• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Are Your Picks for AL/NL Cy Young and MVP?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the AL, is it Vlad or Shohei? Or does someone think Salvy should get it?!
In the NL, is it only Harper and Turner?

For Cy Young, Cole is locked for the AL right? But in the NL, a trifecta of Dodger pitchers try to claim it. Scherzer leads Buehler and Urias in Ks and ERA, Urias has the most wins. Who's got your votes?!

Let's Discuss!!!!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL MVP: Ohtani (Vlad may have been the best position player in the AL, but Ohtani also provided another 3 WAR with his arm)
AL CYA: Ray (Cole has the better peripherals, but Ray's ERA+ was still 21 points better and he threw 12 more innings, Cole's still a good choice)
NL MVP: Harper (him, Soto, Turner and Tatis have good cases IMO; I think all four are very reasonable choices)
NL CYA: Wheeler (hard to resist Burnes' eye popping peripherals, but I think Wheeler's edge in IP more than makes up for that, especially now that 200+ IP pitchers are becoming a rare breed)

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohtani for AL MVP, AL Cy Young I can't decide between Cole and Robbie Ray.
NL Cy Young is a tough one. If it was 20 years ago Urias is a shoo in with his 20-3 record. I"m going to go with a pick that won't win and say Zack Wheeler. NL MVP is even tougher. Harper was easily the most valuable Phillie but he wasn't enough to get them to the postseason. I would give it to Tatis even with the time missed if the Padres didn't have that epic collapse. Soto probably had the best individual season but his organization gave up on the team in July. I guess Harper but if we're going with someone on a team that made the postseason I might get crazy and go Brandon Crawford or Austin Riley.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL MVP: Ohtani (Vlad may have been the best position player in the AL, but Ohtani also provided another 3 WAR with his arm)
AL CYA: Ray (Cole has the better peripherals, but Ray's ERA+ was still 21 points better and he threw 12 more innings, Cole's still a good choice)
NL MVP: Harper (him, Soto, Turner and Tatis have good cases IMO; I think all four are very reasonable choices)
NL CYA: Wheeler (hard to resist Burnes' eye popping peripherals, but I think Wheeler's edge in IP more than makes up for that, especially now that 200+ IP pitchers are becoming a rare breed)
wow, I type too slow. I had a very similar take on all of those

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohtani for AL MVP, AL Cy Young I can't decide between Cole and Robbie Ray.
NL Cy Young is a tough one. If it was 20 years ago Urias is a shoo in with his 20-3 record. I"m going to go with a pick that won't win and say Zack Wheeler. NL MVP is even tougher. Harper was easily the most valuable Phillie but he wasn't enough to get them to the postseason. I would give it to Tatis even with the time missed if the Padres didn't have that epic collapse. Soto probably had the best individual season but his organization gave up on the team in July. I guess Harper but if we're going with someone on a team that made the postseason I might get crazy and go Brandon Crawford or Austin Riley.
I think Craw deserves consideration, and should rank higher than he actually will, but he is more of a Gibson / Pendleton type candidate, and in a season where there are legit (by the numbers) candidates, he isn’t going to win.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Craw deserves consideration, and should rank higher than he actually will, but he is more of a Gibson / Pendleton type candidate, and in a season where there are legit (by the numbers) candidates, he isn’t going to win.
Yeah, some of these awards are kind of silly anyway because different people use different criteria. Crawford is kind of a stretch but the rationale is that the Giants had a lot of moving pieces due to injuries, platoons but he was a constant at a tough position and had a career year offensively. Harper is probably the right choice but as a Phillies fan if I'm voting on the last day of the season after the Phillies didn't make the playoffs Again I'd have a tough time bringing myself to take Wheeler And Harper. Or maybe Trea Turner because he was valuable to the Nationals for the prospects he brought and valuable to the Dodgers down the stretch.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, some of these awards are kind of silly anyway because different people use different criteria. Crawford is kind of a stretch but the rationale is that the Giants had a lot of moving pieces due to injuries, platoons but he was a constant at a tough position and had a career year offensively. Harper is probably the right choice but as a Phillies fan if I'm voting on the last day of the season after the Phillies didn't make the playoffs Again I'd have a tough time bringing myself to take Wheeler And Harper. Or maybe Trea Turner because he was valuable to the Nationals for the prospects he brought and valuable to the Dodgers down the stretch.

Cy young has never had anything to do with team performance

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be argumentative…

Take Harper off the Phils, how does it affect the Phil’s season? Take Tatis off the Padres, how does it affect the Padres’ season? When Trea joined the dogs, they were in second place in the West with a huge lead in the WC race. When the season ended, they were in second place in the West and won the WC.

By the “most valuable to their team” definition, I am not certain the award CAN be given to anyone other than Craw. And his numbers were good enough to at least get him into the discussion at the brainstorm stage. If you factor in his defense, he probably makes it past a few cuts in the whittle down phase as well.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be argumentative…

Take Harper off the Phils, how does it affect the Phil’s season? Take Tatis off the Padres, how does it affect the Padres’ season? When Trea joined the dogs, they were in second place in the West with a huge lead in the WC race. When the season ended, they were in second place in the West and won the WC.

By the “most valuable to their team” definition, I am not certain the award CAN be given to anyone other than Craw. And his numbers were good enough to at least get him into the discussion at the brainstorm stage. If you factor in his defense, he probably makes it past a few cuts in the whittle down phase as well.
That's a fair argument. I could possibly be persuaded if we were voting in a 12 Angry Men scenario.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cy young has never had anything to do with team performance
It probably shouldn't but up until recently many voters absolutely only based it on players with a lot of Wins. Take for example, Lamarr Hoyt? Pete Vukovich?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably shouldn't but up until recently many voters absolutely only based it on players with a lot of Wins. Take for example, Lamarr Hoyt? Pete Vukovich?

First off, they are moving away from pitcher win totals.

A second, you said that because of the Phillies finish you’d have trouble taking Wheeler AND Harper.

Team performance in the standings and playoffs does not impact Cy Young at all. It never has.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, they are moving away from pitcher win totals.

A second, you said that because of the Phillies finish you’d have trouble taking Wheeler AND Harper.

Team performance in the standings and playoffs does not impact Cy Young at all. It never has.
1. I agree.
2. The thing about the Phillies was kind of a joke-just me taking a shot at my hometown team that faded at the end. Imagine you're a writer that's a Phillies fan. You take Wheeler because you believe he had the best individual season for a pitcher. Then you get to MVP and you see Harper, who you have been considering all along because you have seen how he was able to carry a bad/mediocre team to at least play meaningful games into late September. But given that you just punched the ballot for Wheeler (deservedly so) I can see some writer saying "fuck you Bryce you should have done more. Why am I picking all these Phillies when they couldn't even make the postseason" at least for a split second.
3. I agree