• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Doesn't Love Power Rankings For The Playoffs?

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's saying the Sabres have a pretty good chance. :L

1. (1) Vancouver Canucks (1st in West, 117 points): The Canucks have never won the cup, but there is plenty of reason to expect everything to change. Both of the other Canadian hockey teams to host the Olympics won the Stanley Cup the following year, and the Canucks hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics. They also have the best offense, stingiest defense, and highest goal differential. Maybe it’s time, but would it really surprise anyone if the Blackhawks took them out in the first round?

2. (2) Washington Capitals (1st in East, 107 points): Wouldn’t it be something if Alexander Ovechkin wins the Stanley Cup while his rival Sidney Crosby is out with a concussion? They’ve let in the second fewest goals in the Eastern Conference. This could be the year.

3. (3) San Jose Sharks (2nd in West, 105 points): They rank third largely because of their first round draw. The Sharks face the Kings while Los Angeles is without two of their best players. The Sharks first line is responsible for 84 goals, 123 assists, and one vehicular homicide. Don’t sleep on San Jose this year.

4. (9) Detroit Red Wings (3rd in West, 104 points): Finally, some spunk from the perennial contenders from Hockeytown. Detroit beat the Blackhawks in what could have been an elimination game to end the season. When it comes down to it, who can handle this explosive offense?

5. (10) Boston Bruins (3rd in East, 103 points): The Bruins allowed the fewest goals in the Eastern Conference this year and have a goaltender in Tim Thomas that can win a playoff game singlehandedly. They stumbled down the stretch, but they’ll figure it out against the Canadiens. Montreal is struggling as well.

6. (12) Philadelphia Flyers (2nd in East, 106 points): I want to dismiss Philadelphia, but I can’t. They had an inexplicably mediocre finish but they’re actually a good team. Many questioned their motivation (despite being last year’s runner-up), their roster (despite seven 20+ goal scorers), and their goaltending (despite depth). I don’t know why Philadelphia stunk down the stretch, but I expect them to do better in the playoffs.

7. (8) Pittsburgh Penguins (4th in East, 106 points): They look like they’ll be without Sidney Crosby in the first round, but they have an easy draw against the Tampa Bay Lightning. That might be enough to squeak through to the second round and rematch the Capitals.

8. (11) Tampa Bay Lightning (5th in East, 103 points): They struggled down the stretch, but they draw the Penguins without Sidney Crosby in the first round. After knocking out the Hurricanes in an elimination game, it’s hard to question this team. They should give the Penguins a challenge.

9. (5) Nashville Predators (5th in West, 99 points): The Predators are the second stingiest defense in the Western Conference. They’re lucky, in that they face the Anaheim Ducks in the first round.

10. (6) Anaheim Ducks (4th in West, 99 points): They have a home-ice advantage over the Predators, but I think Anaheim is the inferior team. They’ll have a tough matchup against the Predators defense after shockingly sliding into fourth place.

11. (4) Phoenix Coyotes (6th in West, 99 points): Phoenix has trouble scoring goals, which plays to the Red Wings’ advantage. Phoenix has let in the third-most goals of the playoff teams in their conference, while the Red Wings scored the second most. I like the Coyotes, I just hate this matchup.

12. (15) Chicago Blackhawks (8th in West, 97 points): They have the most difficult matchup of all the playoff teams, but they’re one of the most capable of handling the challenge. The Canucks are statistically the best team in the NHL in nearly every way. The Blackhawks are the defending champs though, and the Canucks haven’t won a single Stanley Cup. Don’t count the Hawks out, despite their unceremonious playoff berth.

13. (14) New York Rangers (8th in East, 93 points): They’re banged up, but Henrik Lundqvist is so good that it might not matter. I don’t think they’re ready to win the cup, but they are certainly capable of beating the Capitals. Washington has struggled in the playoffs during the Ovechkin era, and if the Rangers can shut down the Capitals offense they have a chance in the first round.

14. (13) Buffalo Sabres (7th in East, 95 points): I’m still waiting for this team to fall apart. Nothing stands out. They have a good goalie that is playing decent hockey, but can they score enough to upset the Flyers? I don’t think so.

15. (16) Montreal Canadiens (6th in East, 96 points): After how far they’ve fallen, do you trust these guys to find their way past the Boston Bruins? I don’t. They might scratch out a few games in Montreal, but they won’t win that series.

16. (7) Los Angeles Kings (7th in West, 98 points): They struggled down the stretch because of injuries to their best players – Justin Williams and Anze Kopitar. Quite frankly, there isn’t enough left on this roster to fear. They have a goalie that can win them a few games against the Sharks, but they don’t have the roster to win the series.

NHL Power Rankings: First Round of 2011 NHL Playoffs Hockey

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sharks first line is responsible for 84 goals, 123 assists, and one vehicular homicide. Don’t sleep on San Jose this year.

WOW!

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They have a good goalie that is playing decent hockey, but can they score enough to upset the Flyers? I don’t think so."

Where does this come from? They were fourth in the conference in goals scored only 1 behind Boston and 2 behind Tampa and they can't score?

Then I guess the Caps and Pens are in deep shit because they scored less than the Sabres did. Plus now Miller is healthy and we have a dependable back-up.

I hope teams take them lightly, I really do.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sharks first line is responsible for 84 goals, 123 assists, and one vehicular homicide.

The guy who wrote this line needs a Heater elbow to the chops...

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how he says that the Pens have an easy draw against Tampa but then goes on to say that the Lightning should give the Pens a challenge.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn’t it be something if Alexander Ovechkin wins the Stanley Cup while his rival Sidney Crosby is out with a concussion?

This is awesome fodder for another Sports Board that I won't mention by name.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good comments both ways. I like most of the responders feel the Sabres offense is being taken for granted.

It's their young defense that scares me. What group of guy's will show up? Also Ruff will tighten them up for the playoffs, I would bet on that.

JMO.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This power rankings is meaningless.
I want the ORM ranking.
Comeds, quit slacking.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy who wrote this line needs a Heater elbow to the chops...

Matt Cooke could oblige him, he's got a ton of free time these days :clock:

And so much for Tampa being an "easy draw". What is easy about Steven Stamkos, Vinny and the great Gazoo?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes. the heatley thing is a tired topic. let it go already. the fact that this guy dropped it in there in such an obvious spot just smacks of lazy writing and makes me not want to take anything else he says seriously.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Cooke could oblige him, he's got a ton of free time these days :clock:

And so much for Tampa being an "easy draw". What is easy about Steven Stamkos, Vinny and the great Gazoo?

Because most of these clowns have short memories and pick the higher seeds. I guess they haven't watched playoff hockey for the last 30 years.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because most of these clowns have short memories and pick the higher seeds. I guess they haven't watched playoff hockey for the last 30 years.

LOL, what is really funny/not so funny about Rolo.......... he was a deadline pickup for the Oil back in 2006 when he led them all the way to the finals, lightning never strikes twice, right?!?:tinfoil3:

Last edited by a moderator: