• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: White Sox vs. Red Sox - Battle of the Sox

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prediction - this is where Moncada wakes up. Vaughn discovers the Green Monster and La Russa starts getting serious about the season.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus. Burn those uniforms with fire!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...This is bad.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-0....

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two walks...Lame.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down the rat hole....

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By far the best "stadium" experience I ever had was at Fenway. The place is the bomb.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gg boys. :(

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By far the best "stadium" experience I ever had was at Fenway. The place is the bomb.
I hated it tbh. College atmosphere. I like the chill atmosphere of Comiskey.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again our pen has let us down and our bats have been been so-so at best. This is getting to be annoying.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated it tbh. College atmosphere. I like the chill atmosphere of Comiskey.
I went there for the 1st game Bobby Bonds ever played there - the crowd chanted "Steroids - Steroids" every AB. You are correct - it was 38K drunk people, but the singing of "Sweet Caroline" in the middle of the 8th sold me as a great tradition.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again our pen has let us down and our bats have been been so-so at best. This is getting to be annoying.
One the bright side - the one thing you can count on in baseball is that things will change. I'm hoping - in this case - a turnaround.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went there for the 1st game Bobby Bonds ever played there - the crowd chanted "Steroids - Steroids" every AB. You are correct - it was 38K drunk people, but the singing of "Sweet Caroline" in the middle of the 8th sold me as a great tradition.

The Sweet Caroline was by far the best part. I've been to Fenway once. Went in 2005 in August. Never forget it. Was in town to visit wifey (then fiancee's) family and we met a good friend downtown Boston on a Friday night. Decided to give finding tickets a try since the friend loves baseball too and none of us had been to Fenway. So there we are doing the "find the tickets from a scalper outside the stadium thing." Can't find anyone with 3 together...Get hounded by one guy that has 3 left, but apart...which means we'll either have to luck into finding some empties or stand.

Well...Buehrle was pitching so I sold them that worst case standing it would only be a 2-2/12 hour game, and the scalper was willing to let go reasonably cuz he just wanted to be done...so f it...Let's do it. (Long story short...The game lasted 3 hours...but that's because 17 runs were scored...God Bless Mark Buehrle.....and yeah, we tried, but ended up standing most of the time behind the seats on the first base line right next to the bigass line of drunks waiting for their next beer purchase...LOL)

The biggest thing that I'll remember from that game (even moreso than Sweet Caroline and that is EXTREMELY memorable) is that we didn't exist. Mind you, this was August 2005 before our late swoon and we were rocking the best record in the AL (Maybe MLB...can't remember where the Cardinals were). Red Sox fans were rocking from breaking their curse with a WS win just the past October. But what are their fans doing ALL GAME LONG? "Yankees Suck" and "Arod Sucks" chants. Over and over and over. I kept asking folks around me..."You guys DO realize you're not playing the Yankees?"

A microcosm of the worst part of baseball. Teams (and thus fans of teams) don't have a legitimate fear/care about the overran smaller-spending teams. We don't exist to them. And, sadly, they're right so often that you can't blame them. 9 times out of 10 (and that's being gracious) the Chicago White Sox are a speedbump to the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/etc of the world. Will say this though, it tickled my pickle in ways my wife could only dream of when we bounced them via sweep a month and a half later.

As far as stadium experience? I'll take chill/family friendly over party-like every time. Been that way forever, honestly. When I go to a game, I like to really settle in and focus on the things you don't get to see on TV. Defensive positions, non-verbal communication between coaches and players...HUGE bonus if I can actually hear the communications from the dugout. It's kind of sacrilege to say, but I'll take a game in the Trop Sox/Devil Rays where I can sit back and take it all in without a bunch of bozos distracting away from the game itself. Stadium be damned. FFS, EVERY other sport is nonstop stress/drama/bozos (Looking at you football)...Baseball I like chill. Ha. I'm gonna give iddy a run for his money when I'm a little bit older with the old crotchety thing.

(Some of the above is why I lean towards hoping they keep a 162 game season rather than speed up the season to get to the more marketable "do or die fans on the edge" games sooner)

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I know...tl;dr.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sweet Caroline was by far the best part. I've been to Fenway once. Went in 2005 in August. Never forget it. Was in town to visit wifey (then fiancee's) family and we met a good friend downtown Boston on a Friday night. Decided to give finding tickets a try since the friend loves baseball too and none of us had been to Fenway. So there we are doing the "find the tickets from a scalper outside the stadium thing." Can't find anyone with 3 together...Get hounded by one guy that has 3 left, but apart...which means we'll either have to luck into finding some empties or stand.

Well...Buehrle was pitching so I sold them that worst case standing it would only be a 2-2/12 hour game, and the scalper was willing to let go reasonably cuz he just wanted to be done...so f it...Let's do it. (Long story short...The game lasted 3 hours...but that's because 17 runs were scored...God Bless Mark Buehrle.....and yeah, we tried, but ended up standing most of the time behind the seats on the first base line right next to the bigass line of drunks waiting for their next beer purchase...LOL)

The biggest thing that I'll remember from that game (even moreso than Sweet Caroline and that is EXTREMELY memorable) is that we didn't exist. Mind you, this was August 2005 before our late swoon and we were rocking the best record in the AL (Maybe MLB...can't remember where the Cardinals were). Red Sox fans were rocking from breaking their curse with a WS win just the past October. But what are their fans doing ALL GAME LONG? "Yankees Suck" and "Arod Sucks" chants. Over and over and over. I kept asking folks around me..."You guys DO realize you're not playing the Yankees?"

A microcosm of the worst part of baseball. Teams (and thus fans of teams) don't have a legitimate fear/care about the overran smaller-spending teams. We don't exist to them. And, sadly, they're right so often that you can't blame them. 9 times out of 10 (and that's being gracious) the Chicago White Sox are a speedbump to the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/etc of the world. Will say this though, it tickled my pickle in ways my wife could only dream of when we bounced them via sweep a month and a half later.

As far as stadium experience? I'll take chill/family friendly over party-like every time. Been that way forever, honestly. When I go to a game, I like to really settle in and focus on the things you don't get to see on TV. Defensive positions, non-verbal communication between coaches and players...HUGE bonus if I can actually hear the communications from the dugout. It's kind of sacrilege to say, but I'll take a game in the Trop Sox/Devil Rays where I can sit back and take it all in without a bunch of bozos distracting away from the game itself. Stadium be damned. FFS, EVERY other sport is nonstop stress/drama/bozos (Looking at you football)...Baseball I like chill. Ha. I'm gonna give iddy a run for his money when I'm a little bit older with the old crotchety thing.

(Some of the above is why I lean towards hoping they keep a 162 game season rather than speed up the season to get to the more marketable "do or die fans on the edge" games sooner)
Excellent account Jiddy. You will notice - I said "stadium" experience rather than baseball experience. Still better than Wrigley where the crowd was probably just as drunk, but most of them didn't care that a baseball game was being played.

Yesterday - the Bosox fans were chanting breakup the Yankees - true to your point.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1618766039218.gif

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06