but he often plays uncontrolled and he'll probably never be a good shooter. Harden is the exact opposite. He's always under control and no one has more skills. He gets a lot of flak because he hasn't won a title yet, but he's arguably been the best player in the NBA for the last 3-4 years. His step back 3 is basically unstoppable. As the opponent, you just hope that he misses.
Best OFFENSIVE player perhaps

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s really unstoppable when the refs let him walk when he does it.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best OFFENSIVE player perhaps

He's really not that bad at defense anymore. I know there are several low light plays from the past where he looks lazy (maybe too tired from carrying the team on his back), but he has improved. When I've seen Rockets games recently, I see Harden giving effort on defense. He's gotta be one of the strongest guards, and he uses his strength very well on the defensive end. Offensive players don't do well trying to back him down into the post.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s really unstoppable when the refs let him walk when he does it.

Everyone does it, though. There are some ridiculous James Harden examples, but other players have them, too. I think there are sections of the court where refs really just don't even watch out for traveling. I believe refs do give star players the benefit of the doubt, but Harden is hardly alone as a star player.

I think traveling actually happens a lot on drives to the basket, but we rarely ever question it. It's incredibly difficult to be sure of a traveling call while watching a play live. These guys are so fast, and the ref simultaneously has to watch the feet and watch when the ball is picked up. I'm not surprised that traveling is called very infrequently. There was a play last night where Giannis looked like he took three steps, and then they showed the replay in slow motion. I still thought it might have been a travel, but even on the slow motion replay, it was very hard to tell if the first step was a gather step.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still thought it might have been a travel, but even on the slow motion replay, it was very hard to tell if the first step was a gather step.

It shouldn't matter. A gather step is still a step. Step back jumpers moving more than one of your feet are travels. Jump stops, then going up for a shot are travels. The league keeps stretching the definition further and further from it's original intent.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't matter. A gather step is still a step. Step back jumpers moving more than one of your feet are travels. Jump stops, then going up for a shot are travels. The league keeps stretching the definition further and further from it's original intent.

LOL. Officially, the gather step isn't counted for traveling, but maybe the league should announce that three steps are allowed since enforcement has been so lax anyway. I think that in any sport, it's hard to do anything off of two steps. You need three steps to really have power and balance. Three steps gets you back into a better position for your stronger hand.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden is probably the best scorer in the history of the game. He simply cannot be stopped, even by double teaming. Sadly, his style excludes his teammates and stifles player and ball movement. I admire his handle and scoring ability but like most of you, I find him a bit boring despite his brilliance. I'm an old school guy--I like the Popovich approach to the game. Give me ball movement, player movement and unselfish passing. My fear is he will be emulated by impressionable high school and college players. The game has already been hurt by too many 3 attempts. Ah well...change is change is change but not always for the better.

"Harden is probably the best scorer in the history of the game"

source.gif

download (1).jpg

MJ- 30.12 ppg (# 1 all time)
Wilt- 30.07 ppg (# 2 all time)
Harden- 24.96 ppg (# 13 all time)

MJ averaged at least 30 ppg 8 times
Wilt averaged at least 30 ppg 9 times
Harden's averaged at least 30 ppg 3 times

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you have to do is double team him. A one trick pony LOL

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden is pure trash, made a complete mockery of the game

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well,

in fairness, if teams tried to double MJ the way they are doubling Harden they would get called for illegal defense pretty constantly.
The rules were different then - Michael Jordan got away with things he would never get away with today - besides that I say he could fly

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%. I'd also add that it's one thing to do what he does when a team is seeing him in a single regular season game.

It's a little different when they get to see him for potentially 7 straight games and can concentrate of ways to defend him.

Doesn't necessarily "stop" him, he's going to get his points.

But, as the shooting numbers @Shanemansj13 showed...making him inefficient helps a lot.
The Lakers played small ball with bigger players and beat D'antoni at his own game - In the end - the Lakers bench is deeper and better. When you depend on an 8 man rotation - you don't that those two or three extra players like Rondo to bail you out and be the X factor

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don’t

Please tell me you didn’t just do that. I wasn’t the biggest Kobe fan but even I recognize how wrong that was.
Kobe and Lakers usually won when he held his shots under 21, but when he shot more, they nearly always lost. There is a balance.. Harden has been badly coached since he left the Thunder