• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who here shoots a crossbow?

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably getting one for Christmas and I tested two today - leaning toward an Excalibur Recurve - probably Axiom, since it's a good bang for the buck. I like the recurve, and there's less to wear out being a recurve. Also more accurate over the course of a string. Great reviews, felt good in my hands. Twanged a bit more than I liked, but that can be dampened.

Axiom
6845-Axiom-SMF-Kit-Image.jpg

Also in the running is a Tenpoint Compound - likely the Titan Extreme. I saw other good reviews and liked the way it felt in my hands today. $40 more than the Axiom. Didn't really see much I disliked other than it being a compound.

Titan Xtreme
TitanXtreme_ACUDraw_Large.jpg

The budget is the $550 range, max. Excalibur Package comes in right at that limit for a package deal. So I get Bolts with it. I can stretch to $600 if I decide on the Tenpoint. Both are considered good.

Anyone here have input on these within that price range. Care to suggest something else? I will be trying to take down whitetails next fall, so I have some time to practice with it. My biggest hangup with the compound would be that over time, the wear on the string and components could throw off the shot and if I ever need to restring, I may have to take it to a smith. Neither is likely with the recurve.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, should have posted in the Guns and Shooting Forum, I guess. Mods - can you make it happen?

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
go reliable

That would be the Excalibur. Certainly less to break, and from what I have researched, they are built like a tank and are dead on accurate over long periods, unlike the compounds which have to zero'd in more often.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so less to break, and more accurate? seems like a winner

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so less to break, and more accurate? seems like a winner

Hoping someone on here can give firsthand knowledge on one they own. It's a big purchase and I want the lowdown on anyone else's experience with either type.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have shot a few. My brother hunts with one due to a bad shoulder. Dont have much info to pass along but my Bro's was a beast at 50 yds off my deck.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably getting one for Christmas and I tested two today - leaning toward an Excalibur Recurve - probably Axiom, since it's a good bang for the buck. I like the recurve, and there's less to wear out being a recurve. Also more accurate over the course of a string. Great reviews, felt good in my hands. Twanged a bit more than I liked, but that can be dampened.

Axiom
6845-Axiom-SMF-Kit-Image.jpg

Also in the running is a Tenpoint Compound - likely the Titan Extreme. I saw other good reviews and liked the way it felt in my hands today. $40 more than the Axiom. Didn't really see much I disliked other than it being a compound.

Titan Xtreme
TitanXtreme_ACUDraw_Large.jpg

The budget is the $550 range, max. Excalibur Package comes in right at that limit for a package deal. So I get Bolts with it. I can stretch to $600 if I decide on the Tenpoint. Both are considered good.

Anyone here have input on these within that price range. Care to suggest something else? I will be trying to take down whitetails next fall, so I have some time to practice with it. My biggest hangup with the compound would be that over time, the wear on the string and components could throw off the shot and if I ever need to restring, I may have to take it to a smith. Neither is likely with the recurve.

I actually sell them...The Ten Point Titan Extreme with the AcuDraw is my number 1 selling crossbow...its more compact and your wife, gf, kids, grandkids, in a wheelchair and one armed could operate it and shoot it. The bonus of only having to lube the rail every 80 to 100 shots is nice also

The Excalburs used to be the most reliable out of all the crossbows but the compounds have finally gained a lot of ground on them. The nice part about Excals is you can actually decock it without firing it, less moving parts...the bad side is size and they made all their field tips and bolts exclusively to fit the excals...they are the only ones to shoot 150 gr heads.

thats my 1 cents of information.

fire away any questions if you have any.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Ghost 385 is one of the hotter ones this year, mainly because of 385 fps and starting to get some good feedback on them...but I wouldnt go for the 410's, they are having issues with broadheads, you have to get the smaller more compact fixed ones or the bolts get squirelly.

Darton is another good one...

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 10 point with AcuDraw is 699 but if you are going to eventually add the crank (which is by far and away the best one on the market) you want the factory set one. The extra 200 bucks is worth it if anyone else uses it...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is the difference hunting wise between a gun and a crossbow?? Of course i dont mean the actual weapon and arrow vs bullet...

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is the difference hunting wise between a gun and a crossbow?? Of course i dont mean the actual weapon and arrow vs bullet...

cross bows are dead accurate and lethal to 60 to 70 yards tops. They have been used for mainly handicapped people but states are opening them up to all ages every year...Kansas just opened up their regs.

They are more quite than a gun and the arrows drop and impact drops dramatically and faster than a bullet...

a crossbow is basically between a Bow and a shotgun in distance effectiveness...and you don't have to practice...they are that good. Basically bow hunters who don't have the time to practice or just not love bow hunting will switch to a crossbow...they are accurate because you won't get 2nd shots.

You can use them pre rut before gun season, in urban areas and in alternative method times.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cross bows are dead accurate and lethal to 60 to 70 yards tops. They have been used for mainly handicapped people but states are opening them up to all ages every year...Kansas just opened up their regs.

They are more quite than a gun and the arrows drop and impact drops dramatically and faster than a bullet...

a crossbow is basically between a Bow and a shotgun in distance effectiveness...and you don't have to practice...they are that good. Basically bow hunters who don't have the time to practice or just not love bow hunting will switch to a crossbow...they are accurate because you won't get 2nd shots.

You can use them pre rut before gun season, in urban areas and in alternative method times.

This is why I am looking. I hate bows and suck at shooting them, but envy the guys that start hunting weeks before I do. They opened up MS to crossbows during bow season for all persons, so I am doing that.

And talk about accurate, I was shocked. I shot two bolts with the Tenpoint and I think my second went into the same hole made by the first.

da55 - your 1 cent is worth alot. Do you own the place you sell from or make comission? PM me prices for the two above. Where

Also, what would you recommend for a first time crossbow - it has to take down a whitetail at 40-50 yards (I won't try shooting one farther than that most likely). Price below $600 please.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I am looking. I hate bows and suck at shooting them, but envy the guys that start hunting weeks before I do. They opened up MS to crossbows during bow season for all persons, so I am doing that.

And talk about accurate, I was shocked. I shot two bolts with the Tenpoint and I think my second went into the same hole made by the first.

da55 - your 1 cent is worth alot. Do you own the place you sell from or make comission? PM me prices for the two above. Where

Also, what would you recommend for a first time crossbow - it has to take down a whitetail at 40-50 yards (I won't try shooting one farther than that most likely). Price below $600 please.

I do not get commission, not til next summer. At cabelas right now, moving to a place that I can make more money after learning all this, been there 3 years. You can just look them up on line at cabelas...if I send one to you I will make money though, lol...with all the accessories of course, lol...

and do not shoot at the same place twice, we have bolts shatter all the time when people do that...they are that accurate.

If you go somewhere else, make sure you get a decocking arrow, thats the way to go if you stand hunt. Also don't get a target...just use the cheaper decocking bags...they look like mini targets but as you know now, you do not need big targets or any practice with them...

Rail lube, string wax and a hard case if you have kids or grandkids playing around...it just protects the scope too from getting bumped, thats the only way they become not accurate.

599 ten point
549 axiom

If you do choose Cabelas, call the KCK store and ask for Jon Hanson or Ben Highby and tell them Mike C sent you. They can help you out with the order and will waive all the shipping charges if you mention my name.

Last edited by a moderator:

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, in case of Zombie Apocalypse, you don't have to worry about running out of bullets.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been using a Horton with a Red Dot scope. No complaints here.

Horton went under last year, the quite is, they were bought by TenPoint but TenPoint wanted nothing to do with the name. Horton had a huge issue with one of their crossbows blowing up all the time, almost everyone, after they hit the open market. Had a Horton rep come in and out of 15, 13 blew up on him that we had in stock...was not good, that one bow put them under.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horton went under last year, the quite is, they were bought by TenPoint but TenPoint wanted nothing to do with the name. Horton had a huge issue with one of their crossbows blowing up all the time, almost everyone, after they hit the open market. Had a Horton rep come in and out of 15, 13 blew up on him that we had in stock...was not good, that one bow put them under.

Fodder for my decision. I am now leaning STRONGLY recurve Excalibur. Only a miracle will get me to buy ( or rather, have the wife buy and place under the tree) a compound anything. I have read enough on both types. Wisdom and popular opinion from those that have owned both types is pointing me to the Axiom.

I am sure there are owners of compounds here that will disagree, but I am almost completely convinced. Sure, the compound I shot was sweet, but it's a bitch to know I have to pay $50 more for the compound I liked and I will have to take it in to get restrung and all those moving parts. And the only problem I had against the recurve was twang, and that can be mitigated.

One of the problems I had against compound bows re-emerges here. The contraptions hunters shoot today are less related to bows than a recurve crossbow. Bow hunting, don't make me laugh, unless we are talking about actual recurve bows. Bow hunting purists are a joke if they aren't shooting some Robin Hood type weapon. I have seen all the shit they put on their "bows" to help them hit a mark.

I never really much liked compounds, but was willing to give one a try in case I was wrong. I don't think I am wrong at this point. I have researched enough and read too much. Excalibur Axiom for me.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You remember the model of the Horton Bow? I will have to look at mine and see. I rarely bow hunt. I have killed one deer with it and it hasn't been fired in 3 years.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You remember the model of the Horton Bow? I will have to look at mine and see. I rarely bow hunt. I have killed one deer with it and it hasn't been fired in 3 years.

It was a bow that came out 2 or 3 years ago...if you bought before then, your definately clear...if not I will try and find the name of it.